nisarg2010

5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone,

As a High school senior, I took Cac II last semester and I am currently taking Calculus III as a joint enrolment student with Georgia Tech. Last semester, I recieved a B in Calc II and I think I will be getting either an A or a B this semester in Calculus III. Next year I am going to attend University of Georgia (not sure yet). Do you think I should take the credit for these classes or not?

Thank you for the help

Mar 16, 2010
Virginia
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone,

As a High school senior, I took Cac II last semester and I am currently taking Calculus III as a joint enrolment student with Georgia Tech. Last semester, I recieved a B in Calc II and I think I will be getting either an A or a B this semester in Calculus III. Next year I am going to attend University of Georgia (not sure yet). Do you think I should take the credit for these classes or not?

Thank you for the help
I don't understand why you would not? Certainly it's best in college to start with as many credits as possible, it will save you a lot of time and money.

organdonor

7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hmm, this one's a thinker.

In the end, it really won't matter anyways. This is because when you apply to medical schools, they will require ALL transcripts of any college course you ever took anywhere. Therefore you will have to report both of these scores to AMCAS.

As far as getting credit at your undergrad institution, can you maybe take credit for the class if you get an A in it but not for the one you have a B in? However slim the chance may be, if your undergrad doesn't REQUIRE all classes taken to be figured into GPA, could you still get a 4.0? (I would call your undergrad and ask them) How hard would you kick yourself in the ass if the only thing keeping you from graduating summa cum laude (4.0) is a stupid class you took in high school?

An A would obviously help your GPA, but the B (hopefully) wouldn't. If they would transfer without a grade, but you still get credit, go for it.

Like I said before, ultimately it doesn't matter for medical school, because you already have a B that must be reported to AMCAS (not saying that is a bad thing) even if your undergrad says you got a 4.0

If you really aren't too concerned with a PERFECT GPA (I wouldn't be) I would still probably do whatever option lets me get out of taking calc again. Although I find it interesting compared to almost all other math, you will not need that stuff again. Not for physics, not for chemistry, not even for the MCAT. ever. seriously.

*edit*
On second thought, after that much calculus, is it something that you enjoy? Maybe you should look into getting a math minor? If you could receive credit for three semesters of calculus you may well be on your way to one. Some on here will argue that minors/second majors don't help you, but how could it hurt if you are already that close? I've got two majors, and an acceptance, so there is your proof lol.

nisarg2010

5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
hmm, this one's a thinker.

In the end, it really won't matter anyways. This is because when you apply to medical schools, they will require ALL transcripts of any college course you ever took anywhere. Therefore you will have to report both of these scores to AMCAS.

As far as getting credit at your undergrad institution, can you maybe take credit for the class if you get an A in it but not for the one you have a B in? However slim the chance may be, if your undergrad doesn't REQUIRE all classes taken to be figured into GPA, could you still get a 4.0? (I would call your undergrad and ask them) How hard would you kick yourself in the ass if the only thing keeping you from graduating summa cum laude (4.0) is a stupid class you took in high school?

An A would obviously help your GPA, but the B (hopefully) wouldn't. If they would transfer without a grade, but you still get credit, go for it.

Like I said before, ultimately it doesn't matter for medical school, because you already have a B that must be reported to AMCAS (not saying that is a bad thing) even if your undergrad says you got a 4.0

If you really aren't too concerned with a PERFECT GPA (I wouldn't be) I would still probably do whatever option lets me get out of taking calc again. Although I find it interesting compared to almost all other math, you will not need that stuff again. Not for physics, not for chemistry, not even for the MCAT. ever. seriously.

*edit*
On second thought, after that much calculus, is it something that you enjoy? Maybe you should look into getting a math minor? If you could receive credit for three semesters of calculus you may well be on your way to one. Some on here will argue that minors/second majors don't help you, but how could it hurt if you are already that close? I've got two majors, and an acceptance, so there is your proof lol.
Thank you for such a detaild answer. I didnt know that I would have to report the classes anyway to AMCAS. You have just made my decision much easier. I do enjoy math but im thinking about doing a minor out side of math and science field to diversify my med school application (whenever the time comes..).

Again, Thank you