• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Should people be able to sell their organs to hospitals?

nosugrefneb

(benferguson)
10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2005
Chicago
www.facebook.com
  1. Medical Student
    thebiz98 said:
    How do you motivate people to give organs? If you think good-will is sufficient, there is no reason to continue arguing, because we must come from different planets.

This wouldn't be so large a problem if there were more cadaveric donation in this country. Why is it that so few people elect to donate here and so many elect to do so in, say, some European countries? In Belgium and Austria, for example, donating organs is so common that its citizens are automatically considered donors unless an individual makes it known to the government that they do not wish to donate (which doesn't happen too often), a so-called "opt-out" policy. [On second thought, maybe it is this policy that lead to such widespread donation in the first place.]

Still, why is there such a huge difference of opinion regarding donation between us and them? I think this presumed consent system is the solution here on the part of our government, not the sale of one's organs - yet. Science had an article a while back that showed that Americans would be twice as likely to donate their organs if an opt-out policy were in place, that is if organ donation were the default and they had to take active steps to NOT donate.

chef_NU

G-Unit
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Jul 27, 2004
    Chicago
      Biz I think your idea is a great one.

To those of you who complain that this would disproportionately benefit the wealthy? Of course. The wealthy benefit the most in the face of ANY market. They have greater ability to voluntarily purchase high-demand goods. This is hardly reason to restrict the opening of new markets. Doing so is akin to say, prohibiting the sale of Rolls Royces because the wealthy "disproportionately benefit".

About the Ads

ilovehedgehogs

10+ Year Member
      Feb 22, 2006
      1. Medical Student
        chef_NU said:
        Biz I think your idea is a great one.

To those of you who complain that this would disproportionately benefit the wealthy? Of course. The wealthy benefit the most in the face of ANY market. They have greater ability to voluntarily purchase high-demand goods. This is hardly reason to restrict the opening of new markets. Doing so is akin to say, prohibiting the sale of Rolls Royces because the wealthy "disproportionately benefit".
        I think its more an issue of the poor disproportionately suffering...I agree that encouraging organ donation is a good idea

chef_NU

G-Unit
        10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Jul 27, 2004
        Chicago
          ilovehedgehogs said:
          I think its more an issue of the poor disproportionately suffering...I agree that encouraging organ donation is a good idea
          I understand your point. However, we have too many laws though that sacrifice freedom for the sake of "protecting people from themselves". Good examples are laws prohibiting prostitution or drug use. My view of such laws: unnecessary and really, really dumb. I'd much rather pocket my tax money then pay our idiot government to enforce stupid laws we don't need. Isn't it a bit unsettling to you when you read about the tax burden required to keep a bunch of low-lifes in prison for smoking marijauna? Not to mention legal fees, judicial public servant salaries... the list goes on.

/rant

ilovehedgehogs

10+ Year Member
          Feb 22, 2006
          1. Medical Student
            chef_NU said:
            I understand your point. However, we have too many laws though that sacrifice freedom for the sake of "protecting people from themselves". Good examples are laws prohibiting prostitution or drug use. My view of such laws: unnecessary and really, really dumb. I'd much rather pocket my tax money then pay our idiot government to enforce stupid laws we don't need. Isn't it a bit unsettling to you when you read about the tax burden required to keep a bunch of low-lifes in prison for smoking marijauna? Not to mention legal fees, judicial public servant salaries... the list goes on.

/rant

totally agree with you on the drugs, I am very radical about that. One of my arguments for legalization is the fact that the laws disproportionately affect those that cannot afford good lawyers, $$$ rehabs, etc, and like you said the whole system backfires in an attempt to "protect people from themselves." The issue of organ selling is really not so different, however we know going into it that the only people who would actually sell their organs are those who are desperately poor, and i suppose this is the point that i find unethical: it seems like a calculated measure to manipulate the poor in an attempt to alleviate the organ shortage. And if organ shortage is the real problem here, why not solve it through a more ethically sound strategy of encouraging people to donate? If more (enough) people donated we would not be having this conversation.

SLPI

10+ Year Member
            Mar 29, 2006
            1. Medical Student
              The issue of organ selling is really not so different, however we know going into it that the only people who would actually sell their organs are those who are desperately poor, and i suppose this is the point that i find unethical: it seems like a calculated measure to manipulate the poor in an attempt to alleviate the organ shortage. And if organ shortage is the real problem here, why not solve it through a more ethically sound strategy of encouraging people to donate? If more (enough) people donated we would not be having this conversation.[/QUOTE]
              :thumbup:

the poor should not be a reservoir for organs, and if they need organs then a pay-for-organ system would mean that they have no hope at all.

hippocrateze

10+ Year Member
              Apr 21, 2006
                SLPI said:
                The issue of organ selling is really not so different, however we know going into it that the only people who would actually sell their organs are those who are desperately poor, and i suppose this is the point that i find unethical: it seems like a calculated measure to manipulate the poor in an attempt to alleviate the organ shortage. And if organ shortage is the real problem here, why not solve it through a more ethically sound strategy of encouraging people to donate? If more (enough) people donated we would not be having this conversation.
                :thumbup:

the poor should not be a reservoir for organs, and if they need organs then a pay-for-organ system would mean that they have no hope at all.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I don't think the proponent/s of this idea really thought this one out.

It's one thing for people in a free, democratic society to decide what to do with their bodies, but consider those in societies that are neither. Consider also, those who have had their freedom snatched from them in our modern day version of the slave trade. Just imagine the increase in human trafficking that would inevitably occur.

Now there'd just be one more way to exploit the voiceless poor: eviscerate them....

(pleeease note the sarcasm)

LiberT

10+ Year Member
                Apr 22, 2007
                  I am by no means a rich man materially, nor would all the money in the world make me any richer. However, the good one could do by giving a part of themselves so another can have life and one may prosper, pay bills, feed their kids, or simply have a bit of financial relief, which burdens so many. I believe is ethical, ok with god, and the American way. Think of all the men and women who have paid with thier lifes so other people and thier childrens children can grow up free. Freedom is the soul of America.

EUA

10+ Year Member
                  5+ Year Member
                  Feb 11, 2005
                  1. Attending Physician
                    Refreshing to see the amount of pro-organ-selling here. Cardsurgguy and thebiz98 have made really excellent arguments.

I think there needs to be some kind of distinction though, between the healthy people selling organs versus the family of the deceased donor receiving some cash. While the former looks great on paper, the American public is too emotional to ever consider it. The latter, however, is far more feasible, especially given that the less-educated (and thus, usually, poorer) families are probably less likely to consent for organ donation. It would increase the number of donations and leave the families with as positive of an experience as possible and alleviate at least a fraction of their problems with a monetary reward.

Overall, it's just not fair that everyone in the organ donation business makes money except the family who is suffering because their loved one died unexpectedly. Even a couple thousand could help with the ridiculously expensive funeral costs. Bottom line is, it's good PR!

About the Ads
                    This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    7. This thread is locked.