Should race be a factor in med school admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zionist

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I, for one, am annoyed by the fact that some people, because of the color of their face or background have a better chance at admissions. Fairness in admissions should not sacrificed for political correctness :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Zionist,

I agree with you- nothing should be based on race alone, that's racism....

they are stuck between a rock & a hard place though with the whole diversity thing though...

i don't like how an otherwise "cookie cutter" applicant gets to be extraordinary because of their race. RACE is not always an indicator of overcoming a tough childhood or whatever.... ECONOMIC STATUS is a much better indicator i think.

let's try to keep this discussion constructive

just my 2 cents

:) :)

make sure you do not confuse what ought to be, with what is...NO race should not be a factor in the admissions process...however it is....and why?...because there exists in today's society a severe disproportion of representation and opportunity available to certain subsets of a population...that is not to say that members of the majority in this country do not lack opportunity,but there is a far greater possiblility that a person belonging to the minority population will fall into this category...so life is what it is...and until someone presents a feasible, workable,and realistic alternative LONG LIVE affirmative action

Members don't see this ad :)
smilez428,
In my view, diversity is just a politically correct excuse for using race as a factor. I really don't understanding how the makesup of your MD class affect your medical education. Viruses and bacteria don't care about the color of your doctor's skin. The curriculum is the same if the class is made up of 100 black people or 50 white people and 50 black people.

Originally posted by Zionist
I, for one, am annoyed by the fact that some people, because of the color of their face or background have a better chance at admissions. Fairness in admissions should not sacrificed for political correctness :rolleyes:

One word my friend: SLAVERY

Thank the asswipes that discriminated against minorities for the last 200 years for your troubles. The time to undo these wrongs is now and if some caucasians end up in the Caribbean meds instead of a US school, it doesn't bother me (I am a caucasian myself BTW).

It's more than judging based on skin color. It's about allowing the opportunity of an oppressed race and community to regain social standing. AA is part of the game and if you are offended, cry me a river, and then think about those who have it alot harder than you do.

of course this is not considering the fact that this very people are the ones that dont have a better chance in life because of the color of their face or background. nothing is perfect, but there should be a middle ground, maybe u dont agree with aa, but u are annoyed puuulease, put ur self in colored people's shoes, annoyance does not come to mind :rolleyes:

ComplexPuzzle,
This is a free country. Your argument that there is a disproportion and opportunity will hold if a certain groups within the society were prevented from seeking the same opportunities available to others. I can't think of any university which discriminates against minorities.

i've long retired from these threads, but can i make a logistical suggestion here? there are three active threads on the same topic. pick one of the two in pre allo or the one in everyone. please

just cuz opportunity exists does not mean people have access to it...its hard for an individual to understand when it has not been a position which they have occupied...this is not a FREE and EQUAL country...dont buy into the propaganda....any minority and alot of majority members can tell you that

Mike59,
You live in the year 2002. You speak as if you were born in 1890. It's really sad that some African Americans and minorities use -- or exploit, i should say -- the atrocities committed against their ancestors centuries ago or decades ago as reasons to demand special treatment. That their ancestors were oppressed doesn't mean they shouldn't be working as hard as others to achieve their objectives.

ComplexPuzzle,
This is a free country. Your argument that there is a disproportion and opportunity will hold if a certain groups within the society were prevented from seeking the same opportunities available to others. I can't think of any university which discriminates against minorities.

Have you ever heard of PRIVATE SCHOOLS? The Yales and Harvards of the world once prided themselves on educating generations of people with the same last name. Many private schools in the country have existed for 200 years and did not graduate black students until the mid 1900's. If that is not discrimination toward minorities, I don't know what is.

Mike,
I am talking about now year 2003. You expect that universities like Yale correct past wrongs of several decades ago with new wrongs of racial discrimination in favor of minorities. My basic arugment is your color of skin shouldn't gain you any favors or preferences as far as admissions is concerned.

Mike59,
You live in the year 2002. You speak as if you were born in 1890. It's really sad that some African Americans and minorities use -- or exploit, i should say -- the atrocities committed against their ancestors centuries ago or decades ago as reasons to demand special treatment. That their ancestors were oppressed doesn't mean they shouldn't be working as hard as others to achieve their objectives.

Have you ever visited an inner city neighbohood? Your comments scream ignorance if you think the average inner city black child can simply "work hard" and be on par with an average white in social standing.

Do you take pride in seeing people from these communities suffer generation after generation? AA allows many very disadvantaged students to make dramatic increases in their social standing. Unfortunately in this country, there is a huge correlation between race and socioeconomic status, and I feel AA is justified.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Mike59
Have you ever heard of PRIVATE SCHOOLS? The Yales and Harvards of the world once prided themselves on educating generations of people with the same last name. Many private schools in the country have existed for 200 years and did not graduate black students until the mid 1900's. If that is not discrimination toward minorities, I don't know what is.

Harvard and Yale are private schools. They have/can admit who they want, how they want, when they want. The reason the admissions processes at private schools look so much like those at public schools has everything to do with pressure from the outside and little or nothing to do with a private institution's INHERENT AND IMPLIED (by being private) right to conduct admissions how they see fit. Not that people's minds within an institution can't be changed, but I hope you see the distinction between private and public.

I detest these threads, but this guy irks me.

As a member of the "majority" in this country as far as the color of my skin goes, I do see value in AA, especially at the med school level. As others have stated, minorities are disproportionately disadvantaged economically (not to mention the other unique challenges they face), and that translates into diminished access and opportunity from pre-school on up. Consider that there are parents interviewing with their three year-olds for the privilege of sending them to a $10K/year pre-school. Why? Because the competition for each successive level of education gets fiercer and fiercer, and the consequences of failing get more and more dire.

Should we aspire to reach a point when AA is unnecessary? Of course, but that means beginning with early education and opportunity -- undergrad and grad ed is too late to play the "we're all equal game in 2003". Anyone who is even a competitive applicant to med school knows that opportunity and a top shelf education are significant factors in gaining admission.

My personal experience in med school and in the MDs office has also made me realize how narrow-minded many of my so-called majority, non-AA classmates and MDs are. They have made comments like, "Why don't they just get a job" when faced with the under or uninsured (many of whom are minorities). And on several occasions I have witnessed physicians and nurses of the "majority" fail to understand or even attempt to understand patients of color. The harsh truth is that you and I can learn a great deal from having a diverse medical class. And society can also benefit from having more care providers who are able to relate and care for those of color, in addition to the "majority".

And lastly, there's something ironic about someone with the handle "Zionist" complaining about AA.

Aren't there like 5 threads on this already floating around? Please, in the name of all things holy, not another. Go join those discussions instead of starting a whole new thread. :rolleyes:

Mike59,

I don't think African Americans exploit slavery to get special treatment. What makes you think they don't work hard? You are throwing out false statements here buddy. You are d@mn near ridiculous...:rolleyes:

You seem to think affirmation action is a "black" thing. Well it includes American Indian or Alaska Native, Asian, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latino, Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander. To some extent, it also covers women(from all backgrounds).

Schools use AA to recruit underrepresented minorities and students from disadvantaged backgrounds to pursue careers in the health professions.

For those who don't know:
Underrepresented Minority refers to racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the health profession relative to the size of the population at large.

Disadvantaged refers to individuals who (1) come from an environment that has inhibited them from obtaining the knowledge, skills and abilities required to enroll in and graduate from a health professions school, or from a program providing education or training in an allied health profession; or (2) come from low-income families. Specifically, annual income must be below a level based on thresholds according to family size published by the U.S. Bureau of the Census, and adjusted annually for changes in the Consumer Price index.

Originally posted by Mike59

Through the 1950s and 1960s, many medical schools, including Harvard, had quotas in place to keep Jews out of medical school. Only one or two Jews were allowed in regardless of the # of applicants. Does this mean we should now have affirmative action for Jewish medical school applicants b/c they were once discriminated against? I don't think so. (I'm Jewish by the way.) It used to be perfectly okay for an interviewer to ask, "Are you Jewish? Oh, well, this isn't the place for you then." Read "The Staff and the Serpent" by Dr. Weisse if you're interested. My point is, past discrimination does not justify today's actions.

pillowhead,
this is for you :clap:

AA has its good points. On the other hand, if a disadvantaged student has enough drive to get into college, do well in premed classes, and fight through the MCAT, I'd expect them to do pretty darn well on their own merits anyhow.

There are points AA supporters can never explain.

1. Fine. I'll give you slavery. So why do Hispanics and some South Pacific Asians get AA? Chinese, Koreans, and Vietnamese don't, and they were exploited as much, if not more, than Hispanics were.

2. Most black med students are not going to the ghettos to practice. A lot of them come from middle to rich families, and they are going to practice in communities that they are familiar with. If AA is supposed to get URM's into med schools so that they can better serve underprivileged communities, then it's not really doing its job. Besides, plenty of white doctors practice in sh*tty areas too.

3. AA doesn't exist in other countries. Why don't you think they feel the need to have equal representation? The answer: America just has an obsession with race. I honestly believe the reason AA exists is because of lawyers, not beacuse of any noble causes on the part of med schools.

Originally posted by pillowhead
Through the 1950s and 1960s, many medical schools, including Harvard, had quotas in place to keep Jews out of medical school. Only one or two Jews were allowed in regardless of the # of applicants. Does this mean we should now have affirmative action for Jewish medical school applicants b/c they were once discriminated against? I don't think so. (I'm Jewish by the way.) It used to be perfectly okay for an interviewer to ask, "Are you Jewish? Oh, well, this isn't the place for you then." Read "The Staff and the Serpent" by Dr. Weisse if you're interested. My point is, past discrimination does not justify today's actions.

Hey...I'm on your side. I was just trying to point out to someone else that we really can't necesarily hold private institutions to the same standards as public. It's like the boy scout thing. As much as I might desire the Boy Scouts to open the doors to homosexuals, they have a right not to - plain and simple. It's a legal/cerebral issue - not an emotional one.

As an Asian American, I support AA, though I stand to gain little from it in higher education. In my experience (please don't take offense if this description does not apply to you), people who oppose AA do not really understand the difficulty of being a minority. The odds stacked against blacks, hispanics, and other disadvantaged groups is not slavery, or being put into reservations, or being trampled on by Europeans. No, it is the accumulation of generations and generations of oppression. When you grow up in a subculture that has seen nothing but discrimination, hate, violence, and poverty for the hundreds of years, all you know is misery and failure.

Most Asians who come to this country have it hard for a generation or two, but eventually things improve because back in the old country many did pretty well for themselves. Why isn't this the case for blacks? or native americans? or mexicans? Because they've never been able to do well, because some bastard from Europe was always making money from their sweat and blood. There is no history of success from which to build upon. There is such a thing as cultural momentum.

When you come from a middle class white family, you know what it takes to do well in this country. You may choose not to, but you know. A lot of ethnic kids don't. They see that their parents are working poor as was their parents before and so on and so forth. If that's all you know, of those are your only models from which you can make your life, how can anyone reasonably expect you to compete with white America? It is a remarkably willful person who work their way out of these circumstances, but most people aren't. That's why there's affirmative action. It's for those kids who may have done just as well as a white kid had their circumstances been different. Isn't that only fair?

What I resent the most are comments like: "Oh, he doesn't belong here. He only got in because of AA. His credentials aren't enough for admission." I find that to be very culturally insensitive. If you came from that kind of background, can YOU do better? Or will you end up a street thug?

I think it is somewhat comedic how people feel compelled to state their ethnicity at the end of their posts (ie. By the way, I'm a .............). I guess many feel that they are providing support or conviction for their opinions. In reality this evokes suspicion in my mind. Think about it, must a dog bark to prove he's a dog?
____________________________________________________University of Missouri- Columbia
Go MIZZOU TIGERS!

Granted this anecdotal, but many of my Asian friends have similar stories. My parents came from HK in their teens. Their families lived in a crappy part of LA, all their neighbors are black. Couldn't afford electricity. My dad ate mostly rice everyday (got egg and spam if he was lucky). He and his siblings work hard at school and get part time jobs, avoid the Asian gangs, and give all their money to their parents. Dad gives up dream of becoming a lawyer and goes to Cal State LA and majors in accounting (only thing that would guarantee a job). After busitng his ass for decades, he's finally middle class. Yeah, he sacrificed his sweat, tears, and at times, dignity. But hard work is what gets you out of the ghettos, not favors and handouts. I just don't see why other minorities (Southeast Asians, Hispanics) get advantages while poor Asian immigrants don't. Please explain.

Originally posted by sponch

When you come from a middle class white family, you know what it takes to do well in this country. You may choose not to, but you know. A lot of ethnic kids don't. They see that their parents are working poor as was their parents before and so on and so forth. If that's all you know, of those are your only models from which you can make your life, how can anyone reasonably expect you to compete with white America? It is a remarkably willful person who work their way out of these circumstances, but most people aren't. That's why there's affirmative action. It's for those kids who may have done just as well as a white kid had their circumstances been different. Isn't that only fair?

Yes but you are assuming that every URM who applies to med school came from this exact background. What about those who's parents are from middle or upper class families. Since their family has "broken the cycle" shouldn't they be disqualified from AA?

Originally posted by danwsu
Yes but you are assuming that every URM who applies to med school came from this exact background. What about those who's parents are from middle or upper class families. Since their family has "broken the cycle" shouldn't they be disqualified from AA?

And what about poor white americans. Those who grew up in a trailer park on the wrong side of town, was the child of a single parent who worked for minimum wage, and had no role models growing up. Where's the advantage for him? There is none!! Because poor white americans are the forgotten underclass. Where's the Poor White Kids College Fund? Or the child of distitute scholarship?

Repeating myself, why is it that the pre-allopath forum on SDN is the one that is continuously plagued by the reintroduction of these worn out AA debate threads? The pre-osteos and pre-dents are not obsessed with this issue. What's with the MD wannabes.

Originally posted by groundhog
Repeating myself, why is it that the pre-allopath forum on SDN is the one that is continuously plagued by the reintroduction of these worn out AA debate threads? The pre-osteos and pre-dents are not obsessed with this issue. What's with the MD wannabes.

I guess it's a way for them to vent frustrations felt during their application process.:p

I think AA is great for disadvantaged people (regardless of race) but then a large percentage of the disadvantaged people in this country belong to particular race classifications, so that just brings us back to square #1.

Even if they take away AA, schools will try to recruit a certain percentage of each group (of people) just to have a nice looking well rounded class.

Originally posted by CJ2Doc
And what about poor white americans. Those who grew up in a trailer park on the wrong side of town, was the child of a single parent who worked for minimum wage, and had no role models growing up. Where's the advantage for him? There is none!! Because poor white americans are the forgotten underclass. Where's the Poor White Kids College Fund? Or the child of distitute scholarship?

This is a good point and addresses why AA needs to be *amended* but not entirely eliminated...

Originally posted by rbassdo
Hey...I'm on your side. I was just trying to point out to someone else that we really can't necesarily hold private institutions to the same standards as public. It's like the boy scout thing. As much as I might desire the Boy Scouts to open the doors to homosexuals, they have a right not to - plain and simple. It's a legal/cerebral issue - not an emotional one.

Yeah, I agree with you on the Boy Scouts thing...hate the discrimination, but ultimately they can do what they want. I just feel that medical schools aren't as "private" if you will as a civic org. such as the scouts. There isn't a medical school out there that doesn't get federal funding from the NIH.

It seems as though this thread was started out of selfish motive. Be thankful for the abilities God has given you and use them to your utmost. You can spend your life letting things like this burn you...or use them as motivation for self-improvement.
I wasn't going to give my opinion but since I'm on the subject. I do think admissions to any type of school should be based on merit. HOWEVER, consideration should be given to an applicants background because skin color certainly doesn't tell of the struggles that that person has had to deal with.

I agree with sponch, Affirmitive action is good and anyone who says otherwise is either ignorant or racist. Even though the strong opponents of AA state the fact that AA help privelaged minority more then the ones living in ghettos. For the simple fact that America is a segregated country, and people who belong to the same ethnic group tend to help eachother.
And I personaly don't think that minority students are stealing seats from nobody, not even my sister's undergrad harvard seat, she got accepted to yale instead, they are hard work achievers who are trying to make a difference in their communities. And I for one would much rather do to a school where I see people from all colors, then schools that are only white, asian, and indian. But that's just me.

No, I am just a strong supporter, and frankly I see no other way to achieve equality unless we saccrifice for another couple of years. We're just not there yet.
And what pisses me off is that pres. bush, from all people, who didn't get into yale on his own merit, is complaining about AA, and how it unconstitutional. I guess it's becuase the rich people who are controling this country have not so bright kids who are blaming minorities on their failure getting into good schools.
damn those republicans!

Originally posted by gibna
No, I am just a strong supporter, and frankly I see no other way to achieve equality unless we saccrifice for another couple of years. We're just not there yet.
And what pisses me off is that pres. bush, from all people, who didn't get into yale on his own merit, is complaining about AA, and how it unconstitutional. I guess it's becuase the rich people who are controling this country have not so bright kids who are blaming minorities on their failure getting into good schools.
damn those republicans!

i don't agree w/ people getting into schools because that's where daddy went. However, there is nothing unconstitutional about that which is what separates having connections from affirmative action. I think people get so tied up in the morality of AA that they forget about its legality.

The bottom line here folks is that it is WRONG to conteract discrimination with discrimination. That is what AA does. Morally, one can make an argument for it, however legally you cannot. The Supreme Court will strike AA down, guaranteed, and the government will be forced to find another medium balance the inequities in college admissions.

I guess this is one of the reasons why I hate lawyers so much. The constitution is not perfect, I mean does the electoral college make any sense to you? How about the right to bear weopans, thats the stupidest thing I've heard. I mean every year you hear about stories of kids being killed becuase their parents owned guns. Thats only a few flaws of our sacred constitution.
And in my opinion morality should and must supersede undated laws. Laws that sometimes make no sense to me. And AA action is one of those things.

The Constitution is stupid?

The Constitution is the will of the people. It is a covenant between the people and its government. Yes, you don't like the ban on racial discrimination. Fortunately, a lot of people disagree with you. The Constitution reflects the prevailing opinion of its people. It can be changed. You just have to convince enough people that your viewpoint is correct.

Can someone who is more knowledge about law and society open a can of whoopass on this guy?

I, for one, am annoyed by people who call themselves "Zionists," unless those people are Rastafarians.

You live in the year 2002. You speak as if you were born in 1890. It's really sad that some African Americans and minorities use -- or exploit, i should say -- the atrocities committed against their ancestors centuries ago or decades ago as reasons to demand special treatment. That their ancestors were oppressed doesn't mean they shouldn't be working as hard as others to achieve their objectives

You sound like you don't think racism exists in 2003. That's understandable, because most white, middle-class, American men (uh oh, i made an assumption, but you seem to be a big fan of assumptions (see your post) so I don't think you'd mind) don't need to think about racism on a daily basis. I didn't, until it was brought to my attention, but that's in part because white privilege is so insidious.

Here's a great article that outlines what white privilege is, and how it acts as a tool of oppression (no, just because we no longer lynch AA men doesn't mean there aren't systematic tools of oppression at work today).

http://www.utoronto.ca/acc/events/peggy1.htm

Anyway, the original post talks about AA and med school, so I looked up some stats in my handy-dandy "Complete Book Of Medical Schools", and here's what I found (now granted, I don't have enough time on my lunch break to look up each school's AA policy, or each region's %URM, but I think we can all grasp the general trend):

BU: % URM: 10
Brown: 14
UCLA: 30 (wow!!!)
Columbia: 10
Cornell: 18 (not bad!)
Darthmouth: 12
Harvard: 18
Johns Hopkins: 10
U Mississippi: 5 (ouch!)
Morehouse: 95
Howard: 60

I may be grasping at straws, but it seems as though there is more at work here than AAs being lazy, dumb, and as stuck-in-the-past as you seem to think. 18% URM (and that's the high end) doesn't seem to me to be "special treatment". Read the article, and see if you can come to the same conclusion.

just remember, if you're a minority you're 20 points better than if you were white.

I didn't say that the constitution was stupid, I just said it was not perfect, do you think it is? We are one of the few countries in the civilized world that have capital punishment laws, doesn't that say enough. And I think that their is a split opinion in America about affirmitive action, and the more educated you are the more you side with AA.
I also disagree with the notion that all white men are against it, becuase I for one support it and I think its a good thing. But I certainly don't think it should last forever, but till our government cares more about the educational system in minority schools.

Originally posted by sarah_viola
You sound like you don't think racism exists in 2003. That's understandable, because most white, middle-class, American men (uh oh, i made an assumption, but you seem to be a big fan of assumptions (see your post) so I don't think you'd mind) don't need to think about racism on a daily basis. I didn't, until it was brought to my attention, but that's in part because white privilege is so insidious.

Here's a great article that outlines what white privilege is, and how it acts as a tool of oppression (no, just because we no longer lynch AA men doesn't mean there aren't systematic tools of oppression at work today).

http://www.utoronto.ca/acc/events/peggy1.htm

Anyway, the original post talks about AA and med school, so I looked up some stats in my handy-dandy "Complete Book Of Medical Schools", and here's what I found (now granted, I don't have enough time on my lunch break to look up each school's AA policy, or each region's %URM, but I think we can all grasp the general trend):

I may be grasping at straws, but it seems as though there is more at work here than AAs being lazy, dumb, and as stuck-in-the-past as you seem to think. 18% URM (and that's the high end) doesn't seem to me to be "special treatment". Read the article, and see if you can come to the same conclusion.

Sarah_viola, you rock! :clap:

You know I am white, i dont agree wtih affirmative action or race being a factor in the admissions process, but it is. So deal with it. Damn i swear this stupid threads come up about aa all the time. i hate to say it but its the way the system is, is it flawed? yes, but what the hell can any of us do. So instead of being bitter about it, accept it and go on with your life. Hopefully in the future race wont be a factor, but now it is, so what can you do. nothing, so drop it!

Originally posted by sarah_viola

Here's my contribution to the data above:
http://www.census.gov/prod/2001pubs/c2kbr01-5.pdf

U Mississippi stands out as a point of concern. According to the census site, blacks make up 36% of the population in that state. If anyone wants to change AA, they better have a damn good backup plan to put in its place..

Are you annoyed by the fact that some people, because of their last name or how much money their parents have will have a better chance at admissions? Fairness in admissions should not be sacrificed for the sake of preserving the good old boy status quo.

I wouldnt want a doc working on me that got into med school via AA. Race should be taken out of the equation completely. I would think that if I were a minority, I would be insulted at the idea that I need a handout to get into school. AA is total bull****e, IMO....

Another useless thread of AA. Don't y'all have anything else to do with your time? I swear its like evry week a new one pops up. Its the same thing, same type responses. WHy post here? WHy not go ask the schl/s u got rejected from, if it was due to AA!!!:rolleyes:

Denial of victim rationalization