Should race be a factor in med school admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by lotanna
WHy not go ask the schl/s u got rejected from, if it was due to AA!!!:rolleyes:

So this is an interesting point... For the sake of argument, we'll say there are 100 med students at Hopkins. 10% is only 10 people. Are you that sure that you'd be in that group of 10 if AA didn't exist? Even assuming that they admit 15 people to fill those 10 spots, are you really that sure you'd be in if AA didn't exist? I'm not saying that AA is right or wrong in this response, but lotanna asks a good question here.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Zionist
Mike59,
You live in the year 2002. You speak as if you were born in 1890. It's really sad that some African Americans and minorities use -- or exploit, i should say -- the atrocities committed against their ancestors centuries ago or decades ago as reasons to demand special treatment. That their ancestors were oppressed doesn't mean they shouldn't be working as hard as others to achieve their objectives.

This comment is representative of the ignorance about the lingering effects of slavery that still exist today. Although slavery was abolished over a century ago, the effects of slavery are ever present. Minority children are NOT given the same opportunites as white children, and that IS a fact. When you have an institution that RUINED the black family and the black economy, isn't it fair that minorities should have more options available to them?? When the school system is established so that a child in the ghetto can be taught as much as a rich child in the burbs, then, I would say abolish AA and various programs. My point is that although slavery is no more, it is alive and well in this society. For example, If a minority student has good grades but couldn't afford to drop $1400 and an MCAT prep course and doesn't do as well on the test, shouldn't there be safeguards in place to protect that person's right to pursue a medical education. I'm talking about financial slavery. And what about the black child who is told by society that he should aspire to "entertain" by rapping, or playing ball. Why are black children being bombarded with only these option? And, yes, maybe more black professionals need to step up to the plate, but do you see where I'm going???

And let's not forget that AA helps WOMEN--white and black--as well.

I'm not really sure why I'm replying to any of these threads because I know that what I say will be futile. I completely understand that many people have ingrained and accepted notions that they embrace about the state of race in America. Unfortunately and sadly, I see that a lot of these notions are ill informed. While I understand why the notion of AA would be threatening, frightening, unsettling, and upsetting to a medical school candidate from the "majority", I can't help but shuddler and shake my head at the pervasiveness of divisions in society.

Someone in an earlier post posed a good question, how many of the non-URMS who are so vocally opposed to AA have visted urban areas, rural areas, and other parts of the United States where URMs have been relegated to as marginal members of society??

I know the there are some who will say, she's pulling out the race card but, the race card was never put away. I can not fathom how it is that so many people have been missinformed to think that the ground has been leveled, that there is equality in the playing feeling of academia? There is not. The many URMS that you see gracing your hallways, sitting in your classrooms are the LARGE exception. Why is that?

Without belaboring the importance of HISTORY, let us NEVER forget that for a long time in this country educating black people was illegal. Okay, so you say the institution of slavery ended in the 19th century. What followed? A new insitution of segretation called Jim Crow (which was interestingly not just a Southern phenomena), with that segregated school systems, the vast majority of African American students relegated to small farm house school rooms..Then we approach the Civil Rights Era, where from about 1954 to the early 70s, African Americans, Women, and many other marginalized sects of society through means of grassroots activism etc, had to make a case to the nation about the legitimacy of their claims to autonomy, self respect, and an equal footing in society..

So then we usher in the 70s and 80s, the era of Reganomics.
In many communities of largely African American composition, there were cut backs on goverment and state funded programs, the gap between urban public school systems (where the children of former slaves, those oppressed under Jim Crow, etc attended) widened. And this trend has continued unchanging. If anyone out there disputes the fact that there is a huge difference in terms of allocation of resources, based on the economic power of communities in Flatbush Brooklyn vs. Scarsdale New York, then I think you are truly speaking from a point of misinformation. Before you continue to blunder and speak only from an emotional platform, you should educate yourself about circumstances beyond your realm.

And why then does all this matter to us, future doctors? Despite what some of us think, we are going into a people profession. After spending years in undergrad studying basic sciences, we are now emerging into the clincial aspect of our careers. There's a reason why there is an immense gap between the health outcomes of African American males in America and their white counterparts. Did you know that a young black male in Harlem has a life expectancy comperable to a male of the same age in a developing or "third world" country?? Does that make sense? Here in the US, the land of opportunity? Many many people of color are slipping through the cracks, suffering from ill health which of course is tied into larger fundamental causes, ie poverty, inequities, lack of access to health care..

So, then finally, to have an active campaign to increase the presence of African American physicians working toward the national goal of improving health for EVERYONE is vital. Why is it that a large percentage of physicians in this country were white for so long? Do we not see that as strange? Particularly when all of America is not white. It is important to have the physician population reflect America. Not for the cute ideal of a more diverse class but because America is diverse. Did you know that even the most well meaning and well informed white physician can inject his or her racial sterotypes and biases when treating a patient of color?If you think this is all far off in our distant history, I only need to point you to the Tuskeegee Study which exploited black men to determine whether there was a difference in the pathology of syphillis among these individiuals. A formal apology for this gross abuse of the biomedical tradition was only made in the 70s. Due to the intrinsic power differential in the physician patient relationship, most patients will not be able to advocate for themselves. Therefore having people of color in the physician community is vital. Who better to educate you than your peers?

Also, a legacy of wrong doings, marginalization, oppression, and violence does not just get erased. Not in one decade and not in two, it takes generations. So until we have reached some sort of leveling out, I believe AA to be more than neccessary. Please remember that unlike Jewish survivors of the holocost, neither African American slaves NOR their decendents have recieved much in the recognition of their suffering, their holocost of slavery. I argue that if an apology takes until the Clinton Administration of the early 90s to come by when slavery ended in the 19th Century, what makes anyone believe that things have suddenly become all fair?

Sorry to be so lengthy..

Members don't see this ad :)
I think whats OUTRAGEOUS is that who ever this person is that calls themselves 'Zionist' is promoting a heated racial debate. I don't see anything wrong with exercising your right to the fifth amendment (freedom of speech) HOWEVER, don't represent yourself as a Zionist, those that don't know much about zionists and zionism may get the wrong impression of who zionists really are. Secondly many zionists are PRO-affirmative Action.

if you were a true zionist and jew you should first hand know what discrimination is like!
secondly I have a feeling that your past name is 'watchamacallit' you are just trying to give jews/zionists a bad name!

people like you make me sick

Granted this anecdotal, but many of my Asian friends have similar stories. My parents came from HK in their teens. Their families lived in a crappy part of LA, all their neighbors are black. Couldn't afford electricity. My dad ate mostly rice everyday (got egg and spam if he was lucky). He and his siblings work hard at school and get part time jobs, avoid the Asian gangs, and give all their money to their parents. Dad gives up dream of becoming a lawyer and goes to Cal State LA and majors in accounting (only thing that would guarantee a job). After busitng his ass for decades, he's finally middle class. Yeah, he sacrificed his sweat, tears, and at times, dignity. But hard work is what gets you out of the ghettos, not favors and handouts. I just don't see why other minorities (Southeast Asians, Hispanics) get advantages while poor Asian immigrants don't. Please explain.

zer0el, I hear ya on this one. No one ever addresses the fact that some minorities are considered minorities and some are not. It's cuz there are "too many" hmmm. "east" asians in medical school already. No one considers that they probably had no life and studied their butts off to get there. Asians are more of a minority than blacks and maybe hispanics (though I'm not sure on that one). Check the population census for the US.

I am all for affirmative action based on economic factors. You are all right in saying that no one should be denied the opportunity based on being too poor to have equal access to something.

For example, If a minority student has good grades but couldn't afford to drop $1400 and an MCAT prep course and doesn't do as well on the test, shouldn't there be safeguards in place to protect that person's right to pursue a medical education. I'm talking about financial slavery.

It's not necessarily about race. It's about financial slavery...which extends across all races. No one talks about the mistreatment of east asians, like the Chinese, who came dirt poor to this country and were also subjected to living in urban ghettos, assaults and mass murder by shooting and lynching. The fact is that it's there in American history too. So maybe we shouldn't concentrate so much on race but on economic status. And if one race happens to be a large part of one economic strata, then so be it. But they're separate entities, and we shouldn't confuse the two.

That's just what this lowly student thinks...

Originally posted by pillowhead
Through the 1950s and 1960s, many medical schools, including Harvard, had quotas in place to keep Jews out of medical school. Only one or two Jews were allowed in regardless of the # of applicants. Does this mean we should now have affirmative action for Jewish medical school applicants b/c they were once discriminated against? I don't think so. (I'm Jewish by the way.) It used to be perfectly okay for an interviewer to ask, "Are you Jewish? Oh, well, this isn't the place for you then." Read "The Staff and the Serpent" by Dr. Weisse if you're interested. My point is, past discrimination does not justify today's actions.
I agree, by blood I'm half Russian Jew, and the treatment of Jews and Russia was about as bad and lasted a great deal longer than slavery in America. Prejudice against Jews in America lasted up until the 1950s... However, we haven't been getting any special privileges, though if any Yale adcomms are spying on this thread, I'd certainly love to have some! Also, statistics show that the average black IQ is 15 points lower than the average caucasian IQ which is lower than the average Asian IQ. That may have some effect on the lower economic status, though I recognize that the oppression of the past has also had an effect. There are many people, some even on this board who are from Asia and have experienced tough times and prejudice, and yet have overcome. I think AA was needed while there was still heavy prejudice against blacks, and they wouldn't have been accepted otherwise. Also, most undergrad institutions have AA programs, so by medical school the inequality should have evened out by four years of equal education....

I agree with masche on his last point. While I don't agree with affirmative action, I do see its purpose, and its goals are laudable.

The thing is, if affirmative action should level the playing field, doing it at one level of education should suffice. That way, URMs have advantages in applying to prestigious undergrad schools that may be more difficult to get into. After this point, it should be up to them to get into med/law/grad school on their own merits.
This way, its more of an equalizer, than an example of institutionalized reverse discrimination. I have a friend who went to one of those New Englnad prep schools that is older than the United States, and he told me that black students there got prefrerential treatment for admission. The idea that afirmative action will be there at every stage of education breeds the idea that its OK to not get by just on merits.

Originally posted by ocean11
I think whats OUTRAGEOUS is that who ever this person is that calls themselves 'Zionist' is promoting a heated racial debate. [...]HOWEVER, don't represent yourself as a Zionist, those that don't know much about zionists and zionism may get the wrong impression of who zionists really are. [..]people like you make me sick
What? So if I'm Jewish, I can't be anti affirmative action? I have news for you. Many Jewish people are anti affirmative action. Not every Jewish person is liberal, just like not every African American is liberal, just like not every white southern Christian is conservative. It's just as bad to expect someone to think a certain way or support certain issues because they have a particular religion or background.

People who pidgeon hole someone just because they come from a certain segment of society make me sick. :p

Originally posted by mashce
Also, statistics show that the average black IQ is 15 points lower than the average caucasian IQ which is lower than the average Asian IQ.
Oh god - i really hope you dont believe that :rolleyes:
well, like i've always said - never underestimate the ability of stupid people to blend in :mad: :mad:
anyway - just wanted to drop my two cents in here about the whole asian not being minorities in med school.
AA isnt about reparations, its about representation.
and if you disagree - do it silently. cuz you're wrong. and you're stupid.
its better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Nirvana... I don't doubt that you are right about many Jews being anti-affirmative action just like everyone else... but at times like these... were anti-semitism is on the rise... we don't need someone who represents themselves as 'Zionist' to come out with controversial comments... it leads to racism believe it or not!

Why didn't 'zionist' call himself a different name?!?! that would have been different... I think if you're going to represent yourself as such you need to be more careful about what you say!

Its too bad the world is the way it is... but thats the way things are right now!

you know ihave come to change my view, why the hell shouldnt race be a factor, everything else and its fuking mother is a factor, so bring on race.. im white as white can be but hey i say if ya can play the race card play it.. i would

To start off, the AAMC says, "The current URM definition consists of Blacks, Mexican Americans, Native Americans (that is, American Indian, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians) and mainland Puerto Ricans." So contrary to previous statements on these boards, Pacific Islanders other than Hawaiians are NOT considered URMs, nor are many Hispanics.

Originally posted by Mangs
Someone in an earlier post posed a good question, how many of the non-URMS who are so vocally opposed to AA have visted urban areas, rural areas, and other parts of the United States where URMs have been relegated to as marginal members of society??

I've lived in Newark, in Bed-Stuy, in Manhattan just below Harlem (when it was still bad), and in some of the worst areas in Hawaii (yes, they really do exist). My fiance was born in Brownsville and is Black. Neither of us agree on AA for medical school, and both of us are politically quite liberal.

Without belaboring the importance of HISTORY

We shouldn't forget the horrendous history of non-URM minorities in the U.S. either- oh wait, most people never knew THAT history. I guess it isn't relevant.
But then, it isn't- as DarkChild said, "AA isnt about reparations, its about representation." (Without reparations, many SDNer's pro-AA arguments are shot) Which again begs the question, to what end? From everything I've read on the subject, to the end of better serving patients. And I will, as usual, argue that favor should be shown according to 1) economics, and 2) area of origin, as ANYONE FROM ANYWHERE IS MORE LIKELY TO RETURN TO WHERE THEY CAME FROM. Those from underserved communities are more likely to go back and serve those same communities, no matter what race they are.

If anyone out there disputes the fact that there is a huge difference in terms of allocation of resources, based on the economic power of communities in Flatbush Brooklyn vs. Scarsdale New York, then I think you are truly speaking from a point of misinformation.

Nope, not disputing that. Just disputing the logic that poor areas with majority URMs = all URMs are from poor areas. For example, would you make the economic argument about my close childhood friend? He was half black/half white, raised by two white parent, lived on the same block as I (the mostly white with a bit of AI genetics girl) did, and went to the same school that I did. Oh yes, and was about 10 times more popular than I was, and wore much cooler clothes.
There seems to be an assumption that because many members of a group have had certain hardships, ALL members of that group should receive "credit" for said hardships. If you want the argument to be about economics (which it's not, according to AAMC), then make it about economics.

Before you continue to blunder and speak only from an emotional platform, you should educate yourself about circumstances beyond your realm.

Indeed Mangs, you should. Your arguments aren't in line with the AAMC argument for AA in medical school, despite what many people on these boards seem to believe.

There's a reason why there is an immense gap between the health outcomes of African American males in America and their white counterparts.

Which isn't entirely- many would argue mostly- dependent on their relationships with their physicians. The stats I've read on the subject point to lesser degrees of education, which, of course, goes back to economics, as well as history. But not

Did you know that a young black male in Harlem has a life expectancy comperable to a male of the same age in a developing or "third world" country??

Yes, I knew that, although I wonder if there has been any change in those stats since the most recent gentrification began (seems to have made a difference in Brownsville, although that's just be hearsay on my part). Not to mention that the crack wars of the 80's sure didn't help those stats.

Does that make sense? Here in the US, the land of opportunity? Many many people of color are slipping through the cracks, suffering from ill health which of course is tied into larger fundamental causes, ie poverty, inequities, lack of access to health care..

Which isn't the exclusive sufferance of URMs. There are many non-URMs, minority and non (even here on these boards!), that are slipping through those same cracks. Never mind that even middle class families (of whatever race) often go uninsured now. Indeed, there are many people who have had to quit working so as to qualify for Medicaid in order to receive chronic care. But that has nothing to do with AA, does it?

Why is it that a large percentage of physicians in this country were white for so long? Do we not see that as strange?

Not in the least. Just like I don't see the historic paucity of female physicians as strange. The U.S. was (and is) a strongly patriarchal, WASPy society. We're working on it, although we may disagree on how to do so.

Particularly when all of America is not white. It is important to have the physician population reflect America.

If there were only 10 black applicants out of the WHOLE applicant pool this year, do you think all 10 of them should therefore be accepted? What if 5 of them have 2.0 GPAs and 20 MCATs?

The greatest lack seems to be in the applicant pool- percentage wise, there aren't as many URM applicants as there are URM in the general population. If there were, would we then have a quota system, where URMs would compete of URM slots and non-URMs would compete for non-URM slots? If so, this would assume that the average URM applicant was somehow different than the average non-URM applicant in other ways. The logic of such a system just doesn't add up. Nor does the logic of the one in place.

Not for the cute ideal of a more diverse class but because America is diverse.

Interesting that you call the ideal of a more diverse class "cute". One of the arguments made by the AAMC is that class diversity is fundamental in and of itself, as it allows the whole class exposure to more of the human spectrum on an intimate level, thus making everyone better doctors. As usual, the vocal AA proponent appears not to have read the actual AAMC documents.

I'll continue this shortly...

Originally posted by Mangs Did you know that even the most well meaning and well informed white physician can inject his or her racial sterotypes and biases when treating a patient of color?
Did you know that straight/Christian/male physicians can do the same thing with their bisexual/Buddhist/F2Mtransexual (for example, in case you didn't gather) patients?

As a matter of fact, I have a friend do an ob/gyn residency right now that complains about how her attendings often make offensive assumptions/have inappropriate reactions about their lesbian patients. This does not mean that she or any GLBT person I know in the medical community believes that medical schools should actively pursue queer candidates. What it means is that compassionate curricula need to include discussions about sexual and gender diversity, and residency programs need to do the same. The history of discrimination and violence against queers is even more immediate than that against blacks- hate crime laws often don't even cover queer victims, and homophobia is incredibly, OPENLY common. As for whether GLBTs are UR or not- well, we can't even talk about such things openly enough to take an accurate count. If we could, would you support inclusion of GLBTs in the URM category?
If you think this is all far off in our distant history, I only need to point you to the Tuskeegee Study
That wasn't "injecting racial stereotypes", that was, as you said, a
gross abuse of the biomedical tradition
They are two totally different things. The distrust that was fostered by these abuses (as Tuskeegee wasn't the only abuse) is not exclusive to blacks or URMs- ever read "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down"? That family wouldn't be considered URM, despite being very "diverse", extremely poor, not speaking English, few docs of the same ethnicity, etc. Seems pretty incredible to me.
Due to the intrinsic power differential in the physician patient relationship, most patients will not be able to advocate for themselves. Therefore having people of color in the physician community is vital.
The cause-effect relationship is unclear in what you said. Are you saying that people of color (oh wait, other than Asians, or most types of Hispanics, or Samoans, or or or...), because of their color, are fundamentally better able to advocate for their patients?
Who better to educate you than your peers?
So you must be of the same color as someone to be their peer? I guess most of my peers really weren't then...
Also, a legacy of wrong doings, marginalization, oppression, and violence does not just get erased. Not in one decade and not in two, it takes generations.
So BECAUSE he is black, my fiance would make a better physician than I will? Honestly, he would suck at it. All the legacy in the world can't change that.
I argue that if an apology takes until the Clinton Administration of the early 90s to come by when slavery ended in the 19th Century, what makes anyone believe that things have suddenly become all fair?
Anyone who says that anything in life is fair has their head up their okole. (How does an apology change anything?) I argue that the bulk of "unfairness" in terms of educational opportunity comes from economics, and any rectification FOR such should be treating it AS such. This would give points to many of the people in those economically depressed areas such as Harlem and Flatbush, while giving residents of Appalachia and Palolo a "fair" shake.

But again, the AAMC ruling on AA has nothing to do with reparations. Which is one reason they are looking at including more groups under the URM heading, because what they have now just doesn't cut it. Maybe they'll figure out that using geography and economics would do an even better job...

"Have you ever visited an inner city neighbohood? Your comments scream ignorance if you think the average inner city black child can simply "work hard" and be on par with an average white in social standing"

Mike59,

This is why it should be based on "economical status" as already mentioned. I agree, most people can't begin to comprehend how difficult some people growing up in the inner cities have it because most suburbs are bubbles that shelter their children away from areas such as those. So how could we go wrong by basing it on "ECONOMICAL STATUS"? One more question: would you be willing to give your spot in medschool to a minority while you go to the carribeans? I think I know the answer to that.

You guys who support AA and constantly complain about the plight of the less fortunate have a negative attitute - that's what's stopping you.

If you worked as hard as you complain your reality might be different. Idiots.