Should research that I got course credit also be put as EC?

Golden-Future

2+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Should research that I got course credit also be put as EC? Since so much time was put into it verses coursework.

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
This would make as much sense you claiming your English 1 or PE classes as an EC. Or your homework, for that matter.

extracurricular
adjective ex·tra·cur·ric·u·lar \ ˌek-strə-kə-ˈri-kyə-lər \

1 :not falling within the scope of a regular curriculum; specifically :of or relating to officially or semiofficially approved and usually organized student activities (such as athletics) connected with school and usually carrying no academic credit
  • extracurricular sports
2 a :lying outside one's regular duties or routine

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
This would make as much sense you claiming your English 1 or PE classes as an EC. Or your homework, for that matter.

extracurricular

1 :not falling within the scope of a regular curriculum; specifically :of or relating to officially or semiofficially approved and usually organized student activities (such as athletics) connected with school and usually carrying no academic credit
  • extracurricular sports
I will have to disagree with my esteemed colleague here. The applicant can discuss research, whether via course, paid, or voluntary, under the Work/Activities category of research and I would advise applicants to do so

About the Ads

hebrewBAMmer

7+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2012
Status

extracurricular

• extracurricular sports
Not sure I agree. All my PhD research I technically get credit for since it's a requirement to have a minimum number of credits to be enrolled in the program, but your writing would imply I shouldn't have included any of that in the work and activities section. A lot of research opportunities at schools give students credit even if it's strictly research.

Terry Toma

2+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2015
Status
Medical Student

extracurricular

• extracurricular sports
"EC" is just shorthand. The actual application section is titled "experience." While I'd agree that for-credit research does not fit the literal definition of "extracurricular," I think it could be reasonably be included as a relevant experience.

Reactions: LizzyM

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Not sure I agree. All my PhD research I technically get credit for since it's a requirement to have a minimum number of credits to be enrolled in the program, but your writing would imply I shouldn't have included any of that in the work and activities section. A lot of research opportunities at schools give students credit even if it's strictly research.
Far different from a UG course. Not even in the same universe. I agree that experience, if there's a prompt for it on the app, is worth mentioning.

bootsandspooky

2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Well n=1, but I had several classes with device design and research projects that were related to medicine and were not insignificant, so I threw them all under the category "other" in my AMCAS work and activities. The experience name indicated that they were all class projects, and I briefly described each, my role, # hours, and semester taken within the description box. My thinking was that there are many undergraduate majors that do not have experiences like this and I wanted to further demonstrate how I had seen and learned about x, y, z. It does not appear to have hurt me at all so far.

Reactions: Catalystik

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Should research that I got course credit also be put as EC?
The applicant can discuss research, whether via course, paid, or voluntary, under the Work/Activities category of research and I would advise applicants to do so
I agree it would belong under the category of Research and not under the category of Extracurricular, the latter being another available choice in the AMCAS application.

Reactions: bootsandspooky
OP
Golden-Future

Golden-Future

2+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
For the record, I am a Master's student who is doing a Masters thesis. Additionally, I did a research rotation far beyond the hour requirement, and some of it was spent teaching follow students laboratory techniques. So I wanted to mention that part.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
For the record, I am a Master's student who is doing a Masters thesis. Additionally, I did a research rotation far beyond the hour requirement, and some of it was spent teaching follow students laboratory techniques. So I wanted to mention that part.
If you like, you can split out the teaching and its separate hours and list it on its own under a Teaching tag, provided the hours are substantial enough, and especially if you have no other Teaching.

Reactions: Doctor-S and LizzyM

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Far different from a UG course. Not even in the same universe. I agree that experience, if there's a prompt for it on the app, is worth mentioning.
@Golden-Future
The AAMC application has room for 15 "experiences". Each experience is given a "tag" such as "honor/award", "research/lab", "community service/volunteer, clinical", "teaching/tutoring/teaching assistant", "publication", "poster", "leadership- not listed elsewhere". It is very common to list items for which academic credit was granted in the experience section.

OP
Golden-Future

Golden-Future

2+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
@Golden-Future
The AAMC application has room for 15 "experiences". Each experience is given a "tag" such as "honor/award", "research/lab", "community service/volunteer, clinical", "teaching/tutoring/teaching assistant", "publication", "poster", "leadership- not listed elsewhere". It is very common to list items for which academic credit was granted in the experience section.
Can I list multiple things under each tag. For example, I have multiple awards/honors, can l list them all under the honor/award category, and it counts as one?

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
About the Ads