Should research that I got course credit also be put as EC?

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Golden-Future

Jun 14, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Should research that I got course credit also be put as EC? Since so much time was put into it verses coursework.

Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
This would make as much sense you claiming your English 1 or PE classes as an EC. Or your homework, for that matter.

extracurricular
adjective ex·tra·cur·ric·u·lar \ ˌek-strə-kə-ˈri-kyə-lər \

1 :not falling within the scope of a regular curriculum; specifically :of or relating to officially or semiofficially approved and usually organized student activities (such as athletics) connected with school and usually carrying no academic credit
  • extracurricular sports
2 a :lying outside one's regular duties or routine

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
This would make as much sense you claiming your English 1 or PE classes as an EC. Or your homework, for that matter.

extracurricular

1 :not falling within the scope of a regular curriculum; specifically :of or relating to officially or semiofficially approved and usually organized student activities (such as athletics) connected with school and usually carrying no academic credit
  • extracurricular sports

I will have to disagree with my esteemed colleague here. The applicant can discuss research, whether via course, paid, or voluntary, under the Work/Activities category of research and I would advise applicants to do so

Reactions: 3 users
About the Ads

hebrewBAMmer

7+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2012
Status (Visible)

extracurricular

• extracurricular sports

Not sure I agree. All my PhD research I technically get credit for since it's a requirement to have a minimum number of credits to be enrolled in the program, but your writing would imply I shouldn't have included any of that in the work and activities section. A lot of research opportunities at schools give students credit even if it's strictly research.

Terry Toma

5+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

extracurricular

• extracurricular sports

"EC" is just shorthand. The actual application section is titled "experience." While I'd agree that for-credit research does not fit the literal definition of "extracurricular," I think it could be reasonably be included as a relevant experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Not sure I agree. All my PhD research I technically get credit for since it's a requirement to have a minimum number of credits to be enrolled in the program, but your writing would imply I shouldn't have included any of that in the work and activities section. A lot of research opportunities at schools give students credit even if it's strictly research.
Far different from a UG course. Not even in the same universe. I agree that experience, if there's a prompt for it on the app, is worth mentioning.

bootsandspooky

5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
Well n=1, but I had several classes with device design and research projects that were related to medicine and were not insignificant, so I threw them all under the category "other" in my AMCAS work and activities. The experience name indicated that they were all class projects, and I briefly described each, my role, # hours, and semester taken within the description box. My thinking was that there are many undergraduate majors that do not have experiences like this and I wanted to further demonstrate how I had seen and learned about x, y, z. It does not appear to have hurt me at all so far.

Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Should research that I got course credit also be put as EC?
The applicant can discuss research, whether via course, paid, or voluntary, under the Work/Activities category of research and I would advise applicants to do so
I agree it would belong under the category of Research and not under the category of Extracurricular, the latter being another available choice in the AMCAS application.

Golden-Future

Jun 14, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
For the record, I am a Master's student who is doing a Masters thesis. Additionally, I did a research rotation far beyond the hour requirement, and some of it was spent teaching follow students laboratory techniques. So I wanted to mention that part.

Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
For the record, I am a Master's student who is doing a Masters thesis. Additionally, I did a research rotation far beyond the hour requirement, and some of it was spent teaching follow students laboratory techniques. So I wanted to mention that part.
If you like, you can split out the teaching and its separate hours and list it on its own under a Teaching tag, provided the hours are substantial enough, and especially if you have no other Teaching.

Reactions: 1 users

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
Far different from a UG course. Not even in the same universe. I agree that experience, if there's a prompt for it on the app, is worth mentioning.
@Golden-Future
The AAMC application has room for 15 "experiences". Each experience is given a "tag" such as "honor/award", "research/lab", "community service/volunteer, clinical", "teaching/tutoring/teaching assistant", "publication", "poster", "leadership- not listed elsewhere". It is very common to list items for which academic credit was granted in the experience section.

Reactions: 2 users

Golden-Future

Jun 14, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
@Golden-Future
The AAMC application has room for 15 "experiences". Each experience is given a "tag" such as "honor/award", "research/lab", "community service/volunteer, clinical", "teaching/tutoring/teaching assistant", "publication", "poster", "leadership- not listed elsewhere". It is very common to list items for which academic credit was granted in the experience section.

Can I list multiple things under each tag. For example, I have multiple awards/honors, can l list them all under the honor/award category, and it counts as one?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.