Should the name of the specialty change?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tragalpointer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I came across an interesting article recently (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24316790/) that basically talks about whether the specialty name should change from 'Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery' to just 'Head and Neck Surgery'. I know programs like UCLA have changed their entire department name to Head and Neck Surgery already, and some residents I've spoken to also seem to want the specialty name to change simply to Head and Neck Surgery. I would like to know (especially from an attending viewpoint) whether such name change is likely in the near future. Would it hurt private practice if we started calling ourselves head and neck surgeons instead of Ears Nose and Throat doctors?

Members don't see this ad.

I agree the name should be easy to use for patients. I practice in a rural area and my patients really prefer Ear Nose Throat or they will call me whatever their issue is: ear doctor, nose doctor, throat doctor, etc. I've never had a patient call me an otolaryngologist. Everyone else may have a different experience.

Stupid idea. It's confusing to patients and it ignores the fact that the majority of ENT patients are managed non-surgically.

Reactions: 1 user
^^^ very good point