Should these classes be included in BCPM gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EETTOMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I have a few classes on my transcript that I do not know how to take into when calculating the BCPM gpa. I completed GCE "Advanced" Level (equivalent to completing high school in the US) and obtained credit for those classes when I started college in the US. However, since I was an engineering major, I had to take upper-level classes of the same subject. Every school has their own way of interpreting the GCE results, and the ones I have might actually end up hurting me. Hopefully the information below will clarify it further

Transfer credit for GCE A Level
Pre Calculus = 5 crdt hrs (Grade = A)
Calculus I = 4 crdt hrs (Grade = A)
Principles of Statistics 3 Crdt hr (A)
College Physics I Lab 1 crdt hr (B)
College Physics I 3 crdt hr (B)
College Physics II Lab 1 crdt hr (B)
College Physics II 3 crdt hr (B)

However as an engineering major, I had to take the following the classes among others

University Physics I + Lab (Calculus based) 4 Crdt hrs = Grade A
University Physics II + Lab (Calculus based) 4 Crdt hrs = Grade A

Calculating BCPM without including the GCE transferred classes, I have a BCPM of 3.62, however, because of the way my school calculated my GCE equivalent grades it goes down to 3.58. Provided I can get As in all my post-bac classes (Bio I+II, Orgo I+II), it goes to 3.69. I am not positive if I will be competitive enough with such a GPA.

So should I count the physics and other GCE transferred classes when calculating my BCPM GPA?

Also are the following math classes part of BCPM?

Calculus II, Calculus III, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Discrete Mathematics

Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Were you given a grade for your GCE classes by the University or just credit hours. I think if you were given grade you have to put the classes
As for your math classes they are all BCMP

Yeah, search around on the internets for amcas bcpm. It'll tell you everything that counts and doesn't. There are some gray areas like if you took statics or mechanics courses but I'm planning on putting the ones I did well on in the bcpm ( within reason) and ignoring the others. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just do the best you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Consult the AMCAS manual to answer your question about whether transfer credits count. (found on the AAMC website or just Google it)

Were you given a grade for your GCE classes by the University or just credit hours. I think if you were given grade you have to put the classes
As for your math classes they are all BCMP

Consult the AMCAS manual to answer your question about whether transfer credits count. (found on the AAMC website or just Google it)

Hey OldBat. Thanks for your input. They provided me with actual grades and the number of equivalent credit hours. So I guess, that will be included in the AMCAS gpa.

@mauberly...Thanks mauberly for your input as well. They are not exactly transfer credits. They are sort of like AP credits that US high schools student possess. In any case, just in terms of raw GPA, is a 3.69 competitive enough? I understand it is not just about numbers, but then again part of it is. I am from Massachusetts and due to the strict residency requirements, I will not be able to to apply to the state school. Hence, I would like to be competitive as an OOS at other schools.

Also, on a separate note, is it a good idea to start reviewing gen chem and physics using the TBR books from now on? Or is it too early? I intend to take the MCAT in Spring of 2014.

Thanks for your help fellow SDNers. I really appreciate it. :)