Should we even learn the mechanism of how hypokalemia changes the ECG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ven0m

boop
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For example, if the U wave's amplitude is greater than the T wave's amplitude, then there is likely a serum K+ level of less than 3 mEq.

Additionally, the T wave inverts, and a QU interval appears, due to the T and U waves.

I know K+ efflux out of excitable cells is what maintains the resting membrane potential (negative) and that K+ efflux is what mediates repolarization, but I don't really know how to translate that into the findings on the ECG.

So do you think we should memorize exactly how hypokalemia affects each segment the ECG, or should we just memorize the findings without going that deep?

Thanks, feeling a bit stupid sorry.

Members don't see this ad.

For example, if the U wave's amplitude is greater than the T wave's amplitude, then there is likely a serum K+ level of less than 3 mEq.

Additionally, the T wave inverts, and a QU interval appears, due to the T and U waves.

I know K+ efflux out of excitable cells is what maintains the resting membrane potential (negative) and that K+ efflux is what mediates repolarization, but I don't really know how to translate that into the findings on the ECG.

So do you think we should memorize exactly how hypokalemia affects each segment the ECG, or should we just memorize the findings without going that deep?

Thanks, feeling a bit stupid sorry.
The mechanism of U waves is not established. It's thought to be related to repolarization of the His-Purkinje network. So no, you don't really need to know the mechanism.

Sent from my trltetmo using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user