Should you accept a program you are not happy with if it is your only choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tngdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to go through the scramble and am looking at my options. I plan on trying to get a preliminary position before going onto my desired specialty (which requires a preliminary year). For personal reasons there are some preliminary programs in the New York area that I feel that I will not be happy at and am wondering about the following. Would it be better to take a position that I am not happy with (in a location that I prefer not to be in and with training that it looks like I will not happy be with) rather than going unmatched? Or would it be better to go unmatched if I do not get into the kind of preliminary program I am looking for and try to find research in the specialty that I am interested in at a more desired program – although there are no guarantees?

Because my board scores are low I am beginning to think that it may be better to try to get a residency, even if I am not happy with it, and then use this experience to help me get a better research position if I do not get into my desired specialty after the preliminary year. I have good references, have worked hard and am willing to continue to do so but did not test well. I am hesitant to accept a program that looks like it will not give me the experience I feel I need and will be unhappy at but at the same time do not want to shut out what may be my only opportunity. Has anyone had any experiences with or thoughts about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Without doubt you should take the position that is available even if it is not your ideal situation because it will open further doors for you,

Depends on what specialty you are looking at, but generally there are plenty of pgy2 positions available each year.. go for it.

tngdoc said:
I am planning to go through the scramble and am looking at my options. I plan on trying to get a preliminary position before going onto my desired specialty (which requires a preliminary year). For personal reasons there are some preliminary programs in the New York area that I feel that I will not be happy at and am wondering about the following. Would it be better to take a position that I am not happy with (in a location that I prefer not to be in and with training that it looks like I will not happy be with) rather than going unmatched? Or would it be better to go unmatched if I do not get into the kind of preliminary program I am looking for and try to find research in the specialty that I am interested in at a more desired program – although there are no guarantees?

Because my board scores are low I am beginning to think that it may be better to try to get a residency, even if I am not happy with it, and then use this experience to help me get a better research position if I do not get into my desired specialty after the preliminary year. I have good references, have worked hard and am willing to continue to do so but did not test well. I am hesitant to accept a program that looks like it will not give me the experience I feel I need and will be unhappy at but at the same time do not want to shut out what may be my only opportunity. Has anyone had any experiences with or thoughts about this?

but if your truly not happy, i would try to switch, there are still possibilities from now till july, b/c noone wants an unhappy resident, ( even they are hiding it ) and you should be somewhere you are happy, (life is short) so you dont get depressed or anything.
but if u dont find anything, try to look at all the positives