Should you be timing yourself on the OAT Achiever tests?

London22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a test timing myself and not timing myself. The non-timed results were much higher by like 30 points on some sections because I was actually able to complete everything. On the timed test I skipped a handful in each section due to lack of time.

Should I time myself or just focus on answering the questions fully?
I feel as though the questions are too complex to be accurately timed. For example when I test myself on the ADA sample test, the questions don't take me nearly as long as the Achiever on some sections.

Also was wondering on the real OAT are any of the questions very similar to the ones on the Achiever?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Achiever was a lot harder than the actual (which is most similar to ADA) so I wouldn’t worry too much about timing those. I think achiever gave a good idea of what topics to look over, but was kind of different than the actual OAT... so as long as you’re aware of the time you’ll have on the actual and what it would take you to solve ADA type questions you’ll be fine. The most important thing is to keep doing practice problems and trying to do as many full lengths as you can to get used to it

Thank you! That really helps, I am taking the test in 2 weeks and will keep testing myself each night. The more I test myself the more productive and confident I start to feel about the test.

I already rescheduled once previously in order to prepare myself more however now I might have to switch my OAT to a different day due to a scheduling conflict with work. It looks like the next available is in a couple weeks after my test, possibly going into the first week of January. I'm really hoping that won't effect my application. Just want to get this OAT over with.