Should you do discretes first on CBT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kstreet

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, people who have taken the test or are about to take the test...do discretes give you easy points in the beginning and should you do them first before the passages?

Members don't see this ad.

I guess it all depends on your preferences and what works best for you but in my opinion I think doing the discretes first is a waste of time. You need to answer all the questions anyway. I find that doing the discretes after a few passages is almost a reward and gives you a break from reading. But do what has worked best for you. :)

So, people who have taken the test or are about to take the test...do discretes give you easy points in the beginning and should you do them first before the passages?

I do the discretes first because it gets me into test mode. If I started with a passage, I would realize half way through I was not paying attention because I was too busy thinking "oh my gosh...this is it...this is the mcat, the most important test of my life" blah blah blah.

I think that flipping through all the pages on the CBT is sort of a waste of time. I always disagreed with the kaplan strategy of doing them of the whole time factor.

Members don't see this ad :)
One other thing...it helps me with my time. I realize after doing the discretes how much time I have for each passage and I can allocate that time a little better knowing the only thing I have left to do is seven passages.

i use discretes as breaks for my mind. little pit stops if you will. Don't use them all up at the same time :)

i would recommend against doing them all first unless you are hard pressed on time.

i use discretes as breaks for my mind. little pit stops if you will. Don't use them all up at the same time :)

i would recommend against doing them all first unless you are hard pressed on time.

Yup, that is why I started doing them first. It really works for those of you doing poorly on time.

It's different for everyone, as you can tell with the posts above. Some people need warm-up questions. Other people use the discretes as small breaks from reading passages. The important thing is doing practice tests yourself and seeing which you prefer. Ultimately you're taking the test so naturally you want to do whatever makes you feel most comfortable.