Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Should you give up on a specialty because its too competititve?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by JPFL75, Mar 13, 2002.

1. JPFL75

JPFL75 Member
    7+ Year Member

We all know how difficult certain specialties are to match in. However, should you give up on trying to match into one of the ultra competitive specialties if you are not at the top of your class with outstanding board scores?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. hosskp1

hosskp1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The quick anwswer is HELL NO. NEVER Give up. Do not let some critic tell you it will never happen. KEEP FIGHTING AWAY-- even if you do not get in on your first try (that is if you really want it). Some people might tell you to move on if you do not get what you want-- but I say go do some research, rotations, and make some connections. These things might help you move up the line far enough to get in. Do not waste time worrying about things that you can not change of after the fact-- focus on stuff that you can do something about.
    plug away-- someone once told me if good grades get you in the front door, then research will get you in the side door. the bottom line is-- it all depends on how serious you are about what you want. nothing is easy, but it can be achieved. DO NOT LET PEOPLE TELL YOU OTHERWISE.

4. wandering_scholar

wandering_scholar Junior Member

100% agree. If you really know what you love, go for it.

I was originally rejected from the University that I eventually graduated from (Berkeley), and I was not initially offered an interview at my first choice med school, which I am now attending (Sackler).

Just work your ass off to do well in your specialty elective, show them you are serious, and do whatever you have to do to kick ass on the boards.

ERIC

5. Goofy

Goofy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with the above sentiment. NEVER EVER EVER give up, if you want it that bad. If you really really want something, you can and will get it, but you must put in the required effort. Where there is a will there is a way.

I was told as a high schooler, not to fulfill my dreams of becoming a physician because my grades were subpar. I went on to graduate from a prestigious undergrad univ as valedictorian and with several clinical and extra curric honors. Thems were fighting words. If you believe in yourself, you will succeed. If you bow to horror stories of the masses, you will fail.

Just go for it, and don't look back.

6. NuMD97

NuMD97 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Some of those so-called high school "advisors" should be shot. The damage they cause in undermining people's self-confidence is just incredible. Many folks (some examples are posted here) are late bloomers and come to their chosen fields not "according to schedule."

The key is determination and a lot of very hard work, and most importantly, the belief in oneself that you can succeed in spite of overwhelming odds. In Medicine, there are multiple routes that lead to the same goal. You just have to decide if you want it badly enough. And then fight for it with everything you've got. Good luck!

7. Whisker Barrel Cortex

10+ Year Member

I have to be the voice of reason here. Firstly, choosing a medical specialty, in most cases, is not as definite a thing as applying for medical school. For most people I know, they would be relatively happy with more than one specialty. This means that after trying to get a certain residency in a specialty for 2 years in a row you still can not find one, going into another one is not as different as not going to medical school.

Of course, if you are dead set on a specialty and cannot imagine doing anything else, then by all means try longer. There is no guarantee that you will find a spot and may have to face residency in another specialty 4 years later (this would be at age 29 for me and older for the average med student).

My second point is much more practical. Many medical students these days are in debt over $100,000. As I mentioned above, most med students will be 25-35 when graduating. By doing research or another residency while attempting to find a spot in the "only" specialty for you, you are delaying the payment of these loans. Also, deferment is only during residency and is allowed for a limited time (5 years I think). So you could face the reality of being a 30-40 year old with a 40K income and tons of loans, with interest hanging over your head and a good income still years away. Not the situation most people want to be in.

I say try for a couple years, but if it doesn't happen, there must be other specialties you will be just as happy to practice.

8. Knight

Knight Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't have a lot to add to the good thoughts above. Just to state things in a different way in a subject that is dear to my heart.

With very few exceptions, obstables in life are not absolute; they are perceived one. Overcoming this imaginary obstable is the most decisive step towards achieving your goal.

At what point does it become futile after trying your best? No one else can tell you. Listen to your own heart.

Best of luck.

9. hosskp1

hosskp1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    let me just add:
    I did not get into medical school on my first try, or second try. So what? I am here now. If I did not get in on my third try, I was going to reapply. I was told more than once by many people(many advisors at my school) to just give up and move on. I let them talk and at the end of it- I did not listen to the experts. When my MCAT score came back really high, they all shut up. MY friends and family told me to continue on with the mission and to this day, I am that determined.

sometimes to reach your goals you are going to have to work a bit harder than everyone else--so what. It might hurt you more than someone else-so what. It is better to just let people who think that you should move on talk-- just do not listen. I have not heard of too many people who have to apply more than two or three times to get into what they wanted. There is the story of the guy who took 4 years after medical school to match into Ortho, but guess what, he did it (and it was a really good program too). No one is ever going to ask how long it took you to get into the specialty. If I decide to go into Ortho, and it takes me 4 years, I will accept it ( I have not made that decision yet). I could care less about my debt, my salary, or any miniscule B.S. MY mind is on the mission and will remain there.
    (see the quotes in my signature?-- I try and live that every day of my life.).

10. carddr

carddr Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

:(

I know there are worse things in life (like 9/11,cancer, you get the picture) but for me going out the door everyday to a job I hated would top the chart...play your "dream" card as long as you can....

I had a professor who told me I wasn't engineering material and I consulted with someone else and they reviewed the course I was taking from this professor as they had taken the course themselves, they could not believe how it was being taught, with a few sessions we realized what the problem was and it wasn't me...4 years later I saw that professor at MY graduation...couldn't help myself it was a good feeling.. So watch out for DOOMSAYERS!!!!