Should you not puruse dentistry if...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applicant

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should you not pursue dentistry if you know that you suck at working with hands?

Should you not pursue dentistry if you don't like the idea of working with hands?

I am a predental and I am really worried because I suck at working with hands. I don't like the idea of working with hands. I am really worried that I will not be a capable dentist because of my very poor hand skills.

I would appreciate any advice/input on this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
just out of curiousity then, why do you want to be a dentist? I"m not saying that working with your hands is the only reason to persue dentistry, but I would think that it's one of the big ones.

What type of things should I do to improve my hand skills?

Members don't see this ad :)
Career opportunities for holders of DDS/DMD degrees surely exist which do not require one to be licensed to practice dentistry(academics, public health, dental equipment sales). However, in sort of a catch 22, I would imagine that you would be required to demonstrate proficient surgical skills with patients in dental school before you would be granted a DDS/DMD degree.

If you really have a strong distaste for working with your hands, as you put it, then any surgical specialty would pretty much be eliminated by that criteria (including most dental specialties as well as medical specialties).

As was mentioned before, you could perhaps excel in academia, but in order to get a dental degree you'll have to endure years of working with your hands, AND have that work scrutinized by professors and licensing committees.

If being involved in healthcare and the biomedical sciences have always your dream, perhaps you would find yourself with more enjoyment by pursuing a research-oriented career, or a career in medicine as an internist.

By the way, you began your post by saying that you don't like the idea of working with your hands, and then you finish your post by saying that you suck at working with your hands.

If I may ask, how do you know this? What types of activities have led you to this conclusion?

Dentists DO work with their hands and they DO work in small spaces that require precision, but from what I've seen it doesn't require much dexterity.

A good eye, yes. A study hand, yes. A vision of what the finished product will look like, yes. But not necessarily the ability to tie knots in an obscenely small area.

Does this make sense? So let us know why you feel you can't work with your hands. It could be that the activites you are thinking of have NOTHING to do with how good you'll be at dentistry. Lots of dentists have poor coordination and stink at sports, and lots can't play the piano, etc., etc.

I was suck with my hand skills too. The first 8 hrs of my training in dental hygiene program was horrible and frustrated. Several times that I just wanted to throw my instruments or break it in half. My wrists and fingers were so numbed that evening. It got better and better every week. I passed all of my instrument competency tests this semester. Just in 4 months, I can use most of hygiene instruments and handpieces proficiently and accurately. Your hand skills can be trained but not without lots of practices. Good luck! Don't let other people scare you about dentistry. This is a very good career to get into. By the way, I don't know how to play any kind of music instrument.

Originally posted by blankguy
What type of things should I do to improve my hand skills?

....... using chopsticks..... (hope I spelled it correctly)....

Originally posted by larryt
....... using chopsticks..... (hope I spelled it correctly)....

I do that. I also have a part time job selling Italian Charm bracelets. Those buggers are a pain in the neck to put together. My fingers are taking a beating putting the Charm bracelets together for customers. In fact I have opened up a little gash on one of my fingers in my right hand.:(

Thanks for replies.

I know that I would love to work in dentistry...I think it's very rewarding in that it gives patients direct help

But the only thing that worries me about pursuing dental profession is manual dexterity...I don't know exactly how I know I suck at working with hands or how I don't like the idea of working with hands...but it's just a feeling I have that I will suck at working with hands...

I am really not good at working with instruments either...I really suck at working with small stuff (like picking up small stuff with something...or something like that etc...) ...I love sports but the sports I can't play are like those where you have to use something to hit the ball...such as baseball...I can't use chopsticks right...I can't play piano well...These all add up to my feeling that I will suck at working with my hands and hence I won't be a capable dentist at all...

Is this something I should worry about when pursuing dental profession? I am really worried about the manual dexterity part of dentistry.

Like Gavin said, I think the "manual dexterity" component of dentistry is misnamed. I think "manual precision" is a better way of describing it. There's nothing HARD mechanically about cutting a cavity prep 1.8mm deep; it's as much in your eyes as in your fingers. Based on my experience so far, If I were faced with the choice as a dentist, I'd MUCH rather have a good mind for spatial relationships but clumsy hands, than the other way around.

Originally posted by aphistis
Like Gavin said, I think the "manual dexterity" component of dentistry is misnamed. I think "manual precision" is a better way of describing it. There's nothing HARD mechanically about cutting a cavity prep 1.8mm deep; it's as much in your eyes as in your fingers. Based on my experience so far, If I were faced with the choice as a dentist, I'd MUCH rather have a good mind for spatial relationships but clumsy hands, than the other way around.

Exactly what I was trying to say, but said much better.

Using chopsticks, playing the piano, playing sports, etc, really say very LITTLE about using your hands. Trust me.

You have VISUALIZE many things in dentistry and then have steady hands--but that doesn't mean you have to have tons of dexterity, or anything even related to that.

You eat with a spoon and fork, I assume? If so, you can be a dentist.