Should you send a LOI for Internal Medicine to your top choice residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sanfran256

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard mixed things, especially with the new guidelines about PIC. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can send one but you don’t have to. It likely won’t improve your rank on their list but it almost certainly will not hurt you. What you shouldn’t do is send them to more than one program or send one to a program that specifically asked you on Interview day not to send anything. Additionally, I would avoid sending any communication that implies you’re ranking a program highly but not #1.

FWIW, I’m two years out from the Match so I’m not educated on the new guidelines about PIC.

Reactions: 1 user
You can send one but you don’t have to. It likely won’t improve your rank on their list but it almost certainly will not hurt you. What you shouldn’t do is send them to more than one program or send one to a program that specifically asked you on Interview day not to send anything. Additionally, I would avoid sending any communication that implies you’re ranking a program highly but not #1.

FWIW, I’m two years out from the Match so I’m not educated on the new guidelines about PIC.

Thank you!

Just remember, it is all a game. Any communication that you receive from a program should be treated as such, and programs will treat any communication that they get from you as such.

Reactions: 1 users