Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Should you send letter of recs and committee packet before hearing from NYCOM?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by mikeaparker, Sep 28, 2001.

1. mikeaparker

mikeaparker Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Does anyone know if you should just send the info... Or should you wait to hear from them??

Has anyone heard from them, and if so what time frame after initial filinf of the AMCOMAS app.???

Thanks

Mike

2. nycom@juno.com

7+ Year Member

hello, mike parker:

i thought that the letters of recommendation (or your pre-medical committee combined letter of recommendation) was a necessary part of your initial application to nycom.

i know that some osteopathic schools, and the allopathic schools send secondary applications following their review of the amcas or aacomas application; and request further information, e.g., personal statements, and letters of recommendations then.

since nycom requires you to complete your secondary application during your interview date (hopefully), sending more information about yourself in the form of the letters of recommendation might help the admissions office to make a faster decision about your candidacy.

good luck.

p.s. don't forget to forward those transcripts to med. schools that you've applied to.

3. mikeaparker

10+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Do you work at NYCOM???

If so I have a question, I thought you didn't have to send official transcripts until you were accepted.. until then, I thought they just used the verification of the AACOMAS services....????

TIA

Mike

4. nycom@juno.com

7+ Year Member

hello, mike parker:

when i was applying to medical school, when the secondary applications were mailed to me following the medical schools' receipt of the preliminary amcas and aacomas applications, information provided by the medical schools indicated that in order for my secondary application file to be complete, i needed to send the following: official transcripts, letters of recommendation (or pre-med. combined committee letter of recommendation), secondary app. fee, personal essays/statements, and the necessary information requested of the secondary application itself, i.e., work experience, extracurriculars, etc. in the case of nycom at the time of my interview, i think i brought a copy of an "unofficial," but updated transcript that i had printed from my college website and presented it as new information to be included in my application file.

if you're uncertain about whether the new york college of osteopathic medicine requires your undergraduate school to forward your official transcript to the admissions office, please make a telephone call to nycom and ask--it would only take 30 seconds. i have no idea whether their policies have changed since i applied.

if it would help: i vaguely recall reading in the nycom application material that i received during my interview date that the admissions office needed an official, complete transcript--from all colleges attended--before i could REGISTER for enrollment at that medical school. i'm not sure about whether the admissions office needs an official transcript for review during the date of your interview.

good luck.

5. mikeaparker

10+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thank you for shedding some light!
    I was on their website and could not get anywhere.....

Mike

6. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I submitted my AACOMAS back in early July.

I recieved confirmation from NYCOM in early September. They say they recieved my application and should I be invitied for an interview, I will be asked to fill out my secondary at that time.

From what I understand, that is how NYCOM deals with all of its applicants.

Good luck.

7. mikeaparker

10+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    JPHazelton,

Did they request any committee letter or other recs. before the interview or did they request it at all???

thanks

Mike