Should you tell a school that you're choosing them because of cost?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by medicalCPA, Jun 21, 2008.

1. medicalCPA

medicalCPA Actually, it's medicalCPA, PhD now
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    I got accepted to Creighton, but I may end up not going. I simply cannot afford it (please don't ask why; it's a long story and it brings up too many bad memories :(). Anyway, I'm seriously considering spending one year and applying to other schools that cost waaay less. However, if I do so, the major factor in applying to schools this time around would be cost. Is it a good idea to tell the schools this? I think it's a little insulting to tell a school, "Well, I really wanted to go to this other school, but it's too expensive, so I'm settling for your school instead."

I know there are quite a few people who factored cost into choosing a school to apply to. Did you tell the schools this up front, or did you mention other reasons?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. IrishRxMan

Pharmacy Student
    Don't take this the wrong way, but what if you don't get accepted at any other schools next year? You have to weigh heavily the pros and cons of not taking the opportunity to go to pharmacy school now and waiting a year to apply to other less expensive schools. You should hit up the financial aid office of Creighton and see if there are any scholarships you are eligible for and hit them with enthusiasm. There are scholarships out there that are available to anyone that wants to apply regardless of undergrad or post grad/professional. I would not say exactly that I chose a school because my first choice was too expensive. That would not sit well with the interviewers or adcoms.

4. medicalCPA

Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    Trust me, I've done almost everything in my power (and yes, I contacted the financial aid office), and it still did not work. Also, what scholarships are you talking about?

5. collegegirl247

collegegirl247 Accepted Pharmacy Student

Pharmacy Student
    go to a school that makes you happy. I would like to add that you are going to wait another year to try to get into a cheaper school-thats another year longer that you will have to wait for a pharmacist salary....

6. inquirer89

What about loans...?

7. NIV

NIV Maryland 2012!

Pharmacy Student
    You can take out private loans from banks. Heard most the interest is actually lower than the stafford loans interest right now. I believe there are also Grad-Plus Loans available to cover what your financial aid doesn't cover of the cost of attendance.

8. medicalCPA

Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    Seriously, people? No one has answered my original question (except IrishRxMan).

Yes, I know that I can take out loans. Like I said, I don't want to reveal too much of my story here. I am still trying to get over the mini-depression I fell into when I realized that I may not be able to go to Creighton. Assume -- for simplicity's sake -- that I SIMPLY CANNOT go there right now.

Just tell me, would you tell an admissions committee that cost is a factor in your choosing their school? Should you?

9. SoccerCoach10

SoccerCoach10 Graduated y'all!

Resident [Any Field]

I would mention it as one of the factors, but that really should have no bearing on whether or not they consider you. Keep in mind that pharmacy school is expensive, BUT it is an investment into your future. Did you not notice the costs @ Creighton before you applied?

10. fenixtnlfan

fenixtnlfan P2 Wildcat
    Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacy Student
    I wouldn't say it. Cost and location are sorta cop-out answers to why you want to attend a school. It's like when you are applying to a job, you want to research their website and have something more intelligent and personal to say to show the employer or school you really thought about it. Even though cost is probably a big part of a lot of people's decisions for a school (it was for me), something more tailored to the program will make your interview better.

11. collegegirl247

collegegirl247 Accepted Pharmacy Student

Pharmacy Student
    well then to answer your question..no

p.s. I know somebody who is paying to go to pharmacy school ($32,000) per year as they go (no loans at all)....so NEVER say NEVER

12. medicalCPA

Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    Right now, I wish that person was me.

13. omnione

omnione SDN Pharmoderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacy Student
    I got a scholarship from Creighton. But, it was only a renewable scholarship of $2,000 per year. I'm not sure why I got this scholarship given my average college GPA and lack of an application process. Creighton does offer performance-based scholarships too.

Under your scenario, you wouldn't really be a true drop-out who dropped out for bombing classes. You haven't even started anything yet. If you must address the issue during a closed-file interview, then you should at least make it sound noble like "I feel that this school provides a great education for an affordable price" or something of the sort. But you shouldn't word it like your post and you shouldn't mention cost as the primary reason for choosing a particular season. You don't want to make the school think that they're the pharmacy equivalent of Wal-Mart.;)

I don't know the strength of your stats, but reapplying would incur the risk of not accepted the next cycle. That would exacerbate your situation given that you had an acceptance.

The first thing you need to do should you drop Creighton is to find out whether or not you have officially "matriculated" with them. Though you haven't started with them, they register their incoming class by now. However, there is still one checkpoint for transcripts left to make sure everyone has their grades in. People still can get into the class given that one or two usually drops out for one reason or another. I say this because getting matriculated into Creighton and then dropping out may force you to report it on your next PharmCAS application. This sets up a potential red flag you'd have to explain anyway. The point of matriculation occurs when you are officially a Creighton student and that day might be before the first day of school.

You really don't have to say anything about this year to other adcoms if you haven't matriculated and there aren't any questions about past acceptances.

14. Sparda29

Sparda29 En Taro Adun
    Pharmacist Classifieds Approved

Pharmacist
    It shouldn't affect it too much. I mean, when you're applying for jobs, employers are looking for the applicant who demands the lowest pay. So if I'm demanding $25/hour to be a pharmacy tech(2 years exp), and my friend asks for $10/hr(n00b), they would probably take my friend.

15. drugdoc

drugdoc Member

Pharmacy Student
    Creighton offers scholarships, but you don't apply for them. They screen applicants themselves - everyone is eligible.

FYI, Creighton is middle of the road, when it comes to cost. I found this hard to believe, but it's true. Check out AACP.org for a list of all schools and their costs, and you'll see....right smack in the middle.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. diVERiT

diVERiT Newly Motivated

Pharmacy Student
    Yes. I actually did. Along with many other reasons. You can use it to your advantage by mentioning it last.

"I want to go to your school because of X1, X2, X3, and truthfully, affordable tuition."

I'm not saying it's always a good idea. If they don't ask you if you were accepted at a different school and why you don't want to go there, you might not want to mention it.

I was almost in a similar situation myself so I understand how cost can feel like it holds 99% of your decision for school. Reading your posts, your stats seem competitive and I personally believe you can get accepted elsewhere next year. But don't hold me to it.

18. tharper14

tharper14 P1.5

Pharmacy Student
    There's nothing wrong with mentioning it so long as you don't make it sound like it's the main reason you chose the school. I said in my essay that low cost was one of the reasons I wanted to go to UT, but I also listed a lot of other reasons too. I don't see anything wrong with it. It's a completely valid and important reason for choosing a school. I guess some people just find it more important than others.

19. ffpickle

ffpickle Thread Killer

don't mention it in your ps or supplemental.

if they ask "why us" in the interview, cost can certainly be one of (hopefully) many reasons you want to go there.

imo, it won't look bad, it will look genuine and honest. you just have to choose your words carefully- praise the school for keeping costs down but quality of education high.

20. ffpickle

ffpickle Thread Killer

Oh ya, it goes without being said, but try to be prudent with you rmoney over the next year, and try to work if you can. if you are a cpa, then you prob. already better understand this than me..

21. Garfield3d

Garfield3d An Orange Cat

Resident [Any Field]
    Personally, I would not mention cost, or at least I would not mention it directly. If it's in state, then I would say that it's closer to home and you love the state. I think it's one of those deciding factors that you would tell your friends and parents, but not the actual admission's committee. I suppose it's a bit taboo from that perspective. Everyone's thinking it, but you shouldn't mention it (I mean, who wants to pay more money than necessary?)

If you have to mention money, I would do what Omnione said, and try to blend it with another argument: 'This school combines an excellent academic environment and a proven school reputation at an affordable price.' But again, if it's an in-state school, then I would really just use "public university" or "in-state school" instead of mentioning price. I think a lot of people will understand what is implied if you say "public" or "in-state": Close to home, better logistics, and price.

--Garfield3d

22. txpharm2b

Pre-Pharmacy
    I definitely would not mention the cost factor. I would find whatever reason you can that excites you about going to a specific school and build on that.

I'm sorry to hear you don't think you'll be going to school this year. :thumbdown: From your posts it seems like you have a good head on your shoulders and would do well.

23. bon123

Hey, I am going to do the same exact thing that you are doing. I know that if I reapply next year, I will be better off. If I go this year, I will be paying 34,000 in tuition alone, and I believe I have very strong stats and will be accepted next year into a much more "cost effective" school.

As for mentioning it to schools, I will not mention that as a factor. I don't want to say something that may affect my admission, so I will do my research on cost before applying.

I think this a wise choice to do this, because I don't want to burden myself with a ton of loans, when I know I had the chance to cut down the total amount by about 50%. I worked too hard to get to the point I am at now to take this education that will cost me this much.

I was also thinking about the "matriculation" thing on pharmcas, but I am 99% sure that you wont be actually "matriculated" until your loans pay for your first semester (which is usually the day before class). So you dont have to put anything on pharmcas. (I think the marticulation question on pharmcas is for students that failed out and want to give pharmacy a second shot.) Also, none of your information saves from the previous year, unlike the med school application, so schools will not know.

24. PearLBenzene

PearLBenzene Accepted Pharmacy Student

Pharmacy Student
    i wouldn't mention it.

even though you may provide many other good reasons of why you want to attend their school, you don't want anyone in adcom to get stuck on the idea that you are resorting to their school because of the lower tuition cost.

25. OKgirl

Pre-Pharmacy
    I wouldn't mention it.

Whatever you end up deciding to do, I wish you luck!

26. UES Girl

Banned

Pharmacist

I can't offer much advice but just wanted to say : I really sincerely hope everything works out for you. You are such a good guy. I wish you lots of luck !

:love: