Shout Out to My School!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quepatho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This little dedication is for responding to my application for research credit 6 months after I submitted it. Completely dismissed my work for any credit without even pretending to give a reason.

Apparently 3+ months of 40+ hr/wk basic sciences benchwork research at a very well-known research institution, taking time off from school, getting a publication and a poster presented at a national conference, (with the full endorsement of my mentor) isn't worth any sort of credit. Not even 2 weeks of credit. Not even one day. Not even a pat on the back.

I'm just devastated because of all the scheduling sacrifices I had to make to have this opportunity (that's a completely different story). (No, I'm not MD-PhD btw, and no I haven't gotten credit for this elsewhere in any other way.)

I suspect I don't have a real recourse, but I'm trying to get whoever I can to help me. Even if I do eventually manage to get credit (which probably won't happen), I doubt it will be in time to help me in any way. I suspect I will only hear about it after I've graduated.

And normally I wouldn't care about credit except that because of the scheduling sacrifices I had to make, if I DON'T get any credit, I will literally be taking electives up until the week before I start residency. :(:(:(:(

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, they give credit to people who have done 80 hours of research or more. Well obviously only some people. Since I'm not included. The only people who have gotten credit so far are ones who have done it at the home institution.

And no, they don't have pubs, posters, or presentations. They just have people who will go to bat for them inside the committee.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did your school initially tell you you would receive credit for it?

This little dedication is for responding to my application for research credit 6 months after I submitted it. Completely dismissed my work for any credit without even pretending to give a reason.

Apparently 3+ months of 40+ hr/wk basic sciences benchwork research at a very well-known research institution, taking time off from school, getting a publication and a poster presented at a national conference, (with the full endorsement of my mentor) isn't worth any sort of credit. Not even 2 weeks of credit. Not even one day. Not even a pat on the back.

I'm just devastated because of all the scheduling sacrifices I had to make to have this opportunity (that's a completely different story). (No, I'm not MD-PhD btw, and no I haven't gotten credit for this elsewhere in any other way.)

I suspect I don't have a real recourse, but I'm trying to get whoever I can to help me. Even if I do eventually manage to get credit (which probably won't happen), I doubt it will be in time to help me in any way. I suspect I will only hear about it after I've graduated.

And normally I wouldn't care about credit except that because of the scheduling sacrifices I had to make, if I DON'T get any credit, I will literally be taking electives up until the week before I start residency. :(:(:(:(

Don't worry, old sport. Everything will be alright.