Shud i Withdraw Economics or take a C?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiffny53

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey I'm taking an online macroeconomics course and its really hard! im making a C. Im not sure if i should just withdraw it or get a C on my transcript? which one is worse? i only need economics for a couple pharmacy schools that i'm applying to..what should i dO?

* i have a 3.7 gpa. i've never dropped a course before. and ive never made a C in any of my classes so far. im applying to pharm schol next year i only have a couple more prereqs to take.

Members don't see this ad.

hey I'm taking an online macroeconomics course and its really hard! im making a C. Im not sure if i should just withdraw it or get a C on my transcript? which one is worse? i only need economics for a couple pharmacy schools that i'm applying to..what should i dO?

I will take a C but make sure you have A's for the other classes.

I would Withdraw, a C will drop your GPA like no other.

If you get a C, you should retake it.
If you get a withdraw, you have to retake it.

Either way, you have to retake it, so which do you want,

Withdraw that became an A or B?
C that became an A or B?

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to consider several factors.

1. Will you get a W on ur transcript or not?
2. Do you excessive amts of W on ur record
3. Do u have time to repeat this class prior to admission?
4. Can you raise it to a B with more work
5. What is ur current GPA?

try to find a buddy who is also taking ur class.
don'tworry too much since it's an non science class

I withdrew from Microeconomics, but I had already met the economics requirement. I wouldn't be afraid to take a W, as long as you can retake within the pre-req time frame, and you'll do better next time.

How would it look to withdraw from the university altogether for a semester?

That may be the case for me...

I know you guys are gonna laugh but i wasnt serious about bio for the beginning of the semester so im in the same situation, on track for a C. Definitely take the W right? I know i can get an A if i retake it.

if i was the adcom...i want a well-rounded student... who knows what failure is as well as success.............it's not all about the grade that is!.....a report card with a 'diverse' letter haha

How would it look to withdraw from the university altogether for a semester?

That may be the case for me...

If you have an extremely good reason it may not hurt you. I withdrew in the middle of a semester when I was 19 and took about two years off. Best decision I could have ever made because that semester would have tanked my GPA beyond repair. When I returned to school I made sure I had my life in order and busted my ass knowing I had to prove that what happened in the past was just a fluke.

honestly i would take the C. i was accepted to Mercer with several Cs and C+'s in my prereqs and these were in my science classes. a C in macroeconomics is not going to kill you. you said yourself that you currently have a 3.7 gpa and this is your first C. i would just work hard to do better in your other prereqs and maybe even try to pull the grade up in your macroeconomics class. to me it would be foolish to waste time taking it over, especially when you said the class is hard for you to begin with.

I am in the same boat but with a different pre-req. I have a 3.73 GPA and getting a C on a test is like :eek::eek::eek: for me, but I have gotten a 79% and an 80% on the first two tests in this class. It is causing me a lot of stress. I work very, very hard for my grades so this is upsetting to me. Getting A's on the next two tests will save my grade, but I am not sure if that will happen. I turned in both tests so far feeling that I got A's on them, so the grades I got were a bit shocking!

I spent a lot of time debating whether I should go for the WD or the lower grade. I like to be prepared for the future and I am worried that if I do poorly in the "earlier" (read: "easier") pre-reqs that I am not giving myself a cushion for the harder classes to come.

In your case if you are that far along with your pre-reqs it is more likely that this will be your only C. In my case I have a lot of difficult classes ahead of me so I am determined to keep my GPA as high as possible.

FTR, my final decision was to stick with the class and work my butt off to get higher grades on the next two tests. I am seeing a tutor every night this week to prep for the test coming up and almost doubling my study time. It's hard seeing how I also work full time and have a 1 year old, but I just can't stomach the idea of giving up, takign the WD, and never knowing if I could have pulled that grade up.