Sibling Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MattTheMedic

MattTheMedic
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Second time poster, long time lurker... before i ask, thanks SDN for a lot of useful information. My sister and I are planning to go to medical school together, should I keep this information low key or is it acceptable to let adcom know? We have seperate last names due to her marriage so it would be possible to hide.

Members don't see this ad.

Second time poster, long time lurker... before i ask, thanks SDN for a lot of useful information. My sister and I are planning to go to medical school together, should I keep this information low key or is it acceptable to let adcom know? We have seperate last names due to her marriage so it would be possible to hide.
I would think that mentioning it would make you seem less mature if you're applying for the same school. If I was an adcom it would make me feel like you two are a duo and you couldn't do the work without each other. Just my 2c.

I wouldn't mention it in your application. If it turns out one was waitlisted for a school the other gets accepted to, then maybe bringing it up in a letter of intent wouldn't be a bad idea as adcoms like to accept people they know will matriculate, but for now, I would keep it to yourself

If you find that going to the same school is of big importance, I would bring it up to the Dean of Admissions specifically. Don't say something crazy like "accept both of us or else!" Be polite. Explain what a wonderful relationship you two have, you both study more effectively together, blah, blah, whatever. The Dean of Admissions is a person just like anyone else. They understand that family is important and having family support nearby is an even bigger plus.

Play it right and you could help your odds.