SICK and TIRED of going to lecture just to type!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmlyDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Waste of my time when I have to go to class to fill in the notes the professor posted. They'll just post some drugs in a table and leave blank spaces we have to fill in. I am not learning a damn thing in the 1 hr 15 min I'm in class. And the faculty wonder why I'm in a grumpy mood.

I was already hazed pledging a fraternity in undergrad, and frankly I'd rather be doing pushups having someone yell at me then have to go to some of these lectures!

Members don't see this ad.

OKAY thanks for TELLING us!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Quite frankly pharmacy school is a waste of time!

Jobs are few and schools are plenty!

Members don't see this ad :)
Waste of my time when I have to go to class to fill in the notes the professor posted. They'll just post some drugs in a table and leave blank spaces we have to fill in. I am not learning a damn thing in the 1 hr 15 min I'm in class. And the faculty wonder why I'm in a grumpy mood.

I was already hazed pledging a fraternity in undergrad, and frankly I'd rather be doing pushups having someone yell at me then have to go to some of these lectures!

Skip class and get a job.

Lol they are teaching you stuff youwon't be using

Don't go to lecture. Borrow someone's notes to fill in the blanks. Enjoy your freedom.

...and knock it off with the gratuitous caps and exclamation points.

What a stupid gimmick to get people to go to class, that's desperation right there.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Work more hours then. School is overrated.
I mean, pharmacy school has a lot of stupid padding these days, but at least show up to the important classes.

The teacher at WVU who taught the OTC class was like that and I never went to her class. Guess who I drew for rotations later on. I was brave and stupid enough to rock the boat. Keep your head down and jump through their hoops. It will be over very soon, you'll have a nice paycheck, and you'll look back and laugh about how stupid school is.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't gone to my therapy and cology class all semester. The power points are posted online and the lectures are recorded. Not sure why a decent amount of students even go to class. I guess they like hanging out with each other. I have kids I'm never at school unless its absolutely necessary.

I also didn't go to class, only when it was my turn to take notes and distribute the study guide for that lecture. I used that time to work, mostly for spending money (I did learn more practical stuff on the job).

I did luck out at my community rotation, the preceptor let me leave early every day so I could go work, since outpatient wasn't really going to be my thing.

So I hate it when I see students complain about these note gimmicks or "mandatory attendance" classes (with uniforms/dress codes? ugh). I did go to class from time to time (especially if there was a practical lab/other stuff I had to do on campus).

Forcing attendance doesn't make for better pharmacists, good schools will trust their students to make the right decisions about what fits them and will provide the tools to do it, instead of hindering them.

sounds like your school is bad. We had advance printouts word for word of the material for each course. Class was totally optional- I only attended therapeutics and labs for the most part.

I think some professors think its job security, they are afraid if students can learn on their own, then maybe they won't be needed to work as a professor.

I think some professors think its job security, they are afraid if students can learn on their own, then maybe they won't be needed to work as a professor.
I can see that. But I have a friend that goes to unc and he said for most classes attendance isn't required, and unc is ranked #1 in the country.

It's gotten to a point where I'm too tired to do anything after sitting in class all day. I'm tired of playing "the game". My father is a pharmacist who went to the university of Pittsburgh, and he said he never had to fill in notes, and he also said that I'm being more babied than he was, and that I'm getting an "athletic diploma"

I get the point, but suck it the hell up... quit whining about taking notes. Do what you have to do to graduate, and get on with your life.

If you can skip class and make A's on exams (with or without the lecture's notes), skip class and ace the course. It's not a difficult choice.

What kind of people are pharmacy schools accepting nowadays? Don't you have friends so you can copy their notes?

Complaining about filling in the blank? Seriously?! This is just training. Just wait until you become a pharmacist. You will need to do a lot of stupid crap.

Reactions: 1 users

I agree 100%. There is a difference between these so called clinical professors in pharmacy school vs. the actual professors in undergraduate university and even other graduate schools. The actual professors in undergraduate university are there to perform research and can careless if the students learn on their own. Posting the lecture powerpoints and recordings online made life easier for both the students and professors. When I went to pharmacy school, the only instructors that agreed to this policy were those from the basic sciences: pharmacology, medicinal chemistry and biochemistry taught by the faculty at the medical school and biochemistry department. Once we reached our courses in therapeutics and patient care assessment, these so called clinical pharmacy professors with a million initials and worthless certifications refused to post recordings, took attendance, and mandated we come into our classes in professional clothing. What a joke. These are the same professors with years of residency that couldn't either handle retail or hospital workflow. They need students to inflate their ego while acting like the boss. These same people would not make it in the real world. The way these clinical professors taught their classes were incredibly disorganized and inefficient which included reading off the screen for several hours a day.

I agree 100%. There is a difference between these so called clinical professors in pharmacy school vs. the actual professors in undergraduate university and even other graduate schools. The actual professors in undergraduate university are there to perform research and can careless if the students learn on their own. Posting the lecture powerpoints and recordings online made life easier for both the students and professors. When I went to pharmacy school, the only instructors that agreed to this policy were those from the basic sciences: pharmacology, medicinal chemistry and biochemistry taught by the faculty at the medical school and biochemistry department. Once we reached our courses in therapeutics and patient care assessment, these so called clinical pharmacy professors with a million initials and worthless certifications refused to post recordings, took attendance, and mandated we come into our classes in professional clothing. What a joke. These are the same professors with years of residency that couldn't either handle retail or hospital workflow. They need students to inflate their ego while acting like the boss. These same people would not make it in the real world. The way these clinical professors taught their classes were incredibly disorganized and inefficient which included reading off the screen for several hours a day.

I never take attendance, don't care about dress code, and I play classic rock before my lectures :::shrug:::

I think the only oddball thing I do is wander around the room (yay wireless mic) and man, these kids are quick minimizing their Facebook/SDN browser windows, hahaha.

I hated this too. We had only one guest lecturer who did this, and her notes were just skeletons with 50% of the pages being a empty lines. When somebody asked her if she could post the same presentation with the notes filled in so we could just listen to her, she went berserk and said "I know this is how to learn because I used to take notes; if it worked for me, it will work for you."

You're paying $10,000 a quarter for incomplete information. It's so stupid they would treat PROFESSIONAL students like this. Honestly the only thing you can do is complain in the instructor evaluations, which in this day and age of metrics is something that hopefully her superior or keeping an eye on.

I never take attendance, don't care about dress code, and I play classic rock before my lectures :::shrug:::

I think the only oddball thing I do is wander around the room (yay wireless mic) and man, these kids are quick minimizing their Facebook/SDN browser windows, hahaha.

I wish you were a teacher at my alma mater. All my therapeutics instructors were know-it-alls. Some of their egos, I swear, were a whole lot bigger than the medical school faculty teaching biochemistry.