Sick of arrogant SDNers....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Corpsman Up

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I absolutely love this forum, I think there are a lot of people out there with a wealth of information that is very helpful...but, I am so sick of reading a post and then seeing 4 or 5 people (usually the same ones) reply "umm, why dont you try using the search function"...or "troll thread"

Seriously, not everyone has the time to search through countless posts and try to piece together the information. I dont see the point of opening up a thread just so you can reply "search function"...you really have that much free time? I guess it gives you a sense of pride to be a regular SDNer with a couple thousand posts, but do me a favor; if you dont want to respond to someones post with relevant information; dont open it

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
happens on all boards. regulars inevitably get tired of seeing the same thread over and over.

For me it depends. Sometimes a certain category of question must be taken on a case-by-case basis, but some others are facts that people are too lazy to search. "Not everyone has the time to search."

Well, not everyone has time to respond adequately to questions that have been answered in length elsewhere. This would be stuff like

"What do I put in the activities section of AMCAS? A paragraph or bullet points?"

"Do I need LORs before getting verified?"

These things are explicitly answered and not "case-by-case". Things like "I'm not sure if I should apply for FAP. Here is my situation:" are definitely acceptable and bear repeat posts because it IS case-by-case.

In short, I understand some of the "search function" referencing, but I also understand the need for re-posts that necessarily have a case-by-case factor.

You know, if you had tried using the SEARCH FUNCTION, you would have seen every thread like this winds up with people mocking it.

:D

I absolutely love this forum, I think there are a lot of people out there with a wealth of information that is very helpful...but, I am so sick of reading a post and then seeing 4 or 5 people (usually the same ones) reply "umm, why dont you try using the search function"...or "troll thread"

Seriously, not everyone has the time to search through countless posts and try to piece together the information. I dont see the point of opening up a thread just so you can reply "search function"...you really have that much free time? I guess it gives you a sense of pride to be a regular SDNer with a couple thousand posts, but do me a favor; if you dont want to respond to someones post with relevant information; dont open it

So...you're saying you don't have the time to go investigate a question for yourself before asking but the rest of us should have the time to do it for you?! Seriously? :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

Too many people post the same questions again and again without having done a minimal amount of personal research.

"CC vs Uni" "I got a B, OH NOS" pop up every day!

That you don't get it means you haven't been on here very long. The SAME questions get asked multiple times per year by many people. Which is fine, but when the same question is asked a mere week or two after folks responded in a lengthy and detailed thread, it gets annoying. You will be annoyed if you stay on here a couple of weeks. Think of it as explaining something to a person, and have another person come over to you two minutes later and ask you to explain the same thing. And then another. And then another. All the while your prior explanation is sitting just feet away on videotape but folks would rather ask the question again instead of actually finding the tape and listening. It makes total sense that you would get short in such a situation, and say -- go find the tape. That's what happens when folks say "go use the search button". It means you are that xth person in a very long line of people asking the same question while the answer is extensively explained and within your reach. The answer is not to have the explainers not open threads, the answer is for the newbies to at least show some effort in finding the answer themselves before asking the same question that has been asked again and again and again. Such is life on a help board such as this. that's the way it works. We help those who help themselves. We get annoyed when someone would rather ask a question that has been answered than actually take a minute to see that the answer is already there.

SDN is cyclical. The same questions get asked over and over and over again. Which is fine but for folks who are on here for any length of time there's a fine line between wanting to help and wanting to grab someone by the collar and shake them to wake up and actually use the board as a resource. That's why old posts are archived and stay on here forever. SDN isn't wiped clean each day. It has literally thousands of threads, many with very useful information, often with exactly the information you wanted explained in such great detail that you are wasting your time elsewhere. All you have to do is pan for that gold.

Members don't see this ad :)
That you don't get it means you haven't been on here very long. The SAME questions get asked multiple times per year by many people. Which is fine, but when the same question is asked a mere week or two after folks responded in a lengthy and detailed thread, it gets annoying. You will be annoyed if you stay on here a couple of weeks. Think of it as explaining something to a person, and have another person come over to you two minutes later and ask you to explain the same thing. And then another. And then another. All the while your prior explanation is sitting just feet away on videotape but folks would rather ask the question again instead of actually finding the tape and listening. It makes total sense that you would get short in such a situation, and say -- go find the tape. That's what happens when folks say "go use the search button". It means you are that xth person in a very long line of people asking the same question while the answer is extensively explained and within your reach. The answer is not to have the explainers not open threads, the answer is for the newbies to at least show some effort in finding the answer themselves before asking the same question that has been asked again and again and again. Such is life on a help board such as this. that's the way it works. We help those who help themselves. We get annoyed when someone would rather ask a question that has been answered than actually take a minute to see that the answer is already there.

SDN is cyclical. The same questions get asked over and over and over again. Which is fine but for folks who are on here for any length of time there's a fine line between wanting to help and wanting to grab someone by the collar and shake them to wake up and actually use the board as a resource. That's why old posts are archived and stay on here forever. SDN isn't wiped clean each day. It has literally thousands of threads, many with very useful information, often with exactly the information you wanted explained in such great detail that you are wasting your time elsewhere. All you have to do is pan for that gold.
Hmm, but that sounds like actual work, Law2Doc. :eek:

So...you're saying you don't have the time to go investigate a question for yourself before asking but the rest of us should have the time to do it for you?! Seriously? :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

Did I ask anyone to go searching through threads? Go back, read the post, and try again.

It is much easier for someone who has been in a similiar situation to yours to write a prargraph sharing their experiences, than it is for anyone to search every thread that has the word "finanacial" or whatever in it.

And..if you dont have the time to answer something....then dont answer it

-

Last edited:

Ive been reading these threads since 2007, just recently started posting. I know a lot of the same simple yes/no questions get repeatedly asked. But people are getting a little stupid with these replys. Ive read countless threads about someone giving a lengthy explanation of their situation, only to be told to use the search function because someone had a circumstance that vaguely resembled theirs

Did I ask anyone to go searching through threads? Go back, read the post, and try again.

It is much easier for someone who has been in a similiar situation to yours to write a prargraph sharing their experiences, than it is for anyone to search every thread that has the word "finanacial" or whatever in it.

I read it. The fact is that to give a good answer often requires checking data a bit. Simply giving one's opinion is useless. I would much prefer to give you or any other member a well-researched answer but neither I nor anyone else who goes through the effort to give good responses that are more than just conjecture is going to be able to do many such answers at a time. As a result, you will get better results by doing a search. Doing your own search instead of asking questions will give you a much better, faster, and better developed answer every time. Pretty much guaranteed. This was also part of why the school selection spreadsheet was created and enhanced so much. The last few versions released were probably about as good as the average SDN member (maybe better) at giving hints on where to apply. Once again, you will often get better results by searching and using already-existing resources than you would by requesting individual help.

It is much easier for someone who has been in a similiar situation to yours to write a prargraph sharing their experiences, than it is for anyone to search every thread that ...QUOTE]

Um no, it's not. And it's not just you asking the repeat question, so you are basically saying the board collective has to write a paragraph for every dude who is just as lazy as you or we are all jerks. Learn how to use this board. Don't come onto the board and whine that it doesn't work the way you want it to. You are not the most important person here, your time is not the most important, your question isn't even unique. The search function was set up for questions exactly like yours -- the ones we already adequately answered a dozen time before. You need to get better at this. The people who get the most out of this board are the ones who know how to use the functions, and aren't so lazy that they'd rather ask the question than spend 5 minutes finding the answer. If your search comes up with too many hits, refine it. It's a skill, I know, but if you hope to go far in your career you probably have the ability to master a search function.

I read it. The fact is that to give a good answer often requires checking data a bit. Simply giving one's opinion is useless. I would much prefer to give you or any other member a well-researched answer but neither I nor anyone else who goes through the effort to give good responses that are more than just conjecture is going to be able to do many such answers at a time. As a result, you will get better results by doing a search. Doing your own search instead of asking questions will give you a much better, faster, and better developed answer every time. Pretty much guaranteed.

Thats where we differ. I would rather give someone my advice using my personal experience rather than a google search if possible, and I would like the same in return. I really dont need to hear anything from others than I can find for myself.

The search function takes seconds and if your question is one that gets asked repeatedly, you'll have no trouble finding a thread that answers your question. If your question is not one that gets asked repeatedly, you won't see a list of similar threads when you use the search tool and thus you can start a new thread without the fear of it being flamed for having asked something you could have easily found with the search tool. Bottom line is, use the search function before starting a thread and you won't have to worry about people crying when you start a new topic that has been discussed ad nauseum. You'll see the same type of mentality on ANY forum, not just SDN.

Thats where we differ. I would rather give someone my advice using my personal experience rather than a google search if possible, and I would like the same in return. I really dont need to hear anything from others than I can find for myself.

The only threads you'll hear people whine about are the ones that get started over and over. Those threads generally have very little one can add in terms of unique experience that is going to provide any benefit to anyone.

It is much easier for someone who has been in a similiar situation to yours to write a prargraph sharing their experiences, than it is for anyone to search every thread that ...QUOTE]

Um no, it's not. And it's not just you asking the repeat question, so you are basically saying the board collective has to write a paragraph for every dude who is just as lazy as you or we are all jerks. Learn how to use this board. Don't come onto the board and whine that it doesn't work the way you want it to. You are not the most important person here, your time is not the most important, your question isn't even unique. The search function was set up for questions exactly like yours -- the ones we already adequately answered a dozen time before. You need to get better at this. The people who get the most out of this board are the ones who know how to use the functions, and aren't so lazy that they'd rather ask the question than spend 5 minutes finding the answer. If your search comes up with too many hits, refine it. It's a skill, I know, but if you hope to go far in your career you probably have the ability to master a search function.

Um yeah, it is..

For the most part, I can use the search function pretty well thanks. Im talking about when Im reading a post that seems very legit, and every other response is "troll"...whats the point? How many of your 21,000 posts have been telling someone to not be a troll, etc?

... You'll see the same type of mentality on ANY forum, not just SDN.

Agreed. This is how help boards work across the net. That you don't like it or would prefer a different kind of response is too self-centered. You have to work within the medium, not expect the medium to change it's approach because it's you who asked the question.

-

Last edited:
This is a discussion forum, not merely a question and answer board. Some people would like to actually hear an opinion/start a discussion...but apparently if a similiar discussion topic has been posted in the last 5yrs then everyones repsonses/opinions are exactly the same and you should just use the search function....my mistake

Um yeah, it is..

For the most part, I can use the search function pretty well thanks. Im talking about when Im reading a post that seems very legit, and every other response is "troll"...whats the point? How many of your 21,000 posts have been telling someone to not be a troll, etc?

There are a lot of troll threads on SDN.

Again you are focusing on your own opinion of what "seems very legit" and not that of the board. You are but one person in a very large community here. You either play by the rules, which includes a perusal of the search function either before you post or at least when folks key you in that something has been adequately answered before, or you find someplace on the web that bends to your whims. You don't jump on here and whine -- you all should behave accordingly and respond with a paragraph because that's easier than making me do a couple of minutes of searching. Please.

This is a discussion forum, not merely a question and answer board. Some people would like to actually hear an opinion/start a discussion...but apparently if a similiar discussion topic has been posted in the last 5yrs then everyones repsonses/opinions are exactly the same and you should just use the search function....my mistake

Once in the last 5 years would be great. 40 times in the last 5 weeks, not so great. That's when you hear the "use the search button" chimes.

You basically sunk yourself when you started a thread calling folks "ignorant" when you seem to be the only one ignorant of how this process works. Mellow out. Learn to use the search function, and come back into the fold. Or find yourself a board that works the way you'd like it to.

If you want to discuss something that has already been discussed 30 million times, just find a few threads of the same topic and read the posts and you'll get all the personal experience and opinions you need. After reading 10 or so of those threads, I doubt you'll really want to waste your time starting another identical thread anyway.

Of all the aspects of a typical SDN pre-med that you could hammer into the ground (successfully), you chose one that's actually beneficial to the forum, overall? Nice judgment.

Of all the aspects of a typical SDN pre-med that you could hammer into the ground (successfully), you chose one that's actually beneficial to the forum, overall? Nice judgment.

I know, seriously. When I read the topic of this thread I thought it would be another discussion of how annoying it is when pre-meds come on SDN and cry about their 43 MCAT and 3.99998 GPA not being competitive enough.

I know, seriously. When I read the topic of this thread I thought it would be another discussion of how annoying it is when pre-meds come on SDN and cry about their 43 MCAT and 3.99998 GPA not being competitive enough.

Oh man, thanks for reminding me! I knew there was something I wanted to post about... :smuggrin:

So for the 4 or 5 posters who are so upsetting to you, block them.

You will never see their posts again.

Problem solved.

normal_search-button-for-dummies.jpg

Is that why youve been around for 3 years but only have 50 posts?

Now those posters are arrogant and annoying, let's see if I can fill out the template right:

"I have a 4.0/42S, I'm a big brother for at-risk youth, I played Division IA football, I started a non-profit to aid (insert underprivileged group), my original screenplay was just optioned to be made into a major motion picture, I'm second author on three papers, and I did it as a single parent from the age of 17. What are my chances at (insert USN&WR highly ranked research-focused school here)??"

this type of thread comes up every week.

Now those posters are arrogant and annoying, let's see if I can fill out the template right:

"I have a 4.0/42S, I'm a big brother for at-risk youth, I played Division IA football, I started a non-profit to aid (insert underprivileged group), my original screenplay was just optioned to be made into a major motion picture, I'm second author on three papers, and I did it as a single parent from the age of 17. What are my chances at (insert USN&WR highly ranked research-focused school here)??"

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Don't forget that they also started college early and are finishing in three years at the age of 19...

I have to agree with Corpsman, I sometimes feel hesitant taking advice from anyone with over 2,000 posts...who has the time to post that much on here? and how many of those posts were...."troll" or "use search" or "this has been answered repeatedly"...why even waste time posting?

OPs getting pissed at thousands of people he'll never meet on an online forum? Really man? Maybe you should take your own advice and not comment when you think people are being dicks??

OPs getting pissed at thousands of people he'll never meet on an online forum? Really man? Maybe you should take your own advice and not comment when you think people are being dicks??

Ha ha...good one.

OP isn't just commenting, he started a freaking thread to proclaim his disgust...

Block posters you don't want to hear from. Problem solved.

Better yet: take the good, leave the bad, and grow a little thicker skin.

I have to agree with Corpsman, I sometimes feel hesitant taking advice from anyone with over 2,000 posts...who has the time to post that much on here? and how many of those posts were...."troll" or "use search" or "this has been answered repeatedly"...why even waste time posting?

Law2Doc gives good advice. Some of the 2014ers that have racked up 5k+ posts in the Class of 2014 thread, maybe not so much.

Y'all know who you are :p

Law2Doc gives good advice. Some of the 2014ers that have racked up 5k+ posts in the Class of 2014 thread, maybe not so much.

Y'all know who you are :p

Whoa. My new picture thingy just confused me...forgot I changed it. Wish I could get the animation to work...the robot is supposed to shoot lasers from his eyes.

I can see why people say use the "search function." But on the other hand if it was a repeated thread I wouldn't mind answering it. It's fresh, someone may have a new opinion/take. Everyone learns in the end and can't be that much of a waste of time.

I agree with the OP...if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all then.

I actually relate to where OP is coming from. When I first came on SDN a couple years ago I knew nothing and got hammered for it, told how I would never make it, etc etc. I stuck it out and have gotten countless pieces of helpful advice from SDN, but Flip is right about needing to have a thick skin.

I can see telling people with the obviously non-searched questions to please use the search function. But we could all do a better job at being nice to people (especially new people) and helping create a collegial, rather than cut-throat, culture. Anonymity is no excuse for rudeness.