Sick of arrogant SDNers....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In my experience, using the search function leads to mostly irrelevant and out-of-date information.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
And often it takes just as much time to post a link or copy and paste an old answer as it does to point out how lazy someone is for not searching. I appreciate how SN2d does this for the ubiquitous "what are the best MCAT study materials?" question. :thumbup:

The idea is that for every "go look for it" post, there are a bunch of people who actually heed that advice and never toss up their own threads. Given the fairly small amount of those posts relative to the user base we have, I'd say that strategy works pretty well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously, not everyone has the time to search through countless posts and try to piece together the information. I dont see the point of opening up a thread just so you can reply "search function"...you really have that much free time? I guess it gives you a sense of pride to be a regular SDNer with a couple thousand posts, but do me a favor; if you dont want to respond to someones post with relevant information; dont open it

The people answering your questions are giving their own time to help you. They do this voluntarily, but would probably rather not waste it. If the question has been answered before, it doesn't necessarily need to be answered again.

Think of it as your price for getting your question answered; in order to post a new thread, you have to do a little work digging around a bit. If you find your answer: great, your work has paid off. If you don't: post a new thread, someone responds, and now your work has paid off.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!??! people on SDN are jerks?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN? how have i missed this? i thought everyone here was really, really nice and all their posts were heartfelt. I thought everyone here was trying to help each other. Man, you really ruined my day, OP.

edit: there is a reason some people don't ever start new threads. it's like holding up a sign that says, "you can pretty much berate me all you want, i'm naked in the middle of a baseball stadium out here"

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!??! people on SDN are jerks?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN? how have i missed this? i thought everyone here was really, really nice and all their posts were heartfelt. I thought everyone here was trying to help each other. Man, you really ruined my day, OP.
:laugh: double entendre win

:thumbup:

Me too. I am shocked. SHOCKED.

Being told to use the search button is really nothing to get your panties in a bunch about. People online can be abrasive, but these should not be counted as such incidents.

if you dont want to respond to someones post with relevant information; dont open it

I agree with the OP...if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all then.

I'd actually rather have someone tell me a question has been answered many times before than to have nobody respond.

Maybe it's HOW SDNers are referencing the search function.

The norm: "Use the search function. :rolleyes:"

The new: "Kind sir/mademoiselle, would you be as so kind as to direct your attention to the search function and utilize it to its fullest in order to satisfy your query."

eh?

Maybe it's HOW SDNers are referencing the search function.

The norm: "Use the search function. :rolleyes:"

The new: "Kind sir/mademoiselle, would you be as so kind as to direct your attention to the search function and utilize it to its fullest in order to satisfy your query. Please."

eh?

Fixed it.

If trolling is redundancy...

Then no patient complaining of a cough stands a chance with all the 1,000+ posters on this site who might become doctors.

1,000+ poster, "What, you have a cough? Get out of my office. I've treated enough coughs."

If trolling is redundancy...

Then no patient complaining of a cough stands a chance with all the 1,000+ posters on this site who might become doctors.

1,000+ poster, "What, you have a cough? Get out of my office. I've treated enough coughs."

"why didn't you use webmd symptom checker to diagnose bronchitus? SERIOUSLY GUYS. i've got REAL work to do. wasting my time."

Members don't see this ad :)
The "you'll be a bad doctor" card has officially been played.

I think its a necessary part of the SDN survival training course. Akin to hazing.

If you can take the heat, stick it out and learn the ropes, you too can enjoy the pleasure of one day referring newbees to the search function with a smug grin on your face.

I actually relate to where OP is coming from. When I first came on SDN a couple years ago I knew nothing and got hammered for it, told how I would never make it, etc etc. I stuck it out and have gotten countless pieces of helpful advice from SDN, but Flip is right about needing to have a thick skin.

I can see telling people with the obviously non-searched questions to please use the search function. But we could all do a better job at being nice to people (especially new people) and helping create a collegial, rather than cut-throat, culture. Anonymity is no excuse for rudeness.

It's the best and only reason!!

:laugh: This is a really funny thread, seriously.

In my experience, using the search function leads to mostly irrelevant and out-of-date information.

I used to think that, but if you refine the search it usually does good.

There are some really wonderful people here and some of them have answered my questions and I appreciate them.

But there are some that I wonder how they can not get tossed out of the hospital because they are so abrasive. I came here expecting professionals and some are but some not so much.

I would love to know what the age distribution is because quite a number of members remind me of my son when he was a defiant teen. Fortunately after I implemented tough love he has become more respectful. How many of the people here are college students that have just been turned loose in the world?

Not saying ALL the college age are annoying because I do indeed like some. Then again there is one person who purportedly is older and more experienced and she is not my best buddy that is for sure.

I am new here. Is this how it has always been here with a mix between the maturity levels?

There are some really wonderful people here and some of them have answered my questions and I appreciate them.

But there are some that I wonder how they can not get tossed out of the hospital because they are so abrasive. I came here expecting professionals and some are but some not so much.

I would love to know what the age distribution is because quite a number of members remind me of my son when he was a defiant teen. Fortunately after I implemented tough love he has become more respectful. How many of the people here are college students that have just been turned loose in the world?

Not saying ALL the college age are annoying because I do indeed like some. Then again there is one person who purportedly is older and more experienced and she is not my best buddy that is for sure.

I am new here. Is this how it has always been here with a mix between the maturity levels?

It is because it is the internet. I am willing to bet that 95% of the abrasive people on here would never say a thing in real life. If it makes them feel big to be a tough guy (or gal) on the internet that is fine by me. At the end of the day, if one says something on here that they would not say in real life they are...well..I feel bad for them. I just leave it at that and ignore them (although I admit it took me a while to figure out that that was the best way to deal with them).

The idea is that for every "go look for it" post, there are a bunch of people who actually heed that advice and never toss up their own threads. Given the fairly small amount of those posts relative to the user base we have, I'd say that strategy works pretty well.

Thank you!

I was about to say the same thing. I feel like not as many threads would be on SDN if the vicious cycle of people posting "go do a search." So all you "go-do-a-search"ers should think about it before you post your usual answer to all the different threads.

Ive read countless threads about someone giving a lengthy explanation of their situation, only to be told to use the search function because someone had a circumstance that vaguely resembled theirs
No, you haven't.

Usually, the entire thread gets rehashed, and occasionally someone points out that this topic has been beaten to death repeatedly.

No, you haven't.

Usually, the entire thread gets rehashed, and occasionally someone points out that this topic has been beaten to death repeatedly.

kinda like this one...

Thank you!

I was about to say the same thing. I feel like not as many threads would be on SDN if the vicious cycle of people posting "go do a search." So all you "go-do-a-search"ers should think about it before you post your usual answer to all the different threads.
i think you missed the point of that.

also, "go do a search" really only gets mentioned in a very specific set of threads

Thank you!

I don't think that he was objecting to people saying that... I think people should be more polite about it sometimes, but it really does get old to see the exact same question over and over again, when all the poster has to do is a simple search.

I feel like that was a pointless post on your part, TheProwler. Quite a few HELPFUL posts before you. In any matter, it bothers me when there are threads where the first five replies are "go do a search" because that first reply caused the domino-effect. Hence my thank you post.

I feel like that was a pointless post on your part, TheProwler. Quite a few HELPFUL posts before you. In any matter, it bothers me when there are threads where the first five replies are "go do a search" because that first reply caused the domino-effect. Hence my thank you post.

...if we started naming all the "pointless posts"....well, let's be real. people like me would have maybe 20 pointful posts.

It is because it is the internet. I am willing to bet that 95% of the abrasive people on here would never say a thing in real life. If it makes them feel big to be a tough guy (or gal) on the internet that is fine by me. At the end of the day, if one says something on here that they would not say in real life they are...well..I feel bad for them. I just leave it at that and ignore them (although I admit it took me a while to figure out that that was the best way to deal with them).

i agree, when i first started using sdn i thought people would be more polite and professional forum, but i soon realized that wasn't the case and there are mean/harsh -for-no-reason who should be "trolls" themselves kinda people and i was a bit disappointed. It wouldn't hurt to be more polite people, besides like a poster said: If you don't have anything nice to say then don't bother wasting your time and ours by posting. Thank you.

There are some really wonderful people here.

Have I ever told you how wonderful I am along with the life I live?

wonderful-life-movie-poster.jpg

lol one needs tough skin to survive the harshness that is sometimes rampant on SDN. However, there is no other site that even comes close in preparation for medical school and beyond. Gotta take the good with the bad I guess :)

By the way, if you guys think this forum is harsh and full of jerks, you should check out the top law schools forum. I was thinking about law school a while ago and that place is horrible. It makes people on here seem like angels.

Last edited:
ugh

lawyer forums

they are not all bad but I can only imagine...

suddenly I feel much better here

thank you

By the way, if you guys think this forum is harsh and full of jerks, you should check out the top law schools forum. I was thinking about law school a while ago and that place is horrible. It makes people on here seem like angles.
I attribute some of it to the mods. At that forum you're talking about (or at least the one I visited), it was the wild west and people got into all sorts of flame wars and it was absolutely... hilarious to see future lawyers tear into each other :smuggrin:

i agree, when i first started using sdn i thought people would be more polite and professional forum, but i soon realized that wasn't the case and there are mean/harsh -for-no-reason who should be "trolls" themselves kinda people and i was a bit disappointed. It wouldn't hurt to be more polite people, besides like a poster said: If you don't have anything nice to say then don't bother wasting your time and ours by posting. Thank you.

You actually don't agree with the OP based on your above post.
The OP started this thread to bash SDNers as a group (and does so in the title of the thread). He's certainly not following the "if you don't have anything nice to say" mantra. The dude was too lazy to look up a thread after someone pointed out to him brusquely that there already was a thread on topic he could find. He then starts this thread to whine about it, pretty much calling the SDN community a bunch of jerks. This is not the behavior of someone following the golden rule. There's a good reason this site has a search function, and why threads are not deleted periodically but instead archived for folks to use over time. It's not unreasonable for the community here to expect you to do some basic research before you ask a question for the millionth time.

By the way, if you guys think this forum is harsh and full of jerks, you should check out the top law schools forum. I was thinking about law school a while ago and that place is horrible. It makes people on here seem like angles.

Um, I go on there. I think SDN is much more confrontational than TLS, by a huge margin.

Really? Those were not my impressions...

Maybe it's because when I first frequented SDN, I posted a lot in the Lounge. Anyways, it's on SDN that I've came away more often with "Wow, what a douche!".

yeah, sometimes SDNers can be obtuse.

:laugh:

i had to. I HAD TO.

Maybe it's because when I first frequented SDN, I hung out in the Lounge. Anyways, it's on SDN that I've came away more often with "Wow, what a douche!".

Yea, the lounge is a whole different ballgame. Like someone else said, I don't even think they have mods on TLS, or if they do they are few, so when things get out of hand it gets bad.

yeah i was just gently poking fun at the misspelling of angels :D

He's referencing the other definition of obtuse. It's wordplay.

The one guy meant angels... but misspelled it an angles.

The other guy said "obtuse" to describe the "angles" which can also be a description of a person.

Ah. Ok, that was funny.

I mean, yea, I meant angles, to make a square, because people on here are square. Yes, that's it, I totally meant to do that.

Last edited:
This was a pointless post on your part.