sideroblastic vs lead poisoning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Step1Hash

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
could someone help explain to me the differences in Iron/TIBC/Ferritin in Lead Poisoning vs Sideroblastic anemia?

I would assume it is the SAME in both but FA characterizes the Ferritin in Lead poisoning to be not changed but in sideroblastic it says it's increased. It also says the TIBC is normal in sideroblastic whereas it is decreased in lead poisoning...wtf :confused:.

thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

could someone help explain to me the differences in Iron/TIBC/Ferritin in Lead Poisoning vs Sideroblastic anemia?

I would assume it is the SAME in both but FA characterizes the Ferritin in Lead poisoning to be not changed but in sideroblastic it says it's increased. It also says the TIBC is normal in sideroblastic whereas it is decreased in lead poisoning...wtf :confused:.

thanks in advance.

I hate to say this, but I think FA is wrong on this. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but lead poisoning is one possible cause OF sideroblastic anemia, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for their lab values to between the two. Also, according to Goljan, ferritin and TIBC should always vary inversely because the low ferritin levels serve as a stimulator for more transferrin so the iron stores may be replenished.

Therefore, as far as I know, in both lead poisioning & sideroblastic anemia- ferritin high TIBC low.

Again, I'm just learning this too so someone please speak up if what I've said is all wrong. And fast, my step one is soon! :D

I hate to say this, but I think FA is wrong on this. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but lead poisoning is one possible cause OF sideroblastic anemia, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for their lab values to between the two. Also, according to Goljan, ferritin and TIBC should always vary inversely because the low ferritin levels serve as a stimulator for more transferrin so the iron stores may be replenished.

Therefore, as far as I know, in both lead poisioning & sideroblastic anemia- ferritin high TIBC low.

Again, I'm just learning this too so someone please speak up if what I've said is all wrong. And fast, my step one is soon! :D

Yea that's what I assumed as well...and the only reason (or so I think) why lead poisoning would affect Iron/Ferriten/TIBC is because it can lead to a sideroblastic anemia. Hopefully you are correct.

I can easily see this being an up/down arrow question on the exam....

I'm not too sure about lab values, but I think it would be worthwhile to remember that sideroblastic anemia is caused by a defect in delta-ALA synthetase while lead poisoning affects deleta-ALA dehydratase/ferrochetalase.