Sidney Kimmel Medical College Waitlist 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which waitlist were you placed on?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DontSugarCoatIt

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, everybody. I know if you are anything like me, you are itching to know more about your chances of moving from the WL purgatory to the holy land of Acceptance and medical education. Feel free to put on your tinfoil hat and discuss any WL conspiracy theories you've heard. Hopefully, with this thread, we can get a better gauge of our chances of being in the SKMC class of 2025. Also, don't feel obligated to post your stats, but for full disclosure and transparency, mine are in the comments below.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
HPWL as well. Curious how many actually get placed on the regular waitlist

Members don't see this ad :)
HPWL as well. Curious how many actually get placed on the regular waitlist
One student on SDN stated that they have been on both in subsequent cycles. However, in my opinion, "High Priority" is mostly lip service to make us feel like we have a shot still.

Reactions: 2 users
Lol, I'm living for this thread because I think Jeff is really my only chance of getting accepted this cycle. HPWL, 511, cGPA 3.79, OOS, ORM. Anyone have any thoughts on receiving replies back on update letters? Does receiving a reply mean anything? I feel like Jeff has accepted a lot of people so idk how waitlist movement is going to be this year

Reactions: 1 users
I have sent update letters to Dr. Callahan with a short reply saying "thank you..." She's probably being nice. However, I would encourage letters of interest/intent/update. I have heard they like to be courted in that way. But I doubt the reply to that email means much.

I'd like to point out a pretty obvious selection bias for this poll. HPWL applicants have a much higher incentive to monitor these forums than AWL. This will skew our poll results to reflect a higher proportion of HPWL applicants.

Reactions: 4 users
Copying over my comment made in SKMC forum:

Was put on HPWL last Wednesday. Interviewed 12/16. Went through last years SDN SKMC forum, and after reading it, I'm pretty conflicted. It seems that if you get an II, post-II decisions are either accepted, HPWL (high priority WL) or alternate WL. I haven't read of anyone getting a post-II rejection, but only one of the two WLs. Furthermore, they take people from HPWL first and then from the alternate WL (which only a few people seemed to be pulled from, if at all).

I've read that anywhere from 30% to as high as 70% of ppl in the HPWL are pulled into the upcoming class. However, if you take a look at SKMC's MSAR, typical number of WL positions per cycle is ~370. Number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist: 40. That percentage is ~11%, clearly much lower than what people have posted in earlier forums. Couple of things about this: 1.) MSAR doesn't differentiate HPWL vs. alternate WL for total number of WL positions. One would think that high priority means that the HPWL group is 'significantly' smaller than the alternate WL group. However, from reading the past forums, have only seen 1-2 people (vs like 20-30) saying they got alternate WL rather than HPWL. 2.) Always take MSAR with a grain of salt, especially with statistics like these.

I'm a pragmatist so while these stats aren't entirely comforting, nevertheless, don't give up. I'm sure as hell not. Doing big things this year and will be diligent about keeping SKMC up-to-date. Planning on sending updates and/or letters of interest about every 1.5 months. If you have no value to offer them in these letters, don't send them. Instead, find something to wow them. You got time. No excuses. Going from last years forum, it seems that the earliest to be removed from HPWL is end of April/early May. In fact, some people noted that they got their acceptance end of June. Others just never heard back until SKMC noted that the class was full = silent rejection. So, for people in my position, it's now a waiting game and we gotta fight to get in, no other way around it. Best of luck, and sincerely rooting for everyone on here.

OOS, 520, 3.87, ORM, HPWL

Also wondering what percentage of waitlisted students are on the HPWL, based on the poll I'm guessing most of them haha

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS but have state ties
HPWL interviewed 12/9

Does anyone have any idea of how many people are on the HPWL? Do you think it's like.... 75? Or more like 100+?

According to this data published by the AAMC in 2020, SKMC offered 370 WL positions about 40 get off the WL. Granted this likely does not distinguish between HPWL and AWL. However, I don't think there is many AWL anyways. 370 is a lot of WL spots...

I have sent update letters to Dr. Callahan with a short reply saying "thank you..." She's probably being nice. However, I would encourage letters of interest/intent/update. I have heard they like to be courted in that way. But I doubt the reply to that email means much.
did you send the update through the portal or directly to her email? I couldn't find a submission page on the portal

Withdrawing my A here. Best of luck to all you WL'ers, I know I was obsessed with Jeff and hope my seat makes someone as excited as I was for the opportunity.

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
Withdrawing my A here. Best of luck to all you WL'ers, I know I was obsessed with Jeff and hope my seat makes someone as excited as I was for the opportunity.
Thank you, beautiful soul! Best of luck to all of us in the WL gang.

Last edited:
Anyone else hoping they get off the waitlist before they're done with classes so they don't have to send transcripts from this semester?

Any predictions for when we might see high priority waitlist movement here? Are we thinking end of next week?

Any predictions for when we might see high priority waitlist movement here? Are we thinking end of next week?
Nah. Movement will very likely happen after April 30th, when lots of accepted applicants need to make some decisions. So I expect movement (at the very, very earliest) starting on May 3rd.

This thread and the main SKMC thread seem unusually quiet:unsure:

How's everybody doing? I personally am slowly dying on the inside.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
I think movement is still to come... they could be waiting for all the dust to settle considering the increased waitlist movement of this crazy cycle

I really wish I could contribute more to this thread but I’m speechless with how this cycle has shaken out 🥲

wishing you all the best of luck!! ❤️

• Care
hi everyone

i’m being my neurotic self and have been combing through the 2019-2020 SDN forum. some notes:
- basically last year there were no reports on the forum of A off the WL in the first 3 weeks after april 30.
- someone called dr. callahan and she said that the WL movement had not happened yet bc of their later CTE deadline/covid
- email copy and pasted from the forum from Dr. C: “Even though applicants were supposed to give up all but one accept on April 30, they did not have to commit to enroll with us, so we are still sitting on a lot of accepts, not knowing whether they are going to come or not. As a result, we have not yet gone to our waitlist and it is unclear when we will.”

just to make anyone who’s legit going crazy feel a little bit better? idk if this is good or bad news honestly. but hopefully there’s still hope :)

edit: skmc CTE deadline this year is june 25, 2021

Reactions: 5 users
hi everyone

i’m being my neurotic self and have been combing through the 2019-2020 SDN forum. some notes:
- basically last year there were no reports on the forum of A off the WL in the first 3 weeks after april 30.
- someone called dr. callahan and she said that the WL movement had not happened yet bc of their later CTE deadline/covid
- email copy and pasted from the forum from Dr. C: “Even though applicants were supposed to give up all but one accept on April 30, they did not have to commit to enroll with us, so we are still sitting on a lot of accepts, not knowing whether they are going to come or not. As a result, we have not yet gone to our waitlist and it is unclear when we will.”

just to make anyone who’s legit going crazy feel a little bit better? idk if this is good or bad news honestly. but hopefully there’s still hope :)

edit: skmc CTE deadline this year is june 25, 2021
I think this is already good news because someone reported getting of the WL on Monday! That makes me think they already burned through their acceptances so any other withdraws from people with As will result in pulling from the waitlist 😀

I have tried so hard to stay patient and hopeful but today feels really hard :( hoping for some good news for all of us in the coming days

• Care
I’m very concerned about the minimal waitlist movement.....usually the biggest movement happens around april 30. Do people think this is just a delay in waitlist movement or this cycle we will see minimal waitlist movement overall?