Sigma Sigma Phi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docflanny

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This message is to any current members of Sigma Sigma Phi:

I am a recent member of MSUCOM's Sigma Sigma Phi chapter. I was curious of what other osteopathic schools thought of their SSP chapters? Are they quite prestigious, difficult to be accepted, difficult to stay a member, etc? Also, is there any push at a national level to make each chapter more united i.e. share the same acceptance/membership criteria?

Thank you for your comments in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I am the newly elected President of the Sigma Sigma Phi-Mu chapter at Western U/COMP. I'm still fairly new with the organization, but after reading annual reports from past Presidents and from different chapters, it is evidently clear that it is quite a prestigous organization. SSP, though an osteopathic honor's society, is mostly known for its philanthropy.

For our chapter, the selection process is based on assigned points for extra-curricular involvement. The minimum GPA is 3.0 so the selection criteria is mainly based towards community service and a personal essay. Candidate applications are assigned random numbers so that there is no bias during the selection process.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Arnold
WESTERN U/COMP CLASS OF 2004 http://www.do2004.com

Wow, you're "fairly new in the organization," yet you got elected to Presidency.... How'd you pull that off? Shouldn't there be more to being elected to that chapter?

Please don't take offense. I am very curious, though. Just wonderin'.... :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Popoy,

I am fairly new to the organization because first years are accepted midway during the 2nd semester. In order to even be a competitive applicant, an individual must have proven themselves to balance their academics and involvment both in the community as well as to the University itself. Only 12% of our class maximium is accepted during the first year.

If you are asking in particular as to what I have done or accomplished that qualifies me for this office, I have been very active in the promotion of the field of osteopathic medicine, the university, as well as unity within my own class. I have also received recognition both by the University and Sigma Sigma Phi for my work during the academic year. So, though I am still fairly "new" to Sigma Sigma Phi, I and the rest of my soon to be 2nd-year colleagues, along with those at the other SSP chapters, have demonstrated the criteria to be a part of this organization.

If you have any more questions, feel free to email me at [email protected]

Arnold
WESTERN U/COMP CLASS OF 2004 http://www.do2004.com

Cool.... Thanks for clarifying that up, Arnold.

I guess things are really going well for you... Congratulations!!!

aecuenca,

Thank you for your reply to my inquiry about Sigma Sigma Phi. How did your chapter decide on 12% of your class as the number of student accepted? Also, has there been much difficulty in having all your members being able to maintain a 3.0? (just curious)

Has there been much of a push on a national level to make Sigma Sigma Phi more unified? e.g. same standards for membership such as a 3.0 in all classes.

I would like to begin correspondence with the other chapters to ensure that Sigma Sigma Phi 1) is more unified with the standards for membership and 2) achieves better recognition by residency directors.

I'd appreciate any input you may have in regards to these ideas.

docflanny,

I am not exactly sure how our chapter decided on the 12%. I was looking at files dating back to the early 90's and that was what was set. I still have to read through the SSP constitution so perhaps it is in there. But from what I understand, it is 12% from the MSI's, 8% of MSII's, and lower % after that.

As far as maintaining the 3.0's, I believe it is generally not that bad, though after looking through a few records, it is clear that a few people through the years where not able to maintain the gpa. Every year the SSP president has to send a letter to the Dean of Student Affairs to confirm everyone's gpa.

as far as the unification, I am planning to contact the National Secretary, but I want to read through the Consitution first. If you want, you can email her any questions. Her name is Debbie Brimelow and you can email her at [email protected].

Hope this helps,

Arnold
WESTERN UNIVERSITY/COMP
CLASS OF 2004 http://www.do2004.com

aecuenca,
Thank you for your reply to my inquiry about Sigma Sigma Phi. How did your chapter decide on 12% of your class as the number of student accepted? Also, has there been much difficulty in having all your members being able to maintain a 3.0? (just curious)

Has there been much of a push on a national level to make Sigma Sigma Phi more unified? e.g. same standards for membership such as a 3.0 in all classes.

I would like to begin correspondence with the other chapters to ensure that Sigma Sigma Phi 1) is more unified with the standards for membership and 2) achieves better recognition by residency directors.

I'd appreciate any input you may have in regards to these ideas.

At KCOM I think that to be a member of SSP you have to have a 85% GPA or higher.

At DMU you need to be in the top 50% of the class and have a ton of service commitments. As for the 12%, I think it's because only 25% of a given class is allowed membership and they do a second drive in the fall (so 12% of first years at the end of their first year and 13ish% at the beginning of the second year).

Stuff we do on campus include a free migrant clinic which is in the process of being moved on campus, board review case presentations, specialty & residency forums, a cancer conference, physicals for kindergardeners, coffee house (2nd year show), and other stuff I can't remember now. We're pretty active, and worked hard this year on letting more people know who/what we're about.

Are there any schools that have a pass/fail system with Sigma Sigma Phi? If so, how do they handle their academic requirement for membership?

At MSUCOM we have a P/F system and we are currently, heatedly debating whether or not to institute a minimum pass percentage per class. Currently, it's we have a no fail requirement. If you fail a class you're out. If you've failed a class before you have applied for membership you're not considered.

Thank you for any input you may have into making our chapter stronger.