1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Significance of an Interview ?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by joedo, Nov 18, 2002.

1. joedo

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I've been offered interviews at PCOM, UNECOM, CCOM, and TUCOM.

I've already interviewd at LECOM and NYCOM.

The reason I ask this question is because of my NYCOM interview where the interviewers ripped my application apart (i'm expecting a thin envelope in a couple weeks).

I wonder, do schools interview people who aren't necessarily qualified?

My stats are borderline for admission, which is why i've been surprised at my interview offers.

However, my LECOM interview was very positive, and I got the feeling I would get in (i'll find out this week).

I guess I should be prepared to get a thrashing at my PCOM, CCOM, and UNECOM interviews..

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dogirl

dogirl Member
    7+ Year Member

From what I've heard most schools selectively (very) choose interviewees. (pcom = 5000+ apps probably this year and only 700 interviews) What this means is that they are hopefully looking at a number of different things (maturity, work experience, volunteer experience ) on your app and not just your numbers which could explain why you're getting interviews. Be confident and good luck!

4. H0mersimps0n

H0mersimps0n HMO CRUSHER
    10+ Year Member

Ahh I feel that pain... I just got back from my UNECOM thrashing...

I don't care what people tell you, be prepared to defend any and ALL holes in your UNECOM app. God that was a long 7hr drive home. I was ripped a new one and am expecting a laser thin letter from them wed or so...

Haven't heard from NYCOM, PCOM, NOVA or CCOM yet so can't say anything about that. My LECOM interview was awesome and I got in there...

I'm definitely expecting a hardcore thrashing from those other schools if I am priviledged to get an interview. Seems like my essay's, volunteer and EMT experiences are carrying me into the interview room...

I handled UNECOM best I could, it definitely could've gone worse but I felt like "why did they even bother with me if they don't like my stats this much?". I explain it exactly same way you did, guess I was just one of the few exceptions they pull in because our app has other good things about it, well that or at least for a good laugh in the meeting thereafter... oh well...

5. enveng1978

enveng1978 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Wow, they go after you that bad? I got a 6 in BS, I guess I should be expecting them to open up a can on me! I have interviews coming up in two weeks at COMP, Touro, and Nova.

6. MsDO15

MsDO15 Member
    7+ Year Member

JoeDo...I was just wondering what kind of things they were ripping you apart about....what kind of questions did they ask you? From what I understand, NYCOM interviews approx. 600 students and excepts about 1/2 that amount...they wouldn't be interviewing you if they didn't think you were a good candidate. I have my own interview coming up there in a few days...help! Please let me know what to expect.

7. joedo

Resident [Any Field]

They asked me about every bad grade I ever received and why I retook the MCAT. It didn't seem like they liked my answers either.
    Best advice I can give you is to be able to defend any inconsistency in your application (grades, MCAT) - if you have any. If you do that you should be fine.

Good luck.

ps check out interview feedback.

8. Fenrezz

Fenrezz AT Stills Worst Nightmare
    7+ Year Member

You guys would be surprised how often someone gets accepted after having a horrific interview. Often times interviewers grill you just to see how you react to a stressful situation because they know you're really nervous at that moment.

That's not to say that sometimes interviewers are just plain jerks with a chip on their shoulder, but you never know.

Here's wishing you guys lots of luck!

(P.S. the interviewers here at OSU would never do something like that! :D )

9. joedo

Resident [Any Field]
    I did.
    KCOM is a great school and i'd love to go there.
    I got a letter from them saying they wanted to see my Fall '02 grades before they review my file.

Bleh.

10. kiwi219

kiwi219 Member
    10+ Year Member

Just out of curiosity, did anyone else have an unpleasant interview experience at NYCOM?