Significance of founding year of school on matching primary care?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1013355

x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's IM/FM. Even if there's a negative impact, you're good as long as they don't fail you or you fail the boards.
If that's your only A, take it.

Reactions: 2 users
Got my first A today and my parents were concerned I wouldn’t be able to match because it’s so new; saying that going to a pre-accredited school is “too risky.” If I know I want to do either FM or IM, will going to CHSU impact me negatively for match chances versus Touro for example?
It will absolutely negatively impact you, but you can't match into anything if you don't go to medical school. If it's your only acceptance, go there. It's still early though, hopefully you'll get another acceptance, and all this will be a moot point.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got my first A today and my parents were concerned I wouldn’t be able to match because it’s so new; saying that going to a pre-accredited school is “too risky.” If I know I want to do either FM or IM, will going to CHSU impact me negatively for match chances versus Touro for example?
It will affect you but not nearly as much as going to a DO school itself will affect you. Anecdotally, my clinical training has been questioned on occasion on the interview trail coming from a (well established) DO school. I've been a little taken back by the few interviewers that are surprised I rotated with residents during my 3rd and 4th years. Granted, it has only occurred during interviews at academic programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you compare the match lists for the inaugural classes of new DO schools to the match lists of established DO schools, you’ll see that there’s virtually no difference. The canned wisdom on SDN about established DO schools being better than new ones is baseless and idiotic. Most PDs don’t recognize the names of any DO schools and have no clue how old they are.

A DO degree is a DO degree. Whether you match will really come down to your own individual academic and extracurricular profile, regardless of which DO school you attend.

Reactions: 2 users
If you compare the match lists for the inaugural classes of new DO schools to the match lists of established DO schools, you’ll see that there’s virtually no difference. The canned wisdom on SDN about established DO schools being better than new ones is baseless and idiotic. Most PDs don’t recognize the names of any DO schools and have no clue how old they are.

A DO degree is a DO degree. Whether you match will really come down to your own individual academic and extracurricular profile, regardless of which DO school you attend.
Nah I mean that's true for acgme places but there is regional recognition of DO schools. I
promise you the PD's of the state MD schools around my DO school have heard of my school but prbly haven't heard of DO schools on the opposite side of the country even if they are more established. There is a lot regional bias in this. But the more established DO schools have affiliations with residencies(even in competitive specialties)and that's the huge plus. Having the ability to rotate at a site with residencies makes it easier to match there and makes it easier to audition/do a Sub-I there your 4th year. This is something that the brand new schools struggle in.

Reactions: 1 users
It will absolutely negatively impact you, but you can't match into anything if you don't go to medical school. If it's your only acceptance, go there. It's still early though, hopefully you'll get another acceptance, and all this will be a moot point.
This. Of course a pre-accredited school is riskier than an accredited one. (And DO is riskier than MD.) But a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush; if you just have the one acceptance, don’t turn it down.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.