Significance of RBC count in a CBC (vs. Hb/Hct)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ruban

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been reading a lot of CBCs lately and there's something I'm still not clear on:

When screening for anemia, I usually look primarily at Hb, Hct, and MCV. If Hb is low, I might want iron studies, retic count, and a few other indices to further evaluate the process.

The CBC also gives me an RBC count, however, and truthfully I'm not too sure what to do with it. Any tips on how to interpret a low or high RBC count (assuming Hb/Hct are normal?)

Thanks!
:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that if the patient has a normal crit and isn't experiencing any symptoms (I wouldn't expect any, unless there's some kind of polycythemia thing), then don't worry about it.

A high RBC count can be seen in beta-thalassemia trait, in the absence of anemia. Since people with beta-thalassemia trait are asymptomatic, and other lab values tend to be normal, this may be the only way to suspect that a person has it. It is important to know if you are a carrier, since the gene can be passed to offspring. Although this situation is very rare, and you will probably be able to get away with not looking at the RBC count, it's important to keep in mind.