Significant Other attends medical school, any help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thermacare

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi im applying this cycle and if my significant other already attends "x" medical school, should i include in the secondary for "x" medical school that my significant other attends there? I wonder if it would help? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi im applying this cycle and if my significant other already attends "x" medical school, should i include in the secondary for "x" medical school that my significant other attends there? I wonder if it would help? :confused:

This could be perceived as desperation or brown-nosing or name-dropping or all three. It could also be neutral, but it's difficult to imagine that it would help you in any significant way. Best to leave it out.

If she/he is your fiance or husband, it would be goo to include it in the "why this school?" question

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Fivo. I haven't been in this position exactly, but I don't see any reason why it would be looked upon negatively. Students choose schools for a variety of reasons, family and significant others being two of them. When deciding where I wanted to attend MS, I had to consider my fiancé and her potential to find a job in the area, among other things. Just make sure you express several reasons why you are interested in the school when completing the secondary. For obvious reasons (I think), you don't want to make it seem like your SO is the only thing you like about the program. Good luck!

I'm at a school where my SO is a year ahead of me. I included her in my secondary, and I think it MAY have helped get an interview, but the real help was definitely in being able to show, after the interview, my interest in the school (letters of interest, drop-ins, basically harassing the admissions people lol).

Just bring up the statistics on long term relationships; that might be enough to convince adcoms.