Significant other influencing acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mimi1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My boyfriend is currently applying to PhD programs in neuroscience at some of the same medical schools that I am applying to. He is a very strong/competitive candidate and will most likely get into the schools that he is interviewing at. One of his interviews is at a school that I am currently on hold at, post-interview. I have read that if a school really wants a PhD applicant to attend, then they might accept his or her significant other into the school as well. Has any one heard of this happening or have experience with this? I am hoping that this particular school will want my boyfriend to attend so much that maybe it will help with my acceptance there. Is this possible, at all???

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard similar things about two MD applicants, but they were actually married. I think marriage might play a huge factor rather than just boy/girlfriend. But there is hope!!!

I am not an expert in this, but in my opinion, I don't think it would necessarily get you into med. school. Maybe it would help you as far as connections and networking , but I don't think it would be gauranteed. So, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Maybe if you guys were married it would help you out more. :love::scared: