Significant other make a difference in admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

walrus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you're girlfriend (or boyfriend for that matter), for example is at a particular med school, do you think it helps your chances at admission? How should one approach this situation if they really want to go to school with their sig. other??

anyone know anyone who's been in this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

I am pretty sure that girlfriends and boyfriends are not taken into account. However, wives and husbands are. I know some schools allow transfers for sig. others only. Hmmm... I think this parallels the whole adjunct faculty positions?

Blues

what about fiancees?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by walrus
what about fiancees?

haha...contemplating popping the question now? :)

Just wondering what the level of your commitment must be in order for an admissions committee to really take the situation into account. Will an adcomm look at a candidate more closely if their fiancee is a student at a school? Has anyone ever known of any cases where this has improved someone's chances of admission? If so, what is an appropriate way of letting a school know you really want in b/c your sig. other is there?

Originally posted by greniedgal

haha...contemplating popping the question now? :)

thats hillarious

Originally posted by walrus
Just wondering what the level of your commitment must be in order for an admissions committee to really take the situation into account. Will an adcomm look at a candidate more closely if their fiancee is a student at a school? Has anyone ever known of any cases where this has improved someone's chances of admission? If so, what is an appropriate way of letting a school know you really want in b/c your sig. other is there?

I would think you actually have to be married. But I think that only applies for transfers, not for first year admissions. I think boyfriend/girlfriend/fiancee/fiance would make absolutely no difference. Anyone could say that they have a significant other at the school!

-RA

Originally posted by Random Access
I would think you actually have to be married. But I think that only applies for transfers, not for first year admissions. I think boyfriend/girlfriend/fiancee/fiance would make absolutely no difference. Anyone could say that they have a significant other at the school!

-RA

not necessarily true, over the past 2 years a number of young women have transferred into tufts in the second year because they had bf's (not necessarily fiancees) in the Boston area. Also, one guy in my class last year was living with his gf who was applying to Tufts and had not heard anything from them. He contacted the director of admissions several times, and finally in early January Mr. Slavin called him and told him that there had been a cancellation for the next interview day and that they would be glad to interview his girlfriend. I don't know if she got in or not but it seems that some schools DO take personal relationships into account. I'd try to find out through students at your sig. others school what the school's informal policy tends to be on this matter, since the school will probably not tell you anything.

yay, my 500th post, COOL!:D

i have heard that if you are already accepted at a school and oyu write a letter to the school you prefer and tell them about a fiance or spouse there is a better cahnce of getting in there but only if you are already accepted somewhere