Significant other

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheeezcake

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just had a few questions on applying with a SO that I should of brought up earlier haha

1. My hometown school is where my SO lives, I’ve applied but haven’t mentioned her yet. My stats are above theirs a bit and i believe i’m fairly competitive there, but would this warrant some sort of update pre-interview, or post-interview?

2. How close of a distance would a school have to be to where my SO is, for it to be a compelling reason to mention to a school? (Hopefully you understand what i mean). I want to be as close to her as possible, and wondering if i should mention this to schools that are 5+ hours away, or in the next state over..

Members don't see this ad.

My guess is it would only be appropriate to mention during an interview along with the other reasons for applying to Hometown SOM; I personally wouldn't mention it to schools not within reasonable driving distance.

Reactions: 4 users
You could also briefly mention it in a “why our school?” Type of prompt or question. Obviously you would need other reasons. I would not contact them to specifically mention this pre-interview unless it is late in the cycle and you haven’t heard anything

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Connections to the city can be mentioned during interviews. It can also be tagged onto a post interview update. If you haven't received an interview invite by November, it wouldn't be unreasonable to let the school know then that this is among the reasons why you want to matriculate there. The worst that can happen is you still don't get an interview invite.

Last edited:
I may be alone on this, but what does SO mean? When I hear it I weigh its importance as spouse>fiance(e)>>>boyfriend/girlfriend ~ tinder date. If they are just a girl/boyfriend when you mention it I would definitely say significant other of XX time. If it's a fiance(e) or spouse definitely mention that fact too. We are looking for ties to the area, and as callous as it sounds, relationships end all the time. If your boyfriend of 3 weeks is your only tie to my area and the entirety of your social support network, I would take it under consideration as "what will happen to cheeezcake when this relationship ends?"

I may be alone on this, but what does SO mean? When I hear it I weigh its importance as spouse>fiance(e)>>>boyfriend/girlfriend ~ tinder date. If they are just a girl/boyfriend when you mention it I would definitely say significant other of XX time. If it's a fiance(e) or spouse definitely mention that fact too. We are looking for ties to the area, and as callous as it sounds, relationships end all the time. If your boyfriend of 3 weeks is your only tie to my area and the entirety of your social support network, I would take it under consideration as "what will happen to cheeezcake when this relationship ends?"

I completely understand where you’re coming from

Is your SO a med student? An applicant? No connection to the school?if if a wife or fiancé it might be okay to mention it during an interview or a post interview update but I’m not sure I’d go writing a letter or anything now. If it’s a bf/gf I wouldn’t mention it at all. Your goal is to get in a med school, not a particular med school. If you are above their stats and the school knows you are from that city you will probably get an interview anyway. Did you mention anyplace that you grew up in the town and have family and friends there for support? If so that should be enough.

Reactions: 3 users
Is your SO a med student? An applicant? No connection to the school?if if a wife or fiancé it might be okay to mention it during an interview or a post interview update but I’m not sure I’d go writing a letter or anything now. If it’s a bf/gf I wouldn’t mention it at all. Your goal is to get in a med school, not a particular med school. If you are above their stats and the school knows you are from that city you will probably get an interview anyway. Did you mention anyplace that you grew up in the town and have family and friends there for support? If so that should be enough.

Good point, thank you!