significant others, fiancees, partners, etc...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lulubean

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey there -

thought i'd start a thread for people to post questions on med school and their partners. i have two questions to start off -

1) is it inappropriate to bring your s.o. to second look weekend? i would like to bring my bf since he will be coming with me, but want to see how you all think that would fly.

2) does getting married affect how much financial aid you receive?

Members don't see this ad.

lulubean said:
hey there -

thought i'd start a thread for people to post questions on med school and their partners. i have two questions to start off -

1) is it inappropriate to bring your s.o. to second look weekend? i would like to bring my bf since he will be coming with me, but want to see how you all think that would fly.

1) From my understanding, it is highly appropriate, especially if the other person has never been to that area before. One of my good friends brought his gf to his Umich 2nd look and there were plenty of significant others there. I am definitely having my wife come with me to any that I go to.

2) Yes it does. If you get married, you need to include their income on any financial aid stuff you file. However, if you are under 24, there can potentially be a benefit as well. Once you are married, you are no longer considered a dependent student (even though you are still under 24), and as an independent student, your parents' income will not need to be disclosed anymore. Seeing as it is more than likely that your new spouse makes less than your parents, this can be a very good thing.

lulubean said:
hey there -

1) IMHO, you should bring whoever you need to make the best informed decision for your future. If that's your bf, go for it. If its your mom, do it. Mind you, don't bring an entourage, but one or two people (or pets) whose opinion you value can go a long way.

2) It depends on the creativity of your accountant ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
lulubean said:
hey there -

I plan on bringing my partner with me to second look weekend. I was wondering if and how I should ask the admissions people if this is appropriate. The s.o. could get in the way of interacting with potential classmates. But my s.o. has to see the area because my decision to attend the school has to be a joint one. I wonder what people on SDN think.

I don't think you should get married as this will raise your expected family contribution - especially if your boyfriend has a good job. If he is a student as well, then by all means, get married. However, a working spouse is a cash horse to the financial aid people. Don't do it till your final year of med school. I agree with the earlier post which suggests that an under-24 person could benefit from this. However, not all institutions release you from parental contribution. I believe Duke will include your parental income regardless of age. Every school has a weird way of calculating family contribution. The best advice is not to get married as this just adds one more familial source of income.

GuyLaroche said:
I don't think you should get married as this will raise your expected family contribution - especially if your boyfriend has a good job. If he is a student as well, then by all means, get married. However, a working spouse is a cash horse to the financial aid people. Don't do it till your final year of med school.

Actually, I think marriage brings a level of devotion to a relationship that will help it last through med school. I might be biased because I'm married :p But I really don't think concerns for financial aid should determine whether you get married! Most of us will be in lots of debt no matter what, so whatever contribution from your spouse's income won't make a huge difference. Plus you won't have to take out loans for cost of living. Like GuyLaroche said, if he's a student it isn't even a factor. My husband is in med school so our aid package will actually probably get better once I get into med school myself :p

I'm married and am older (read: 30's) and I still am submitting my parent's financial info. Its my understanding that while school's are not *requiring* that I provide that info, but I would only be eligible for Stafford and Direct (federal) loans if I didn't. i.e.-The Health Professional Loan is only offered to students that submit parental info. However, I was also told my parent's won't be expected to contribute anything to the EFC. They don't have much to contribute anyway, but that is what I was told by every school I talked to.

RE: SO's at second look- I'm married so this is a mutual decision. Plus we'd have to look into housing and day care together.

thanks so much for all the feedback, everyone!