FirefighterDoc

MS-4
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2009
Illinois
Status
Medical Student
I currently live and was born in Chicago. When i was ~5 my family moved to Miami and i started school there. I lived in Fl through middle school before coming back to Illinois.

Now i think i have significant ties ( more so than the average person who has never even been to Fl at least) And i definitely would love to move back to Fl and would even practice there if i become a Dr.

What i am worried about is whether i will even receive a secondary from the Fl schools because my OOS status. Provided the rest of my application isnt holding me back that is.

Does anyone have any information on how Fl schools screen? Would there be any way to convey this information pre-secondary? Also my parents plan on moving back eventually, would that help me if they are there by the time I apply?

Thanks!

Dial71

10+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2008
Status
Medical Student
As far as I understand, FL state schools are very selective regarding OOS students. I don't have an MSAR in front of me, but both USF and UF take only a handful of OOS canidates a year. UM is much more lenient.

I am sure that the few they take are canidates with significant ties to the state, so that's one good thing for you. Do you plan on staying in the state to practice medicine?

GatorPhD

Moon River!!!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Hmm...I'm not sure about pre-secondary, but if you get a secondary from UF, then there is an optional essay on "Your ties to Florida". My situation was that my wife and I were born and raised in FL, lived there for 25 years, attended UF (BS, MS, PhD) and then left to do a Postbac program in PA for the 2008-2009 academic year. Now, we are in Chapel Hill working. We contacted UF before we even applied and asked them if they would consider our ties to the state. Oh yeah, our families are still there and we still own property in FL. The admissions office said they would consider us in-state for acceptance purposes, but OOS for tuition. We ended up getting a secondary and eventually, interviewed and accepted.

My advice is to communicate with the admissions offices of the schools you're interested in. They will consider special circumstances if it seems legit. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions.

Good luck,
Gator

dr zaius

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was born in Florida, lived there until age 4, and moved back from age 13-15. I applied to UF, Miami, and UCF. I had no problems getting secondaries and interviews. I clearly stated my ties to the state and desire to move back. I was accepted at UF, waitlisted at UCF, and declined the UM interview (late in the season and I was very burned out).

I was worried about my OOS status, but I think if you put together a cogent argument for your ties to Florida they will consider you. Hope this helps!

FirefighterDoc

MS-4
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2009
Illinois
Status
Medical Student
Thanks guys, its great to see that people have been accepted being in similar situations.

To those who did, would you mind me asking how your stats were compared to their averages? Like would an OOS applicant need to be more competitive to be accepted? Im assuming it would probably differ from school to school .

dr zaius

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I had a little over a 3.7 undergrad and 35 MCAT. Finishing up a master's degree currently.