Signing a contract outside of match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuriousDoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading in another post that DOs and FMGs are allowed to sign contracts outside of match. They would still go through the match system, but they would have already signed the contract to their top choice. Do schools really offer this option to DOs? I'm a DO in my fourth year going allopathic in IM. If this is possible, this would take so much stress off my year!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you're right. Everyone, in fact, except 4th year US allopathic med students can sign a "pre-match". They tried to out-law it this year but apparently it'll be legal for 2004.

I don't know much about this, but it's a general consensus that programs which offer pre-matches are of the less-competitive kind. Being a US student, you would probably have no problem matching into a good IM program.

I'm not sure but I think pre-matches were originally intended for older graduates of foreign countries who were completely certified when they applied. I've seen people writing about pre-matching with just step 1 and so on but I think it was meant for the "I-can-start-tomorrow"-types.

From what i was told by PD's, there will be no more signing outside the match. My year of ERAS (last year, 2002-2003) was the last year of any signing outside the match... it was true, FMG's/DO's could sign outside the match.

But apparently, no more.

Fear not, the IM world is way open for DO's.

Q, DO

No, Quinn, they were saying that for a while but the NRMP just released a statement that the rule would be delayed indefinitely. There was a thread on it not too long ago.

Still, the pre-match isn't neccesarily a good thing. At the end of the day, there's still the same amount of seats going around.

They would still go through the match system, but they would have already signed the contract to their top choice.

If an IMG or whoever signs a pre-match contract he/she is obliged to withdraw form the match, I believe...

Here is the truth Ruth:

The word now is that for 2004 match, programs either have to offer all spots outside the match or all spots through the match...................no more mixin and matchin. 2003 was the last year programs could be in the match but still offer pre match contracts to DO and IMG's.

One of my friends was offered and accepted a early contract at a top IM program in NY, and they made him withdraw from the match and print a special NRMP page that shows you withdrawed.

Hope that helps chief(S)!

Peace Out,
LG Smoothe D.O.
Class of 2003
Future Gas Passer

IN2BATE, try reading Bellkicker's reply to Quinn, that rule has been POSTPONED indefinitely!!!!! There's a position statement on the NRMP website.