Signing Contracts b/f the Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medlaw06

Just Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all.

Some of my friends who interviewed (and now have just begun their residencies) told me of instances where the person interviewing them (or the PD) stated to my friends to the effect of "we really like you and would have you #1 on our match and was wondering if you would sign the contract with us now."

I thought this was illegal?

If it is NOT illegal, then does this occur often?

Finally, even if it IS illegal, does this still happen "frequently" (in other words, is this one of those things that is TECHNICALLY illegal, but happens nonetheless "behind closed doors.")?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's legal for IMGs, DOs and USMG re-applicants, as far as I know.

Most likely, it will be illegal for everyone very soon.

BellKicker said:
Most likely, it will be illegal for everyone very soon.

I'm not so certain about that. If it looks like the NRMP might lose that lawsuit, they will continue to put it off, or scrap it altogether.

Be careful about those programs that want you to sign out of the match.

I know some people who have been very happy signing out of the match (these people actually ASKED their number 1 to sign them out of the match, and they did and all are happy), and some others that have gotten really screwed because they underestimated their chances of actually Matching.

DO NOT SIGN unless you're really certain you'll be happy there. If they're willing to sign you out of the match, they're probably going to rank you. If they don't rank you, and for some reason you don't match, the scramble and the open post-scramble positions are still good possibilities.

DON'T SIGN if they give you a tight deadline (less than a week). This is a pressure tactic - mostly vs IMGs - designed to make you sign before you're ready to do so. Tell them if they really want you they should be willing to give you enough time to think about it.

Hi

It is illegal if you are going through the Match. For US grads it is mandatory to through the Match, so you can not sign a contract. There is a rule coming up that ALL programs have to offer all spots through the Match, but with the lawsuit I'm not sure when that will be implemented.

IMGs can sign a contract but are required to withdraw from the Match. If one signs a contract and matches at a different program, you will break a contract with one of the programs. Either way, you're in trouble.

good luck
lf

Hi everyone,
this is a scenario ,pl comment
Suppose a person is offered a prematch( i guess that is what is meant by signing the contract before match), will he/she have to withdraw from the match altogether .what i mean to say is .......if a preliminary position is in question and the prematch offer is from an advanced position

Yes, if you sign before the match you are out of the match.