Signing then Backing Out of Retail Contract

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmLand

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've recently stumbled onto this forum and it's been so helpful!! I'm a P4 on the job hunt now in a metro area that's saturated with no retail or hospital positions within the 50-100 mile radius. I've worked with WAGs for the past 3 years during pharmacy school, took their scholarship and recently received a couple offers in the rural outskirts of the city. I need to either sign or not sign really soon (before the year is over) but I may have an opportunity to get a job in one of the local hospitals in the city. But the job requires me to apply after graduation and licensure in May. We all know that nothing in life is guaranteed, I really don't want to rely on this one glimmer of hope because if I don't get the job in May, everyone will have signed with retail at that point and I will be stuck searching again with no back up, and probably a really hard time finding any position. So question is, how bad is it to sign with WAGs now and back out in May if I get that hospital position? Is this major bridge-burning? I already know I'll have to pay back the scholarship, which is fine. But how can I handle this situation without burning bridges with a major chain? Any thoughts or advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Your first loyalty must be to yourself. If you sign a firm contract then will be a penalty in some way, if a contract of intent then be humble, and just say more attractive offer for your long term future has come along. This is a common problem with students applying for unis and pre reg (intern) places.
johnep

not a problemo at all....i took sign on, relocation, scholarship, and just returned all of it....i didnt even tell the supervisor cuz he didnt return my calls....i just called their accountant up, cut a check, and mailed it to the department.

scholarship money isnt affected by taxes, so if its now or next year, you return same amount

the other 2 get taxed, so if its within that same year, you return the money after tax, but if its next year, you then have to return the original amount and then file a return of credit form (its a pain)....my advice, take the money, put it in a savings acct, and if you get that other job, just return it, and if you dont, that means you are staying with wags and then can spend that money.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same situation. What if you're still willing to work part time for the retail company? Would they be considerably less likely to work with you after backing out of a FT position?

^^actually no, im more attractive as PT b/c they dont have to give me same benefits and they always have bout 20 hours available a week that they have hard time filling

Thanks for the insight guys! I really don't want to be on anyone's "no hire" list right now especially with such a bad job market. I just really want to work close to home in SF. Working PT seems like a good option though. Is it difficult to get a PT retail position right now?

Hi everyone!

I've recently stumbled onto this forum and it's been so helpful!! I'm a P4 on the job hunt now in a metro area that's saturated with no retail or hospital positions within the 50-100 mile radius. I've worked with WAGs for the past 3 years during pharmacy school, took their scholarship and recently received a couple offers in the rural outskirts of the city. I need to either sign or not sign really soon (before the year is over) but I may have an opportunity to get a job in one of the local hospitals in the city. But the job requires me to apply after graduation and licensure in May. We all know that nothing in life is guaranteed, I really don't want to rely on this one glimmer of hope because if I don't get the job in May, everyone will have signed with retail at that point and I will be stuck searching again with no back up, and probably a really hard time finding any position. So question is, how bad is it to sign with WAGs now and back out in May if I get that hospital position? Is this major bridge-burning? I already know I'll have to pay back the scholarship, which is fine. But how can I handle this situation without burning bridges with a major chain? Any thoughts or advice?

There is nothing wrong with this. You take the job that is open right now. If something opens up later you are under no obligation to stay. Turn your two weeks notice in, pay back the money you own and move on.

Part time work at evening/nights, weekends and Public Holidays usually always available.
johnep