Silence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bold311

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i just found this forum a few days ago... wish i had found it sooner! Anyway, I turned in all my AMCAS stuff in late July, completed and resubmitted secondaries by mid September, and received AMCAS verification in October. Since then, I have neard absolutely nothing, nothing positive or negative from the eight schools to whom I submitted secondaries. Can you all clue me in to any possible reasons for this?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well it's still early. Also, I hope you don't mind me saying, but you did apply to a very small amount of schools.

You are not alone. I am on a similar time-line and I have heard back from only one school thus far. I am not sure why this would be as my stats are competitive. Some possible reasons:

poor personal statement;
poor letter of recommendation;
their saving the best candidates to interview last;
this process is totally freaking random;
my phone is off the hook, my e-mail is down, and my mailman is stealing my mail;

Members don't see this ad :)
There have been a couple of topics similar to this one posted lately. From what everyone is saying, this is an unusual year due to the AMCAS fiasco, terrorist attacks, and anthrax scare. A lot of people seem to be in this predicament and many of those people have stellar stats. I know that I am waiting to hear from just about all of the schools that I applied to. However, I can't help but to get more anxious with each passing day.

Try calling them and asking them what is up :)

Just as a heads up, most of the activity is going to be dead until after Jan. 1, so relax and enjoy the holidays.

charleb: are you certain of this?

i agree with charleb32--there will be a LOT of movement after the holidays. it's still pretty early before the new year, so schools will buckle down soon. part of the reason for this is that for most schools, january is past their deadline for returning secondaries, so they now have an idea what their applicant pool for that year is like, which allows them to make decisions on their applicants. but the movement that occurs isn't necessarily good--it may be a rejection!

Originally posted by mpp:
•their saving the best candidates to interview last•••

This is the story I give everyone!

Originally posted by md2be06:
Originally posted by mpp:•

This is the story I give everyone!•••

Now I'm embarrassed since I see the glaring grammatical error...I really meant "they're" of course...the fingers move faster than the mind...

As long as it doesn't dramatically affect the interpretation, I don't care. Then again, the SDN spelling and grammar police may still be lurking. I think there were 20 posts or so a week ago regarding the spelling of "awesome," and then another thread criticizing those that chose to point out the errors in the original post. I think AMCAS has driven everyone crazy!

•Now I'm embarrassed since I see the glaring grammatical error...I really meant "they're" of course...the fingers move faster than the mind...•••

SDN has a helpful edit function -- the little pencil icon above posts -- with which to go back and fix glaring errors that become embarrassingly obvious! :D I use it all the time! There doesn't seem to be a time limit, and you can even delete the post altogether, in case you decide the mind wasn't moving at all!! ;)

I also use the edit function a lot. But once somebody has quoted you in another post, you can't edit it. So you see, once md2be06 quoted me I was forever stuck with my poor grammar revealed. Unless of course md2be06 goes in and changes his post and edits my quote. Then I'll go back and change the original...

Originally posted by Bold311:
•Hi guys, i just found this forum a few days ago... wish i had found it sooner! Anyway, I turned in all my AMCAS stuff in late July, completed and resubmitted secondaries by mid September, and received AMCAS verification in October. Since then, I have neard absolutely nothing, nothing positive or negative from the eight schools to whom I submitted secondaries. Can you all clue me in to any possible reasons for this?•••

Welcome to SDN!! :D You did amazingly well considering you were without the helpful information to be found here. I know I could not have gotten things in as soon as I did (I submitted AMCAS and was verified around the same time as you, but I continued getting secondaries in through October, November and December) without SDN. Another possible reason for not hearing, beyond what mpp's already mentioned, would be if you took the August MCAT. Some schools have been very slow in getting those scores from AMCAS and getting them into files. And I do have to concur that you applied to a very small number of schools. The whole process is so random that it helps to apply to as many schools as possible to increase one's odds. I applied to 23, and I've heard of people on this board applying to 30, 40, and 50 schools (the latter two figures seem wildly absurd to me, but I guess some folks are really risk-averse!! Anyway, best of luck to you, it really is early, and you might consider adding a few schools if deadlines haven't passed.

•I also use the edit function a lot. But once somebody has quoted you in another post, you can't edit it. So you see, once md2be06 quoted me I was forever stuck with my poor grammar revealed. Unless of course md2be06 goes in and changes his post and edits my quote. Then I'll go back and change the original...•••

I should have known that you'd know that!! You seem to know everything!!! :D I was wondering what would happen if I tried to delete a post that others had replied to...

Hey at least you aren't being rejected. Be happy for that.