nasya

10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Status
Does anyone know what kind of wrist watch I can buy with a silent timer so I can wear it during the MCAT and time myself without the alarm going off?

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
nasya said:
Does anyone know what kind of wrist watch I can buy with a silent timer so I can wear it during the MCAT and time myself without the alarm going off?
You can use pretty much any watch chronograph you want if you push the button at the same time the proctor starts his. Most people won't be able to start a timer that probably makes a noise and track you down by your one single beep at the same time...

Phil Anthropist

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2004
Visit site
Status
Try opening your wristwatch (i.e. unscrew the back as if you were replacing the battery). If you see a little flap of metal sticking up, that part is often used to make sound. If you either cut it off or tape it down with a piece of electric tape (less destructive), the sound should be disabled. And then of course, put the back of the watch back on. This works on many watches...

VPDcurt

2K Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Phil Anthropist said:
Try opening your wristwatch (i.e. unscrew the back as if you were replacing the battery). If you see a little flap of metal sticking up, that part is often used to make sound. If you either cut it off or tape it down with a piece of electric tape (less destructive), the sound should be disabled. And then of course, put the back of the watch back on. This works on many watches...
Yeah that's what I did too. It's either a little flap of metal or a really small spring. I just used needlenose pliers and plucked it out. The watch never made a sound again.

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just reset your watch to noon, and for PS, you've got until 1:40 for time. It's not rocket science.

M

moogy

I use this timer when I take practice passages/tests. You can easily silence it by using the methods mentioned above.
Would I be allowed to bring something like this into the actual examination?

TheProwler said:
Just reset your watch to noon, and for PS, you've got until 1:40 for time. It's not rocket science.

VPDcurt

2K Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
moogy said:
I use this timer when I take practice passages/tests. You can easily silence it by using the methods mentioned above.
Would I be allowed to bring something like this into the actual examination?
Nope. Read the MCAT Essentials Publication.

tigress

queen of the jungle
10+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
VPDcurt said:
Nope. Read the MCAT Essentials Publication.
my husband used a kitchen timer similar to the one in that link; he opened the back and cut the cord to the sound.
He was allowed to use this on the MCAT and I believe was following the advice of his instructors in TPR

gdk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
fyi, if you're really worried about it and don't want to break your watch components.... just open the back up and put a piece of scotch tape (or a few peices thick) on the inside of the watch back plate. that should silence the beeper

good luck.. man, i'm glad i don't have to take the mcat ever again!

M

me_771

Go to Walmart and buy a Digital timer from there, it ranges from 5$-7$. just open the back and cut the wires to the speaker and you'll be fine, Good Luck.

lane113

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
You can also order a silent timer on line. Check out www.timerdude.com. I think a silent timer is about $14 with free shipping and handling.

Tinker Creek

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
Status
Quoting aamc:

Due to advancing technology and the widespread availability of digital image capturing equipment, no timers are allowed for the MCAT, except wristwatches (and we prefer analog watches).