Silly question, but in what sort of envelope did you mail supplementaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FaithBuild18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it acceptable to fold the applications into thirds and stick them in regular envelopes? Or should I use one of those nice big, paper sized brown envelopes to keep everything nice and neat? Do they care?

Members don't see this ad.

Fold that bad boy! They do. Almost all of my correspondence from schools was in a regular envelope. The mass of papers they sent certainly warranted for a flat envelope, but they just packed it in.

If you want to stand out, send it in a pink one and put a little perfume on it. Gold!

I think it would depend on what you are submitting? For example, UDM requires a 2x2 signed photograph and a check. I wouldn't use the brown envelopes for that. But if you are submitting actual applications via mail....I'm not sure. I don't think they would mind if you used regular envelopes? But I'm not sure. See what others are doing? Those applying to same schools anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
My advisor said the big manila envelopes look more professional.

The schools for the most part use regular #10 envelope for correspondence.

If they happen to send you a booklet or something along with it like UPenn or Case then its easier for the to use a larger envelope.

Only time I sent a big envelope was 2 years ago when UCLA supplemental required you print it out and mail it in. It was 14 sheets so it got a bit thick.

Just use your best judgement. If its too thick that its practically bursting at the seams then use the larger envelope.

The schools are not going to give you a negative mark for sending a check in a regular envelope or folding up a few sheets.

I sent my only supplemental thus far in a full-paper size envelope (I don't know what you call those) padded with bubble wrap and all. It just seemed more professional to me.

Regular envelopes are fine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

I figured all secondary apps would be online. Do a lot of the schools have you hand write secondaries and mail them?

so far I've used regular envelope just for checks. Full size brownies for the printed paper supplementals. Don't think it matters, really.