It's cool I would have got carried awaySorry to ruin the fun.
Taking the MCAT late will mean a late app and could ruin your chances this cycle. Sounds like the best thing for you would be to take the job and apply when you come back. Your work experience will help you and you will be able to apply at the beginning of the next cycle. Ultimately you will have to decide how badly you want to do the teaching job.Actually, I am most likely nuts. Here's the deal, peeps:
I've been offered a job as a science teacher in Somaliland, which is REALLY far away from these here United States. The job is from August 2010- August 2011. I will be paid enough money that I could afford one, possibly two, trips home to the States for interviews. (Though I'd much rather make just one trip if possible.)
I really don't know what my chances are for getting an interview, and the last thing I want is to decline this fantastic job opportunity just to wait around for an interview that might not come my way.
Here's what I've got going for me:
I don't have a GPA from my undergrad institution (UC Santa Cruz)
I have a 3.9 in my premed prerequisites
I was a Peace Corps Volunteer (health education) in Cameroon from 2004-2006.
I worked for one year as a patient care tech at a hospital.
I have not taken the MCAT yet, but plan to in the next few months. Yeah, I know that could make the difference either way...
Thanks for reading, and for any words of wisdom.