Silly thread: Additional perks of going into medicine...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My desirability in the event of a zombie apocalypse will increase exponentially. :thumbup:

Feel free to add your own!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
exceptional thanksgiving turkey carving skills

You can say "IT'S OK, I'M A DOCTOR" in appropriate situations, such as in refusing to tip the pizza delivery guy.

*Also, swimming pools filled with gold dubloons.

* only applies to derm/rads

if you live in a mountainous area where it snows your road will be one of the first to be cleared.

yeah, there's a fairly new subdivision on the north side of town that is on a pretty steep mountainside, and the architect who designed a lot of the houses lives there. he was telling me that initially the city said "if it snows we wont be able to come up here blah blah blah" and he was cool with that, but then two docs moved in right next to him and now they clear it as fast as they can!

Free use of the following phrases:

"I'm a doctor, not a _____!"

"Please state the nature of the medical emergency."

"He's dead, Jim."

Oh Geeks, you'll love this one because of Chicklet:

Signing your kids' millionth health waiver form because every field trip and sports tryout requires medical clearance, and scheduling a checkup for that stuff is far too much work.

Being able to say to someone as they wake up, "the good news is that you're alive. The bad news is that we had to remove a large portion of your brain."

Members don't see this ad :)
Having all my mail addressed to Dr. Rhesus Pieces. It's the small things that count.

EDIT: Better--wedding invites announcing the marriage of Dr. Rhesus MiddleName Pieces and Mr. John Q. Doe. BOOYAH WHO'S GOT THE FANCY DEGREE? THIS GIRL!

I am going to put off marriage until after med school just so I can do that.

Having all my mail addressed to Dr. Rhesus Pieces. It's the small things that count.

EDIT: Better--wedding invites announcing the marriage of Dr. Rhesus MiddleName Pieces and Mr. John Q. Doe. BOOYAH WHO'S GOT THE FANCY DEGREE? THIS GIRL!

hahaha I've had this same thought! Plus being called "Dr. and Mr. ______" instead of the usual "Dr. and Mrs."

Oh Geeks, you'll love this one because of Chicklet:

Signing your kids' millionth health waiver form because every field trip and sports tryout requires medical clearance, and scheduling a checkup for that stuff is far too much work.
You are right, I do love that. :D

hahaha I've had this same thought! Plus being called "Dr. and Mr. ______" instead of the usual "Dr. and Mrs."
I also love these!

your SO's better be extremely well-endowed or awfully wealthy, otherwise, i'm predicting early and massive mid-life crises.

being able to say "trust me, i'm a doctor" after pretty much every statement.

You can arrange for your beeper to go off during meetings/gatherings/events you'd rather not stay for. When you leave early everyone assumes it's because you're obliged to dash off to save lives.
brilliant.

You can arrange for your beeper to go off during meetings/gatherings/events you'd rather not stay for. When you leave early everyone assumes it's because you're obliged to dash off to save lives.
I can see this coming in handy quite often.

you can pull out the "I save lives for a living" to put other people's careers to shame/pull hot tail in bars.

you can pull out the "I save lives for a living" to put other people's careers to shame/pull hot tail in bars.

This.

Also, if your a doc and you don't wear a lab coat and have cane…..you can be House.

I can just see it now....

"Whoops, that's my beeper, gotta run!"
"Wait....aren't you a dermatologist?"

Being able to tell your barber that you're not paying. :)

When a flight is overbooked, if you are on the roster as "Dr" they won't bump you.

Also, if you are on standby, and you are on the roster as "Dr" you get moved to the head of the line:)

My family went on a cruise a few years ago and somehow the "Dr." box for my mom's title was ticked. We got special treatment the whole time (more so than any other cruise we had been on annyway).

This was a joke I had going on for a while since I'm applying MD/PhD:

"That's right, I'm a doctor. Twice."

mmm breaking gender barriers... I <3 this!

Plus, this would officially show that I wear the pants in my relationship. :smuggrin:

Just one more reason for him to feel like Rodney Dangerfield...

mmm breaking gender barriers... I <3 this!
I use to get so mad at my all-girl socially progressive high school for not having "Mr. and Dr." or "Dr. and Dr" tick boxes to send out to alumni. Just "Dr. and Mrs." ARGHHHHH

I think that's the whole reason why I decided to make sure to get a "Dr." degree oneday... though being a physician will be a plus.

And yes, I will be complaining to my high school about their lack of titles one day.

and geekchick -- thanks for letting me know that I will be the man of my married relationship one day. I think my bf is going to stop school after his master's. yesss. It will be Dr. and Mr. :)

Typical pre-med not getting it. People don't care if you are a doctor. If you use the Dr. play when it isn't needed, people don't like that. Saying you are Dr. blah blah on anything unrelated to your job is not proper social etiquette.

When you get married go and have them announce you as Dr. blah blah and blah blah are now husband and wife. Maybe then you will see how stupid that sounds and how selfish it makes you look.

Some friendly advice for you. When sending out a wedding invitation, just use your normal names. I once got a wedding invite from a person using the Dr. line and it was the most pathetic wedding invite I ever got. I have been to two weddings where doctors got married (besides the stupid invite I got above that I never went to) and neither talked about being a doctor for a split second the whole day.

You are getting married to another human. There is no need to broadcast to everyone that you are a doctor.

:thumbup:

Since when does "breaking gender barriers" mean advertising your "intellectual" superiority over your male significant other? You actually say "yessss" to your boyfriend not getting a doctorate. You've crossed the line where feminism turns into sexism.

Typical pre-med not getting it. People don't care if you are a doctor. If you use the Dr. play when it isn't needed, people don't like that. Saying you are Dr. blah blah on anything unrelated to your job is not proper social etiquette.

When you get married go and have them announce you as Dr. blah blah and blah blah are now husband and wife. Maybe then you will see how stupid that sounds and how selfish it makes you look.

Some friendly advice for you. When sending out a wedding invitation, just use your normal names. I once got a wedding invite from a person using the Dr. line and it was the most pathetic wedding invite I ever got. I have been to two weddings where doctors got married (besides the stupid invite I got above that I never went to) and neither talked about being a doctor for a split second the whole day.

You are getting married to another human. There is no need to broadcast to everyone that you are a doctor.

ooohh look at the new SDN etiquette police!

don't use titles on a wedding invitation if you're the ones getting married, true. that's lame. however, if these two have a child who gets married someday, it will be proper to use the titles as the parents, viz.

Dr. Rhesus MiddleName Pieces and Mr. John Q. Doe request the honor of your presence at the marriage of their daughter Elizabeth Doe to Conor Smith, blah blah

this is the preferred and proper way to do it, yet not a business setting.

The_more_you_know.jpg

If you actually do that people are not going to like you.

Only if you don't have a family remember not in the healthcare field because if there is a nurse in the family they will know how the system works. Otherwise you will be screwed.

Only if you are good looking, appear to have a "big feet" and are not a fresh attending that isn't over 200K dollars of debt.

Hot ladies are attracted to men that have MONEY, not debt.

Learn to multi quote so you are slightly less annoying. Based on your analysis of every single post in this thread, I have concluded that it is YOU that is the humorless pre-med that doesn't get it. Also...

Dear bowner,
il_fullxfull.97789657.jpg

Sincerely,
rHinO1 :smuggrin:

If you actually do that people are not going to like you.

Oh dear god what have I done. I've created a monster. Thanks for clueing me in to modern etiquette because otherwise I was going to order a million of those little personalized M&M's that say DR. Rhesus Pieces and send out wedding invites with DR. highlighted in glitter.

Ok, clearly I'm not going to prance around waving my M.D. in the air (well, maybe for about an hour immediately following graduation). But when I'm in a circumstance where I am given the option (in a formal situation) of being referred to as "Miss/Ms/Mrs" or "Dr." CLEARLY I'm going to choose Dr.!!

Oh dear god what have I done. I've created a monster. Thanks for clueing me in to modern etiquette because otherwise I was going to order a million of those little personalized M&M's that say DR. Rhesus Pieces and send out wedding invites with DR. highlighted in glitter.

Ok, clearly I'm not going to prance around waving my M.D. in the air (well, maybe for about an hour immediately following graduation). But when I'm in a circumstance where I am given the option (in a formal situation) of being referred to as "Miss/Ms/Mrs" or "Dr." CLEARLY I'm going to choose Dr.!!

:laugh: this is why procrastinating on SDN is more fun than spending your Saturday learning about the autonomic nervous system :barf:

:laugh: Nice ASSumption. I've been married for two and a half years, actually. Our wedding invitations didn't even have Mister and Miss on them, just our given names.

Also, regardless of how someone chooses to word their names on their own wedding invitations, if they ever receive an invitation to someone else's wedding, they should be addressed with the spouse with the professional title listed first. Every single website I have seen about this since I was addressing my own invites has said this.

And for the record, my husband couldn't give half a crap that my name will be listed before his.

Hey.

Be nice.

:hello:

I'm imagining a Lloyd Christmas situation where you go tearing down an airport jetway and when the gate agent tries to stop you, you flash your badge and say, "It's ok! I'm a doctor!"

....Only to spill out of the open end from whence the airplane has just taxied out of.

This is why saying Dr. blah blah for a wedding invition or any other situation where you say/list Dr. when it isn't needed makes you look selfish or stupid.

Marriage: Blah blah is marrying blah blah. Dr. is not marrying Dr. Dr. is not marrying janitor. Get the difference? If not, you need some growing up to do.

Checking: Some people do this, but when you are writing out a check (I know, a rare occurrence in today's world), and a person sees Dr. blah blah written as the name on the check, the person seeing it will think, "I don't give a **** you are a doctor. Give me the money and get lost."

Airport and the like: That is fine because they will know a doctor is on the plane for emergency situations.

Restaurants: Dr. blah blah has registrations for blah time. Douchy thing to do. Just wait until you get the looks. Or some person standing behind you that is richer than you will mock the hell out of you.

Using the Dr. line in the bar doesn't work if you don't have the social skills, a bulge in your pants, and/or are ugly.

Who invited this guy?