Similar Situation (I don't want to move)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Optimistic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can't comment on your situation, per se, but you could also add UCLA/Drew to your list of med schools in the LA area. It is very small.

The better your MCAT, the better your chances will be.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't comment on your situation, per se, but you could also add UCLA/Drew to your list of med schools in the LA area. It is very small.

The better your MCAT, the better your chances will be.

Only add UCLA/Drew if you are strongly interested in working with underserved populations as that is what their focus is on (you will do your clinical clerkships in underserved areas).

Your GPA is very solid. If you only want to attend CA schools, then it's your decision to apply accordingly. Just study like hell for the MCAT and do as well as you possibly can. Apply and hope for the best. It is very competitive though, as you know, and you may have to apply more than once. And I wouldn't say UCI is the "easiest" to get into. I've heard of people getting straight up rejected pre-interview at UCI that were accepted to UCSF and UCSD, which are generally considered to be much more competitive. UC schools just all seem to look for a different "it" factor.

I would encourage you to look into Western though as a potential back-up in case MD schools in CA don't work out. If you are interested in FP/IM, then DO will in no way hold you back. As a pharmacist, I've worked with Western 3rd and 4th year students at various clinical sites. They have all seemed quite competent and knowledgeable. Their match list seems to show that those who have gone into FP or IM are able to secure places in some solid residency programs: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7413523&postcount=640

Last edited:
It's hard enough to get into medical school without these geographic limitations. California is so highly competitive, and I don't just mean numbers-wise. It seems that the UCs are getting more and more picky each year - looking for applicants that really stand out or have something very special to offer. That, and the whole application process is really more random than we would all like to admit.

You should really talk to your wife and make her understand that it is not as easy as it sounds. Our spouses have so much confidence in us sometimes that they think there is nothing we cannot do. Now, that's not necessarily a bad thing, :) but it sometimes puts enormous pressure on us and makes it hard to make realistic plans.

If you are really set on not moving, do well on your MCAT. This is a MUST. Score 10 or higher in every section. Include the DO schools in your list as Minimoo suggested. Make plans for more than one application cycle. I really hope you won't have to reapply, but I personally know Cali people (trads and nontrads alike) that I thought had strong apps, yet did not get in anywhere in the state! Be fluent in Spanish to maximize your chances especially in the SoCal schools.

Good luck!:luck:

I was in a very similar situation. Married w two young kids, living in southern CA. Our preference was to stay in SoCal, but we were open to moving. I had a 3.5 GPA, 34Q MCAT. I applied to all the CA schools as well as 20-some OOS schools. My wife and I chose the OOS schools together based solely on geography. I was rejected pre-interview at every CA school except UCI, where I was eventually waitlisted after an interview. I was (thankfully!) accepted at 7 of the OOS schools, including a couple top ten schools and ivies. The application process (especially in CA) is extremely arbitrary. You just have no idea where your application will get traction.

If you can, ask your wife to read a few of these threads to better understand the application process. And then if she is on board, apply to all the CA schools (and maybe Western as well if you are open to DO) as well as whatever OOS schools you are both *somewhat* open to the idea of moving to. My guess is once you guys start looking at a map together you might open up to broadening out your school search just a bit. At least check out U of A (Tucson AND Phoenix) which now accept OOS applicants and is closer than NorCal.

You and your wife have both put a lot of work into this and have a lot at stake. You do not want to get stuck with 0 acceptances. And you can always say "no" if you get in somewhere and decide that you just can't make it work. It's always better to at least have options. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you (or your wife) have more questions!

I just want to say I'm in the same boat as you. I am married with a 15 month old, and we plan to have at least one more child before I'm done medical school. We were both born and raised in the Philadelphia area and nearly all of our family and friends (read: our entire support system) and want to stay here. Part of me wants to just apply to the 4 MD and 2 DO schools in/around Philly (UMDNJ-SOM isn't too far). I don't want to thread-jack but my stats are in my MDApps if anyone wants to see.