dpark74

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2002
Visit site
Status (Visible)
I'm new at SDN and would like to see if anyone in this crazy world has experienced or known a situation like mine. If not, at least it's a story that may give someone hope.

I graduated with a 2.97 from U of WI in chemistry. I had a GPA 3.5 before my junior year. After that year, it dwindled to a 2.8 and somewhat rebounded to my final GPA after my senior year (3.9 sci that year). Obviously not a good cum GPA, so I went to grad school and obtained an MS with a 3.92 in chem and pursued research. (5 yrs total with a publication and two national posters)

I took a practice MCAT a couple years ago and the result was a dismal 21. No surpise since I had last stepped into a physics or bio course over 7 years ago. I studied my ARS off for months while working full time. I also took Kaplan (a great course if you put the effort into it) and received a 34 for the April 2002 exam.

My chances are definitely hurt by my undergrad GPA and it has been the focal point in my rejection letters so far(Mayo and Stanford). However, I was able to pass screens from UIC and Loyola (prob. because I am an IL resident).

I would appreciate any feedback (positive or negative) about my situation.

Good luck to all of you this year.

:)

Centrum

SMILEY KING
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2002
TX
Status (Visible)
Another
! Hello!

ocean11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2002
Visit site
Status (Visible)
The fact that you did grad school is an advantage in my opinion. I know that in Canada (were I'm from) they look favorably on students with a grad degree.... at U of Toronto you need a minimum of a 3.6 for them to look at you (realistically 3.7) BUT if you have a masters you just need at 3.0 and you're guaranteed an interview.... I know MANY people who got in this route.

If it makes you feel better one of my good friends is applying with a 2.1 (yeah Cum and Science) to Howard and the carribean... yeah she's really brave and I respect that.... nutz though to sleep through undergrad like that.....

About the Ads

dpark74

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2002
Visit site
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by ocean11
The fact that you did grad school is an advantage in my opinion. I know that in Canada (were I'm from) they look favorably on students with a grad degree.... at U of Toronto you need a minimum of a 3.6 for them to look at you (realistically 3.7) BUT if you have a masters you just need at 3.0 and you're guaranteed an interview.... I know MANY people who got in this route.

If it makes you feel better one of my good friends is applying with a 2.1 (yeah Cum and Science) to Howard and the carribean... yeah she's really brave and I respect that.... nutz though to sleep through undergrad like that.....

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads