Similar situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpark74

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new at SDN and would like to see if anyone in this crazy world has experienced or known a situation like mine. If not, at least it's a story that may give someone hope.

I graduated with a 2.97 from U of WI in chemistry. I had a GPA 3.5 before my junior year. After that year, it dwindled to a 2.8 and somewhat rebounded to my final GPA after my senior year (3.9 sci that year). Obviously not a good cum GPA, so I went to grad school and obtained an MS with a 3.92 in chem and pursued research. (5 yrs total with a publication and two national posters)

I took a practice MCAT a couple years ago and the result was a dismal 21. No surpise since I had last stepped into a physics or bio course over 7 years ago. I studied my ARS off for months while working full time. I also took Kaplan (a great course if you put the effort into it) and received a 34 for the April 2002 exam.

My chances are definitely hurt by my undergrad GPA and it has been the focal point in my rejection letters so far(Mayo and Stanford). However, I was able to pass screens from UIC and Loyola (prob. because I am an IL resident).

I would appreciate any feedback (positive or negative) about my situation.

Good luck to all of you this year.

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Another
newbie.gif
! Hello!

The fact that you did grad school is an advantage in my opinion. I know that in Canada (were I'm from) they look favorably on students with a grad degree.... at U of Toronto you need a minimum of a 3.6 for them to look at you (realistically 3.7) BUT if you have a masters you just need at 3.0 and you're guaranteed an interview.... I know MANY people who got in this route.

If it makes you feel better one of my good friends is applying with a 2.1 (yeah Cum and Science) to Howard and the carribean... yeah she's really brave and I respect that.... nutz though to sleep through undergrad like that.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ocean11
The fact that you did grad school is an advantage in my opinion. I know that in Canada (were I'm from) they look favorably on students with a grad degree.... at U of Toronto you need a minimum of a 3.6 for them to look at you (realistically 3.7) BUT if you have a masters you just need at 3.0 and you're guaranteed an interview.... I know MANY people who got in this route.

If it makes you feel better one of my good friends is applying with a 2.1 (yeah Cum and Science) to Howard and the carribean... yeah she's really brave and I respect that.... nutz though to sleep through undergrad like that.....

welcome! im from mchenry and hope to go to med school someday as well.