1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Simple quantum question

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by jammin06, Apr 27, 2004.

1. jammin06

7+ Year Member

Sup everyone, i'm workin on the EK chemistry book right now, and i just came across the following question:

Compared to an electron with a principle quantum number of 1, an electron with a principal quantum number of 2 will have:

lower energy
    higher energy
    negative spin
    positive spin

I think the answer is higher energy, but the book tells me that it's lower energy. Can someone explain this concept to me? Thanks a ton.

2. duck2005

duck2005 Member
    5+ Year Member

nope. HIGHER energy. the lowest energy = ground state = lowest n. Furthermore, Energy of e- = -R/n^2. R is a constant. higher n = lower (R/n^2) = higher -R/n^2. Don't forget the negative in that equation. Plus, more generally, lower energies have aways been associated with lower n.

higher n does, though, mean lower ionization energy. energy of an e- in orbit is negative. energy of freed electron (after ionization) = 0. thus, the higher the n, the higher the energy (which means less negative), and the less energy necessary to raise this negative energy to a value of 0.

3. Lion-O

Lion-O Sight beyond sight.
    7+ Year Member

duck2005 nailed it: definitely higher energy.

4. PhatGtDmB

PhatGtDmB Member
    7+ Year Member

w/o a doubt HIGHER energy

5. jammin06

7+ Year Member

woo, so i've found my first error in the EK series....yay for me! maybe this an omen to tell me i wont COMPLETELY bomb the entire mcat :)

6. lihini

lihini Member
    10+ Year Member

I agree HIGHER energy !

7. fun8stuff

fun8stuff *hiding from patients*
    15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    correct! .

8. gdk

gdk Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    you might want to check the errata on the ek website. that one might have already been noted, along with some others you haven't found yet

9. jammin06

7+ Year Member

yea, i posted it on their website, but no one has responded. They changed the format of website, so all the old posts are gone i think. It'll pick back up in the summer when everyone else is using the material though.

10. tae1703

tae1703 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i would say higher energy, unless i completely wasted my time and money going to my selected university

11. ChemMN

ChemMN Member
    5+ Year Member

Everyone here is absolutely correct. An electron must gain energy in the form of a photon to be promoted to n=2. It doesn't radiate energy in this transition.