1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Simple quantum question

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by jammin06, Apr 27, 2004.

1. jammin06

7+ Year Member

Sup everyone, i'm workin on the EK chemistry book right now, and i just came across the following question:

Compared to an electron with a principle quantum number of 1, an electron with a principal quantum number of 2 will have:

lower energy
    higher energy
    negative spin
    positive spin

I think the answer is higher energy, but the book tells me that it's lower energy. Can someone explain this concept to me? Thanks a ton.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. duck2005

duck2005 Member
    5+ Year Member

nope. HIGHER energy. the lowest energy = ground state = lowest n. Furthermore, Energy of e- = -R/n^2. R is a constant. higher n = lower (R/n^2) = higher -R/n^2. Don't forget the negative in that equation. Plus, more generally, lower energies have aways been associated with lower n.

higher n does, though, mean lower ionization energy. energy of an e- in orbit is negative. energy of freed electron (after ionization) = 0. thus, the higher the n, the higher the energy (which means less negative), and the less energy necessary to raise this negative energy to a value of 0.

4. Lion-O

Lion-O Sight beyond sight.
    7+ Year Member

duck2005 nailed it: definitely higher energy.

5. PhatGtDmB

PhatGtDmB Member
    7+ Year Member

w/o a doubt HIGHER energy

6. jammin06

7+ Year Member

woo, so i've found my first error in the EK series....yay for me! maybe this an omen to tell me i wont COMPLETELY bomb the entire mcat :)

7. lihini

lihini Member
    10+ Year Member

I agree HIGHER energy !

8. fun8stuff

fun8stuff *hiding from patients*
    15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    correct! .

9. gdk

gdk Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    you might want to check the errata on the ek website. that one might have already been noted, along with some others you haven't found yet

10. jammin06

7+ Year Member

yea, i posted it on their website, but no one has responded. They changed the format of website, so all the old posts are gone i think. It'll pick back up in the summer when everyone else is using the material though.

11. tae1703

tae1703 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i would say higher energy, unless i completely wasted my time and money going to my selected university

12. ChemMN

ChemMN Member
    5+ Year Member

Everyone here is absolutely correct. An electron must gain energy in the form of a photon to be promoted to n=2. It doesn't radiate energy in this transition.