1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

simple question about acidity

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by 134317, Mar 6, 2007.

1. 134317

134317 Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    What's more acidic? An ether, or an aldehyde?

e.g. CH3-O-CH3 vs. CH3CHO

Thanks!

2. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Staff Member Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    The aldehyde is more acidic. And the acidic proton is NOT the aldehyde one (i.e., the one attached directly to the carbonyl). It's the methyl group protons that are acidic.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OP
    OP

134317 Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Sweet. Makes sense. Thanks a lot.

4. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    :thumbup: It has to do with the electron pull away from the methyl by the carbonyl/aldehyde or something like that. It leaves one of the methyl protons feeling less welcome.

5. al3ck

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Keto enol for?

6. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
    Q,

Just a curious question, but the acidity of an ether and aldehyde and other organic groups can also be explained in terms of their electron withdrawing and electron donating capacities right???

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. HelpingHand

HelpingHand Where's my white coat?
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Ethers are not very acidic at all. Remember that acids are supposed to be good at donating protons.

I've always wondered, is there a general acidity spectrum of organic compounds?

(Most acidic) Carboxlylic acids > Aldehydes > Alcohols > Esters > Ketones > Ethers > Alkanes (Least acidic)

Something like this?? :confused:

8. QofQuimica

Staff Member Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Yes. A carbonyl is electron withdrawing, while an alkoxy group is donating. So you could explain their relative acidities in terms of whether they stablize or destabilize the conjugate base's negative charge.

9. QofQuimica

Yes, except that alcohols are usually more acidic than aldehydes, and the acidities of carbonyl compounds overlap with one another. Also, don't forget about alkynes; they're fairly acidic as far as hydrocarbons go. So I would make your list like this:

(most acidic) carboxylic acids > alcohols > alpha protons of carbonyls (esters, aldehydes, and ketones) > alkynes > ethers > alkanes (least acidic)

10. Nikki2002

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
  11. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Don't forget to add in phenol!

You know you have to put in the aromatic factor too.

More fun!!

12. QofQuimica

You did NOT just post in this thread to make faces. I expect more from you. :mad: :p

13. Nikki2002

Medical Student
  14. Nikki2002

Medical Student
    my one o-chem prof was HOT!! omg omg OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi Q =)