Simple questions, new to the forum :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barev

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. These questions have undoubtedly been answered countless times on this forum. But.... big cookies to those who answer. :)

I'm currently an undergrad with an expected graduation of Spring, 07. I have purchased Kaplan DAT, topscore DAT tests, shaum's review of bio, and barron's preperation for dental. Is there anything I'm missing that's also very helpful?

Also, I originally planned on taking the DAT's in August, but am now being told that it may be kind of late. When is a good time to apply to be ahead of the game? What would be a good date to take the DAT's? I've started studying, but haven't gotten far into it as I had planned on spending my summer studying, but if it's considerably beneficial to apply before summer, I will reprioritize my time to get some DAT studying done.

TIA for anyone's input.

Members don't see this ad.

barev said:
Hi everyone. These questions have undoubtedly been answered countless times on this forum. But.... big cookies to those who answer. :)

I'm currently an undergrad with an expected graduation of Spring, 07. I have purchased Kaplan DAT, topscore DAT tests, shaum's review of bio, and barron's preperation for dental. Is there anything I'm missing that's also very helpful?

Also, I originally planned on taking the DAT's in August, but am now being told that it may be kind of late. When is a good time to apply to be ahead of the game? What would be a good date to take the DAT's? I've started studying, but haven't gotten far into it as I had planned on spending my summer studying, but if it's considerably beneficial to apply before summer, I will reprioritize my time to get some DAT studying done.

TIA for anyone's input.
Take the DAT when you are as prepared as possible. If you have lots of free time in the summer then take the test in August. I think that applying in August with a DAT score in the 20's is better then in May with 17-19's. August is still a competitive time to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
try to submit your AADSAS as soon as possible (this is the most important thing!). the 2007 cycle will open up mid-may but you can log into the 2006 cycle now so you'll know what to expect.

if you need the summer to study for the DAT, study hardcore june/july and plan to take it early/mid august (but definitely make sure you are ready because you'll have to wait 90 days if you have to retake it). i took mine mid-september and it didn't hurt me (luckily).

get on top of your letters of rec and personal statement this spring so they don't hold your application up.

best of luck :luck:

As far as LOR's are concerned, I currently can get several from practicing dentists, however, I think you need atleast 3 from professors, 2 being science professors? Is this correct?

I'm currently doing research under a professor who does not teach at the school, but is employed by the school. Can a letter from him count as one of my 2 science professor letters?

And thanks much for the quick replies :)

cookies.jpg

chomp chomp

barev said:

TIA for anyone's input.

i guess i will get some of the cookies also...get the columbia review "high yeild" series in bio, orgo and gchem (google columbia review). Do AADSAS in may and take DAT no later than aug 5th or so and you should be fine.

I agree with bkwash......finish your AADSAS application in May, submit it as early as possible, then take the DAT early Aug or end of July.

i'm sorry pzak, but just repeating what the guy from harvard said doesn't earn you any cookies! besides... i ate them all :oops:

syn_apse said:
chomp chomp

I was about to give you advice, but instead i'm going to make some cookies... jk. But those cookies look deliSH!

Unless I am mistaken, you can submit your aadsas before you take your dat's. Submit your aadsas ASAP- like another poster said, this is the most important part.

Here is how I studied for the DAT and I had pretty good success... School ended, I took the weekend off, then that next monday I took a practice test from the Kaplan book/ CD. I did marginal on it, but it was good because it showed me where I was weak. I spent the next 3 full days studying my weak areas and then took another test. I did a little bit better but found more weak areas... Did the same thing again. I did this for about 3 weeks taking like 5 or 6 tests untill I got all 20's on a practice test.

Then I took the test and did well, except for quant. reasoning. The damn test is so long and grueling (I didn't take a break because I thought I was in the zone :laugh: ) that I was burned out but the last section. I didn't get to the last five questions and took my 19.

If you are dedicated and focused, I don't think more than a month or 6 weeks is necessary to study.

There's some great advice here, thanks. :) Can I start my AADSAS now, and submit the application once the 2007 cycle opens in may?

syn_apse said:
i'm sorry pzak, but just repeating what the guy from harvard said doesn't earn you any cookies! besides... i ate them all :oops:

:( none left eh? :(

barev you can start working on your personal statement, resume and request Reccs. from your teacher

TIA for anyone's input.[/QUOTE]

Definitely DAT Achiever for Bio - the questions were extremely similar, and I liked TopScore for PAT. I took my DATs in August and my applications got out to the schools by I believe the end of September. I had October and November in-state interviews, which were pretty early. But I am sure the earlier you submit your application, the better - it takes ADSAS 5-6 weeks to send your app. out to the schools! Good Luck!! :)

syn_apse said:
try to submit your AADSAS as soon as possible (this is the most important thing!). the 2007 cycle will open up mid-may but you can log into the 2006 cycle now so you'll know what to expect.

if you need the summer to study for the DAT, study hardcore june/july and plan to take it early/mid august (but definitely make sure you are ready because you'll have to wait 90 days if you have to retake it)....get on top of your letters of rec and personal statement this spring so they don't hold your application up....

Welcome to the dental forums! :thumbup:

I agree with this timeline. It takes the ADA just a day or two to turn around your DAT scores and have them sent to the schools (some schools download them, which takes even less time) while AADSAS will take forever and a day.

Your study resources seem to be in order - I used many of the same ones and they served me well.

Best of luck!

Great, I'll get started on the AADSAS asap (as soon as midterms are over...) :(

barev said:
Great, I'll get started on the AADSAS asap (as soon as midterms are over...) :(

Just to make sure you understand, you can take a look as far as to what to expect with the AADSAS application now but you wont be able to submit it. If you answer all the questions and print it out though, it will make it much easier to apply later on though. If you want, you can do the AADSAS the day it comes out and take the DAT in August since it really does take anywhere from 6-8 weeks. Even if schools get the application before the DAT, its not a problem since they will just mark your file incomplete and begin reviewing it as soon as they get your DAT scores. Good luck....