Simple Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t2oo5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When do most pre-meds take the MCAT?
What are secondaries? I dont know much about the application process, so thanks for your patience! (I do searches, but cant find exactly what a secondary is, just thousdands of posts about various secondaries)

Members don't see this ad.

t2oo5 said:
When do most pre-meds take the MCAT?
What are secondaries? I dont know much about the application process, so thanks for your patience! (I do searches, but cant find exactly what a secondary is, just thousdands of posts about various secondaries)

most premeds take the MCAT the april of their junior year. but since it's gonna be computerized now.. im not sure what will happen

as for secondaries.. its the supplemental application that a majority (or every) school has. the AMCAS is the primary app where u fill out info with grades, extracurriculars, and ur personal statement.. but secondaries are specific to the individual schools. they'll ask about family ties to the school, maybe why u wanna go there, and other specific questions. then they'll ask u to write a fat check.

MCATS - April of their junior year, some do August but then they are late applying.

After you fill out the standardized AMCAS application, many (almost all) schools send you secondary applicaton with an additional application fee and essays to complete.

If they like you you then get an interview ans if you do well maybe an acceptance.

PM me is you wantto know more.

Members don't see this ad :)
basically, the secondaries are one of the (many) ways in which med schools get money. lots of it.

On my NYMC secondary, the only thing other than my credit card information that i wrote down is "Cornell University" (my ugrad). I'm not exagerating. And o ye....that cost $100.

They don't earn money from that. They have to pay their secretaries hours to handle and sort the information for if anything in fact, goes wrong. Like an office-bound tornado.