Simple SN2/E2 I'm not understanding...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FROGGBUSTER

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
39262511.jpg

Why isn't this SN2? It's a primary alkane and not branched, so I'm not sure.

Members don't see this ad.

It can also occur as Sn2. It depends on the solvent. You will probably never have to distinguish between the two.

Usually, both reactions occur to some extent. The test will probably make it very obvious which reaction is occurring since its impossible to really know which reaction is favored.

A good hint that its an elimination reaction rather than an SN reaction will be high temperature. High temperatures are often favoring E reactions.

The solvent also gives a lot of info. In general, people/experiments use a strong BULKY base for elimination reactions. This makes the SN reaction less favored compared to the E reaction. This is a poor example, since NaOH is not a bulky base, and can go through either mechanism.

Obviously if they give you the products, it is also a lot easier to see if its an elimination or a substitution.

Usually, both reactions occur to some extent. The test will probably make it very obvious which reaction is occurring since its impossible to really know which reaction is favored.

A good hint that its an elimination reaction rather than an SN reaction will be high temperature. High temperatures are often favoring E reactions.

The solvent also gives a lot of info. In general, people/experiments use a strong BULKY base for elimination reactions. This makes the SN reaction less favored compared to the E reaction. This is a poor example, since NaOH is not a bulky base, and can go through either mechanism.

Obviously if they give you the products, it is also a lot easier to see if its an elimination or a substitution.

I agree that if you see the triangle symbol, it means high temperature or heat is added. Thus, E1 or E2 is favored more than SN2 or SN1. However, BULKY base is used for hoffman or in other words, in order to make a less substituted alkene. However, NaOH is very good for more substituted alkenes. So by looking at the solvent alone, it probably won't help much here since NaOH would work for both. But ya, more bulky base means E1 or E2. I agree.

And LOL, if they give you the products, oh boy, it becomes alot easier to see if it is E or SN mechanism.

Last edited: