Simseema...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beagle

Meet BEAGLE
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where are you applying for the fall?
I sort of have an idea of where to apply---basically private schools ones and public schools in Ca. I don't really know where to apply, so I bet I will end up applying to 20 or so schools.
Is this too much? Just wondering..it's nice to talk to someone who is applying the same time as me
:) BeAGLE

Members don't see this ad.

hey beagle,

The first time I applied, I applied to about ~15 schools. This time I plan on applying to abour ~15 or 20. I think because I'm a less than stellar applicant, I should apply to more schools than the avg applicant (I think most apply to about 10).

Some people would say 20 is a lot, but if you feel like you need to and you can afford it, then do it. I want to maximize my chances, yet I'm still ONLY applying to schools I'd definitely go to. I'm applying to my 2 state schools, and a lot of other private ones (I really want to stay in the northeast!). I think it'd be a waste of money and time to apply to schools you wouldn't consider going to. I don't know how many state schools are there in Cali, but there are def a good # over there on the west coast.

My biggest concern is location...if I'm not happy where I am, I probably won't succeed, so location is key for me. Anyways, let me know how things are going...

later :)

Are you going to apply to the newer dental schools like UNLV or the one in arizona?
I see you're from Ny! I ReALly want to get into a dental school there cause my boyfriend will be moving there after graduation next year :(
anyway, maybe we will be classmates someday!!!

Beagle

Members don't see this ad :)
nope...not applying to UNLV or arizona...I think they're big on instate applicants...I don't want to waste my time applying to schools like that because they'll only take out of staters w/better grades than mine. Let me give you an idea of some schools I'm applying to...stonybrook, buffalo, nyu, columbia, tufts, bu, nova, temple, pitt, umdnj, etc.

although people say they like nova better than nyu, location is big for me, like I said, so any school in nys would be my 1st choice. My family is in albany, my boyfriend in syracuse, friends all over the state...I'd be happier here...

yes, that would be very cool to be classmates...we'll have to keep each other updated once we start applying...

good luck to you penelope :)

Just to add what I know -- UNLV is not big on in-state applicants. Sadly, they can't afford to be. Over 80% of their applicant pool was from out-of-state, and the admissions directors say they don't forsee on that changing for some time (5-10 years).

The AZ school is a private school, so state status will not matter.

thanks for the clarification gavinc :)

BTW I love threads named after me! :D

hehe you're funny Simseema.
I guess that is good news about UNLV and Arizona!
I will be applying there and hoping ANYONE takes me!